Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 29, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #5,867 of 9,618
My pads are for sure different , Sennheiser ( I think in this specific forum) also official told that there are 2 different types of Pads the old ones that are Donut type and the new ones that are more Conical the cut inside doesn't have the old curved is more flat . I will post some photos to show the difference when I got spare time :)

Ok, I can definitely see the difference now. I actually needed a flashlight to do it. The pads that I got from Amazon are identical to the 660S pads (I guess this is a permanent 6 series change) and the pads on my 650's have a different (thicker) shape to them, which would explain why they look a little plumper. I must say I prefer the 650 pads. (As far as looks that is...can't say anything more at this point)

So there have been three changes to the pads now. Interesting.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #5,869 of 9,618
The pads on the 600/650/58X/660 are the same:wink:
The “differences” stem from wear and tear..not a variety of pads. Lots of time and effort has been put into this dilemma...and every time somebody with half a brain and a measurements rig comes along..well we yet again find out about how Sennie pads will change both their appearance over a short time (inside a year) and the fact that the overall sound signature becomes slightly warmer.
That’s about it.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #5,871 of 9,618
The pads on the 600/650/58X/660 are the same:wink:
The “differences” stem from wear and tear..not a variety of pads. Lots of time and effort has been put into this dilemma...and every time somebody with half a brain and a measurements rig comes along..well we yet again find out about how Sennie pads will change both their appearance over a short time (inside a year) and the fact that the overall sound signature becomes slightly warmer.
That’s about it.

The information about the pads being changed comes from Sennheiser themselves during the HD 660 S release, it’s not a rumor that was started but information that Sennheiser released. The slight pad revision was for the whole HD 600 line but it was done when the HD 660 S was released. Early reviewers mentioned pad changes for a reason.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #5,872 of 9,618
The information about the pads being changed comes from Sennheiser themselves during the HD 660 S release, it’s not a rumor that was started but information that Sennheiser released. The slight pad revision was for the whole HD 600 line but it was done when the HD 660 S was released. Early reviewers mentioned pad changes for a reason.
No @kman1211,
I made that mistake, posting as Sennheiser, and said the HD 660 S pads were different. This was because my first experience with the HD 660 S was at Sennheiser's headquarters and flagship store, and apparently the pads on that model was more used than I had anticipated (it was different than the new-old-stock HD 650 + Apogee Groove I had received from Sennheiser in order to be familiar with a popular model), but I redacted the comment years ago. The HD 660 S that I received later, after the more squared-off earcup/yolks design, had the same pads as the HD 650.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #5,873 of 9,618
No KMan1211,
I made that mistake, posting as Sennheiser, and said the HD 660 S pads were different. This was because my first experience with the HD 660 S was at Sennheiser's headquarters and flagship store, and apparently the pads on that model was more used than I had anticipated (it was different than the new-old-stock HD 650 + Apogee Groove I had received from Sennheiser in order to be familiar with a popular model), but I redacted the comment years ago. The HD 660 S that I received later, after the more squared-off earcup/yolks design, had the same pads as the HD 650.

Oh okay, that’s good to know. Thank you for clarifying that.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #5,874 of 9,618
Ahh that makes better sense to me as I too seem to remember reading an official note from Sennheiser that basically said ‘only one kind of pad for the 6-series’.
I think most of these rumours simply stem from folks who have been using worn pads for a while...and then try on a brandspanking new pair. The feel as well as the overall sound tightens up...to some it even sounds like a new headphone:)
Just goes to show how much pads can make a difference.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #5,875 of 9,618
Ahh that makes better sense to me as I too seem to remember reading an official note from Sennheiser that basically said ‘only one kind of pad for the 6-series’.
I think most of these rumours simply stem from folks who have been using worn pads for a while...and then try on a brandspanking new pair. The feel as well as the overall sound tightens up...to some it even sounds like a new headphone:)

The pads make a big difference and I always preferred the pads when worn, the HD 650 for instance doesn’t get that characteristic rich smoothness until the pads wear in imho. I never personally thought they were much if any different but never really owned an older and newer HD 6xx headphone at the same time.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #5,876 of 9,618
I apologize for my role in this misinformation... the more bowl-shaped pads I tried seemed like a nice instantly comfortable improvement! Now/then I learned why?? Despite Wedemark not being a large city, it's kind of good to know their demo units were getting demo'd a lot! If I get the chance to relay any further information on this topic, I will... but keep in mind, the product managers and engineers are always busy working on new stuff, so I tend to get info in batches.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #5,877 of 9,618
I apologize for my role in this misinformation... the more bowl-shaped pads I tried seemed like a nice instantly comfortable improvement! Now/then I learned why?? Despite Wedemark not being a large city, it's kind of good to know their demo units were getting demo'd a lot! If I get the chance to relay any further information on this topic, I will... but keep in mind, the product managers and engineers are always busy working on new stuff, so I tend to get info in batches.

I would like somewhat deeper more bowl-shaped pads too but I also know that would be a challenge to make without hurting the sound. Owning headphones with deep pads/earcups can spoil you comfort wise. Hopefully another full-sized open back in the works, would like to see something between the HD 660 S and HD 800 S sometime in the not so distant future.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #5,878 of 9,618
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #5,879 of 9,618
Hmm, well, the HD 660 S was already intended as the model between the HD 650 and HD 800 S, especially since the HD 700 was discontinued:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones

But, you never know what the future holds...

True I did gather it was meant to replace the HD 700 given it's similar driver appearance. I was really just was thinking about the huge price gap between the HD 660 S and HD 800 S. The HD 660 S is one my favorite Sennheisers sound wise, found it very addicting to listen to and is basically what I wanted out of an improved HD 600/650. Didn't work out for a strange reason in the long run actually which did make me sad as I loved the sound of the headphone, it made me dizzy with extended listening which took me a while to figure out as I was dealing with some health issues at the same time. Maybe it's related to the ear infection issues I had when I was an infant and why I likely have sensitive ears.

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #5,880 of 9,618
Ok, I can definitely see the difference now. I actually needed a flashlight to do it. The pads that I got from Amazon are identical to the 660S pads (I guess this is a permanent 6 series change) and the pads on my 650's have a different (thicker) shape to them, which would explain why they look a little plumper. I must say I prefer the 650 pads. (As far as looks that is...can't say anything more at this point)

So there have been three changes to the pads now. Interesting.
O also have the same taste like u the old ones. The difference is minimal .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back