Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 14, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #5,851 of 9,627
I just found the 300 ohm Sennheisers are a better fit for my vintage receivers. The 150ohm 660S is just too laid back sounding I kind of liked it at first but when I went back to my 600's, I much preferred them for my Yamaha receiver...espeically when I put my old pads back on. They sound so much better than the new ones...which is one advantage of the 600's. The older the pads get, the better they sound.

Have u tried 660s on other dac and also sound more laid back ?

Also about the pads i thought that the more usage the more dampening there is on sound...

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #5,852 of 9,627

Also about the pads i thought that the more usage the more dampening there is on sound...

Funny you should mention the 650's, I just bought new old stock pair in the silver box, from a guy who used to own a headphone shop. I previously owned the HD6XX and hated them BUT I have made some refinements to my setup and I want to try these again. Thought it might be interesting to have a vintage pair of 650's.

As for pads on the 6 series, the narrower they are the more the bass/mid range increases. That's why the HD600's have the advantage with older pads, since they don't have a lot of bass to begin with.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #5,853 of 9,627

Oops, sorry I thought your post said 650. To answer your question, I have not tried the 660S on another DAC. Nor will I buy anymore DAC's because I have yet to hear anything that sounds better than my Logitech Transporter (not a Logitech fan boy, in fact I'd love to replace it with a USB DAC but can't find one that sounds better)

My vintage receiver's headphone jack has a 220ohm impedance. I find any headphone lower than 300ohm can be all over the map. Some sound too bright, like my AKG K612's, and others sound too smoothed, like the HE-500 and the HD660S. The HD600's are a perfect match. In fact, most vintage receiver owners either have the HD600 and/or the HD650.

So I'm not faulting the 660S. If I could afford a high end dedicated headphone amp, I'd buy one right now and I bet the 660S would sound great.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #5,855 of 9,627
My 660s have these new pads that are more conical than my other 58x and 6xx ... So my left ear some times was touching the inside. I thought maybe i should try the old pads that wasnt so conical and they was a litle better.
The strange thing was that sound was slitly changed with stock 660s conical pads the sound was brighter and the old ones was mudier. A litle bit ...
Is it so.wthing known?

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #5,859 of 9,627
I am running them even with the humble BTR3K.
IMG_20200417_165954745_HDR.jpg

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #5,863 of 9,627
My 660s have these new pads that are more conical than my other 58x and 6xx ... So my left ear some times was touching the inside. I thought maybe i should try the old pads that wasnt so conical and they was a litle better.
The strange thing was that sound was slitly changed with stock 660s conical pads the sound was brighter and the old ones was mudier. A litle bit ...
Is it so.wthing known?

I still don't understand the difference in pads with the 660S. I've had (and in some cases still have) the Ireland 660S, the Romania 660S, the Ireland 6XX, a pair of original 6 series pads I got from Amazon, and I recently found a pair of unopened 650's from 2013. All of these pads are identical, except I've noticed the pads on the 2013 650's are a tiny bit plumper than the others, but the material and shape is the same.

The only 6 series pads that I've seen that are different are the ones from the old black cloth 600's and 650's. They were softer, more comfortable and smoother sounding.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #5,864 of 9,627
I still don't understand the difference in pads with the 660S. I've had (and in some cases still have) the Ireland 660S, the Romania 660S, the Ireland 6XX, a pair of original 6 series pads I got from Amazon, and I recently found a pair of unopened 650's from 2013. All of these pads are identical, except I've noticed the pads on the 2013 650's are a tiny bit plumper than the others, but the material and shape is the same.

The only 6 series pads that I've seen that are different are the ones from the old black cloth 600's and 650's. They were softer, more comfortable and smoother sounding.

My pads are for sure different , Sennheiser ( I think in this specific forum) also official told that there are 2 different types of Pads the old ones that are Donut type and the new ones that are more Conical the cut inside doesn't have the old curved is more flat . I will post some photos to show the difference when I got spare time :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back