Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #6,392 of 9,628
Waiting to hear what you think Shane D. I love mine.

I am curious too. I even paid an extra $10.00 for air freight. Today is a holiday in Canada, so hopefully they leave tomorrow and get here Monday/Tuesday. Ground freight has been crawling for the last three months.

Wondering if I will "get" the Sennheiser magic, finally.
I really enjoyed the HD58X's.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #6,394 of 9,628
Just jumped on these today. I bought an open box pair to check them out.

My Sennheiser explorations have been hit and miss so far. I am not a huge Sennheiser fan and yet today I bought my fifth pair. :ksc75smile:

I really liked my 598C's several years ago and thought they were a Great $99.00 headphone.

Next up was the HD6XX's and I even bought them their own amp (iFi MICRO Icann SE). I was never impressed with them at all. I ended up much preferring Grado SR325e's and Meze 99 Classic's at the time.

Last year I bought a set of used HD58X's and I was super impressed. What a great, fun set of 'phones that punched WAY above their weight.

Several months ago I took a set of HD600's in on trade. I found them fine, functional and adequate. I was talking to a guy on another forum and he kept saying that I HAD to hear them.on a tube amp. Well, I finally bought a tube amp (MAD Ear+ HD II) and Wow!, he wasn't kidding. I did end up selling them on though.

Now it is round 5 and the tie-breaker. Now that I have some decent amps, I want to give the Sennheisers a fair shot. I am very curious how/if they scale with a tube amp.

Reading your post its intresting , because u compared hd6xx with 598cs,99 classics, and grado that 2 of them are closed back with really warm sound and the other on ear open back with very bright highs and no lows ... Thats really strange to understand what kind of sound u like , and the funny think is that HD 6XX is the most neutral of them . So i think u like FUN headphones only for example u want or big bass warm sound or fast and energetic sound from grados and beyers .

And on the end u are writing that u super impressed by HD 58x that makes even more difficult to understand what kind of sound u like ,because yeah they sound more fun than serius HD 650 but not night a day like grados for example.

If i understand correct ... the ( veil) of HD 6XX is what u dont like (smoothness) so if thats it then u gone LOVE HD 660S because they dont have that. But if u DONT like them ... then u just want V sound i advise u to get Fidelio X2HR .

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #6,395 of 9,628
I am curious too. I even paid an extra $10.00 for air freight. Today is a holiday in Canada, so hopefully they leave tomorrow and get here Monday/Tuesday. Ground freight has been crawling for the last three months.

Wondering if I will "get" the Sennheiser magic, finally.
I really enjoyed the HD58X's.
Think of it like HD 58X sound but perfected on the edges like better imaging , the bass its more controlled and tighter like everyone saying, they are way way faster to my ears compared to HD 58X , and also even if they have the same modern fun sound they are not grainy to my ears on some tracks like 58X was.
But you should give them time for pads to get soft and get fit in your head , because you tried a used HD 58X with used pads so u get more bass and more smoothness compered to new pads. Those measurements show that there are differences on FR, older pads more bass smoother treble. hd650.png

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #6,396 of 9,628
Reading your post its intresting , because u compared hd6xx with 598cs,99 classics, and grado that 2 of them are closed back with really warm sound and the other on ear open back with very bright highs and no lows ... Thats really strange to understand what kind of sound u like , and the funny think is that HD 6XX is the most neutral of them . So i think u like FUN headphones only for example u want or big bass warm sound or fast and energetic sound from grados and beyers .

And on the end u are writing that u super impressed by HD 58x that makes even more difficult to understand what kind of sound u like ,because yeah they sound more fun than serius HD 650 but not night a day like grados for example.

If i understand correct ... the ( veil) of HD 6XX is what u dont like (smoothness) so if thats it then u gone LOVE HD 660S because they dont have that. But if u DONT like them ... then u just want V sound i advise u to get Fidelio X2HR .

I do tend to like "Fun" headphones.

I bought the X2HR's at Christmas time to compare them against my HD58X's. The X2's were bassier, but the HD58X's had more forward and clear vocals. I sold the X2's a few weeks after getting them.

I like having several different sound signatures in my collection.

Jul 8, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #6,398 of 9,628
First day with my new toys.First couple of hours was some new music I just bought (Thelonious Monk) via my Violectric V220. Nice sound, everything seemed fine.

Then I start bouncing around into some rock and pop and it wasn't sounding as good. Was it just me? I pulled out my current favourites (Focal Elex) and plugged them into the same amp, which has two outputs.
Wow, talk about a night and day difference! As soon as the Elex's went on, I thought "There's the party!". But they seem a bit bright or noisy. They are definitely W shaped. They give you lots of mids, lots of treble and lot of bass. I find their sound intense and very enjoyable. But I usually change over to something more relaxing after the thrill wears off.
I flipped back to the Senns and all the noise was gone. It was just the vocals and some backing music. Very minimalist compared to the Elex's, but very nice too. Two VERY different ways to recreate music. I have been using "fun" headphones for so long it was kind of a nice departure.
I had the HD600's over the winter but found them boring on anything except a tube amp.

