Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #5,824 of 9,653
This is why I'm not a fan of the 660s, they munted the treble way too hard. They just sound wrong.

Any "reviewer" that recommended them earned an unsub.

They sound a little different than the 600s and 650s in the upper mids and lower treble. It's actually not a huge difference, but it's pretty noticable comparing directly back and forth between models. Some people actually don't like the boost that the 600s and 650s do in that region, the 660s are arguably more "neutral" (don't like that term personally) with a more even frequency response without that boost. It's really a matter of preference though, but it's not really "wrong" in a general sense.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #5,825 of 9,653
This is why I'm not a fan of the 660s, they munted the treble way too hard. They just sound wrong.

Could it be that you heard just one pair of 660S and it happened to be a bad one regarding treble? There is driver variation. I wouldn't say that my 660S have a muted treble.

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #5,826 of 9,653

No they just sound right.

Reviewers opinions not necessarily reflect your taste.

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #5,827 of 9,653

The beauty of the HD 650 was that it quite difficult to make them unlistenable. That is why I bought the HD 650 back then as the HD 800 (the HD 800S did not exist back then) was quite picky with song selection.

The HD 660S does not have this quality and you might as well get the HD 800S instead.

But the problem with the HD 650, this thing really need high end equipment to shine (else it might sound muddy, lack of bass, veiled, and so on ....).

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #5,828 of 9,653

They sound wrong to u that doesnt mean that sound wrong general speaking.

So Zeos , DMS,Metal, and all other experienced reviewers are wrong and earned unsub ?
In my opinion u are trying to hard to hate them... Every HD series do something different and all of them are good headphones .
By the way all HD6 series have very common sound signature this graph with that deep on highs means nothing on real life usage if u really have a lot of hours on all hd650 and hd660s u gone know for sure that 660 have more energy than any other and maybe this deep is for a reason for this specific hd700 driver .

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #5,829 of 9,653
Could it be that you heard just one pair of 660S and it happened to be a bad one regarding treble? There is driver variation. I wouldn't say that my 660S have a muted treble.
Even with different taste or bad hearing if u hear 650 and the same song on 660 u can easily hear overall more treble energy on 660 and thats a fact ... Unless if something is wrong with the drivers

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #5,830 of 9,653
The beauty of the HD 650 was that it quite difficult to make them unlistenable. That is why I bought the HD 650 back then as the HD 800 (the HD 800S did not exist back then) was quite picky with song selection.

The HD 660S does not have this quality and you might as well get the HD 800S instead.

But the problem with the HD 650, this thing really need high end equipment to shine (else it might sound muddy, lack of bass, veiled, and so on ....).

Like u said the beauty of HD650 is the smoothness veil that make them so popular... But the beauty of HD660s is that they have better separation better imaging tight bass more clear more energy on highs and they dont have that so many people say that on some tracks highs are to much.
I like both of them and both of them are good for different reason.
Its like Saying DT1990 are terible headphone because u dont like the sound signature of them , personally i dont like the DT1990 sound but i never said its a bad headphone i respect what most people say about them i agree its amazing Headphone but not for my taste.

So all this HD650 vs 660s its not about good or bad headphone , both of them are great and both of them have the signatures for all tastes.

Apr 10, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #5,831 of 9,653
Even with different taste or bad hearing if u hear 650 and the same song on 660 u can easily hear overall more treble energy on 660 and thats a fact ... Unless if something is wrong with the drivers

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. One of the things that put me off getting the HD660S for so long was the reported extra treble energy over the HD650. I have two HD650's and now two HD600S's as well, and I heard five HD660S's - four of them including the two I kept, at length. My long term listening tells me that Solderdudes graph is accurate. The HD650 definitely has more treble energy. I hear this over all the samples I've listened to over any number of genres.

However, there's no doubt that the HD660S has more overall clarity than the HD650, and this could be mistaken for extra treble energy. It's also worth pointing out that the graph shown above has an expanded vertical axis to emphasise the differences between the three headphones. The unexpanded graph looks much closer to listening reality.

hd600-vs-650-vs-660-5db-div.png

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #5,834 of 9,653

And the pads, bad pads bad sound.. I think that is where a lot of the 650’s bad rep comes from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back