And then my source died. And the charging port is the same port used to tranfer data to the DAC, so the game is over. And then I remember that the 600's come with a 4.4mmm cable. I plug my charging cable into the bottom of my DAP (Sony ZX-300) and then 4.4mm cable into my balanced port. And then I spent 4 to 5 hours listening to music. First off, it was a BIG step down from my SMSL SU-8/Violectric V220 chain. Within a half hour I was used to it, but I am not sure if it was the system or the headphones, but the music sounded "smaller" or "compressed". I played some rocky stuff like Audioslave some other alt rockers and the sound was not great, to me. I decided to try my testing favourite, Florence and the Machine. Wow, did it sound Great! I played her for like and hour and a half and then moved on to Ruby Waters which was more goodness. I then ignored the playlists and just went alphabetically and let it all play. I don't want to form an opinion off DAP usage, but most things sounded really good. I can tell right now though that I would not enjoy Two Feet, Deap Valley, Family Force 5, Sleigh Bells or a lot of Nine Inch Nails with these.
But with vocals centred music, I think these are going to be great and that is most of my music.

Tomorrow I will get back on the system and see how the sound differs from my little DAP run today. My plan is a few days on my SS amp and then move to the tube amp on the weekend. When my balanced cable shows up next week, I will throw them on the Liquid Platinum.

So far I am pretty impressed and keeping an open mind. I think tomorrow I will do some more head to heads with the Elex's and maybe the Sundara's also.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #6,399 of 9,628
First day with my new toys.First couple of hours was some new music I just bought (Thelonious Monk) via my Violectric V220. Nice sound, everything seemed fine.

Then I start bouncing around into some rock and pop and it wasn't sounding as good. Was it just me? I pulled out my current favourites (Focal Elex) and plugged them into the same amp, which has two outputs.
Wow, talk about a night and day difference! As soon as the Elex's went on, I thought "There's the party!". But they seem a bit bright or noisy. They are definitely W shaped. They give you lots of mids, lots of treble and lot of bass. I find their sound intense and very enjoyable. But I usually change over to something more relaxing after the thrill wears off.
I flipped back to the Senns and all the noise was gone. It was just the vocals and some backing music. Very minimalist compared to the Elex's, but very nice too. Two VERY different ways to recreate music. I have been using "fun" headphones for so long it was kind of a nice departure.
I had the HD600's over the winter but found them boring on anything except a tube amp.

And then my source died. And the charging port is the same port used to tranfer data to the DAC, so the game is over. And then I remember that the 600's come with a 4.4mmm cable. I plug my charging cable into the bottom of my DAP (Sony ZX-300) and then 4.4mm cable into my balanced port. And then I spent 4 to 5 hours listening to music. First off, it was a BIG step down from my SMSL SU-8/Violectric V220 chain. Within a half hour I was used to it, but I am not sure if it was the system or the headphones, but the music sounded "smaller" or "compressed". I played some rocky stuff like Audioslave some other alt rockers and the sound was not great, to me. I decided to try my testing favourite, Florence and the Machine. Wow, did it sound Great! I played her for like and hour and a half and then moved on to Ruby Waters which was more goodness. I then ignored the playlists and just went alphabetically and let it all play. I don't want to form an opinion off DAP usage, but most things sounded really good. I can tell right now though that I would not enjoy Two Feet, Deap Valley, Family Force 5, Sleigh Bells or a lot of Nine Inch Nails with these.
But with vocals centred music, I think these are going to be great and that is most of my music.

Tomorrow I will get back on the system and see how the sound differs from my little DAP run today. My plan is a few days on my SS amp and then move to the tube amp on the weekend. When my balanced cable shows up next week, I will throw them on the Liquid Platinum.

So far I am pretty impressed and keeping an open mind. I think tomorrow I will do some more head to heads with the Elex's and maybe the Sundara's also.

Focal Listen also are W shape sound yeah very exciting sound and most of my friends like this sound, but changing to HD 660 everything sound so natural and smooth compared.

Comparison with Elex and Sundaras would be great yeah... Tell us about cables, weight, etch etch ...

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #6,400 of 9,628
Focal Listen also are W shape sound yeah very exciting sound and most of my friends like this sound, but changing to HD 660 everything sound so natural and smooth compared.

Comparison with Elex and Sundaras would be great yeah... Tell us about cables, weight, etch etch ...

I just use stock cables and Amazon interconnects. I do have a cheapie balanced cable on its way from Amazon.

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #6,402 of 9,628
Jul 8, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #6,403 of 9,628
I bought a Periapt cable recently and it was double the price and took six weeks, so I decided to go with the tried and true.

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #6,404 of 9,628
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #6,405 of 9,628

Users who are viewing this thread

Back