Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 16, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #4,996 of 9,628
I went for my regular ear check up because I have dry wax that tends to block up the canal every 4 years or so and the nurse pointed out how very unusualy straight my canals were like almost perfectly. She actually hurt my ear a little because she went up with the tool assuming I'd have a bend like everyone else.

It hasn't been mentioned to me before but kinda made me wonder what effect that could have on hearing certain high frequencies like the upper mid low treble on HD650. After a bit of research it turns out, depending on the size of the bend how big of peak and where you will get it in the1-7khz range. Well I have no bend so maybe it's creating a huge boost in that upper mid. I don't know just a thought.

And the other thing I can tell you, as a musician who uses moulded hearing protection and has seen many other musicians ear plugs, is that there is a big difference not only in the shape but the actual size of the ear canal. I have a lot of space inside my ear canals (no comments about there also being a lot of space inside my head, please! Haha! :) )

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #4,997 of 9,628
And the other thing I can tell you, as a musician who uses moulded hearing protection and has seen many other musicians ear plugs, is that there is a big difference not only in the shape but the actual size of the ear canal. I have a lot of space in

Very interesting how much of a difference there can be, and how much it can affect how we hear. That alone can explain a lot as to why we have different preferences in audio gear.

I have a lot of space inside my ear canals (no comments about there also being a lot of space inside my head, please! :) )

Well you thwarted that one quite effectively :relaxed:

No worries, I have plenty to spare should anyone need any :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #4,999 of 9,628
660S on Amazon UK down to £336 from £429.

I’ve just received a second pair from Amazon UK (sitting here with me in the pit whilst I’m played a show, having been delivered to the theatre this afternoon! :) ) for the same price. I suspect that they are selling the last of the traditional style ones at a reduced price.

I ordered another pair (now the third) to compare and check for consistency, but I suspect that I’m going to find it very hard to send these back at that price. :wink: And yes, m writing this in the show!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #5,000 of 9,628
I’ve just received a second pair from Amazon UK (sitting here with me in the pit whilst I’m played a show, having been delivered to the theatre this afternoon! :) ) for the same price. I suspect that they are selling the last of the traditional style ones at a reduced price.

I ordered another pair (now the third) to compare and check for consistency, but I suspect that I’m going to find it very hard to send them back at that price. :wink: And yes, m writing this in the show!

Mike are you sure you aren't crazy? You went from waiting so long to buy one set and now you have 3 lol.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #5,001 of 9,628
Mike are you sure you aren't crazy? You went from waiting so long to buy one set and now you have 3 lol.

Haha! Yes, I know! Actually I only have two pairs because I already returned one pair, but you have a point. But you know how it is - once you’ve put your hand into the cookie jar it’s hard to stop! And..... there’s a saying, ‘you don’t have to be crazy to be a musician, but it helps!’ :)

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #5,003 of 9,628
I have received a new cable to replace the extremely long 4.4mm cable that came with the 660 S. Not only is it beautiful, the improvement in sound is mind-boggling. Generally, sound improvements with cables are subtle, but this time, it's quite noticeable. More space between instruments, bigger soundstage, incredible clarity. It's almost like having new headphones. The Cable is the ZMF Michanikos. ZMF is a company that makes incredible headphones (if you have an amp powerful enough to drive them) and side products like this cable. And the quality of their packaging is almost as spectacular as the quality of their products. I am very happy right now.

0AEDF017-6753-4FFA-914A-1A5BC1D400E1_1_105_c.jpeg

D80D9CD2-6DEC-4521-8FD8-77B4E3D11241_1_105_c.jpeg

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #5,004 of 9,628
I think @Mike F is onto something, we are all crazy and being musicians definitely helps going further into the deep end. I myself have over 23 thousand usd invested in a home stereo system but sadly I haven't found headphones that talk to me. My wife also plays some very expensive harps so I am very lucky that my spouse does not mind (to a point) of my expensive hobby.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #5,006 of 9,628
Yeah, I just took advantage of this. Amazon suggests the cheaper ones are a new version, and the product code matches that on the sennheiser site but the latter has the £429 price, so I'm not sure they're actually a newer version. They're very good, though.

I can help you! It seems that I was wrong in my assumption that Amazon UK was selling the last of the old style ones at a reduced price. They are the new version!

I can confirm that the new pair sound extremely similar (effectively the same) as the pair which I bought first so there seems to be very good consistency, at least in the ones produced recently. I will send these back though, not least because I just prefer the traditional styling, but also because I just don’t need two pairs.

C741C6B4-A392-4D20-97F1-5E894E6FAC15.jpeg

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #5,007 of 9,628
I can help you! It seems that I was wrong in my assumption that Amazon UK was selling the last of the old style ones at a reduced price. They are the new version!

I can confirm that the new pair sound extremely similar (effectively the same) as the pair which I bought first so there seems to be very good consistency, at least in the ones produced recently. I will send these back though, not least because I just prefer the traditional styling, but also because I just don’t need two pairs.

I mean, to be clear, I don't believe they are a new version - I don't think there's an old version! When Sennheiser say "new HD660S" I think they just mean new compared to the 650. Although I wasn't looking for very long - I sort of intensively researched an amp/dac/headphones for a few days last week and just went for it!

Oct 17, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #5,008 of 9,628
278F506D-4582-43D1-80B3-AA4EF0190F25.jpeg 2EBC079A-4557-4BC9-B33B-18F8B15703F8.jpeg
I mean, to be clear, I don't believe they are a new version - I don't think there's an old version! When Sennheiser say "new HD660S" I think they just mean new compared to the 650. Although I wasn't looking for very long - I sort of intensively researched an amp/dac/headphones for a few days last week and just went for it!

Yes, we’re talking about the new styling which all of the 6 series will have, as opposed the the original styling that they‘ve had for the last 20 odd years! Sonically they are the same!

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #5,009 of 9,628
3F96B2F1-B99A-4A19-B580-0E12062015A0.jpeg
I think @Mike F is onto something, we are all crazy and being musicians definitely helps going further into the deep end. I myself have over 23 thousand usd invested in a home stereo system but sadly I haven't found headphones that talk to me. My wife also plays some very expensive harps so I am very lucky that my spouse does not mind (to a point) of my expensive hobby.

OrganMonster, I shudder to think what I have invested in Hi-Fi over the years, but that’s nothing compared to what I have invested in my musical instruments! But, music is my profession, passion and hobby, so inevitably that’s where much of my money has gone.

How fantastic to have had the opportunity to study with Bernstein! What a musical genius, and quite a character by all accounts! I had the privilege of meeting him sometime in the ‘90’s. He was in London and whilst he was there he did a record signing at Tower Records which used to be one of London’s largest Record/CD stores, based in Piccadilly. I bought a boxed set of the Beethoven Symphonies by the Vienna Phil with him conducting. I waited nervously in line and when my turn came I presented him with the record to sign. He took one look at it and exclaimed ‘Ugh! I always hated that picture!’ and then proceeded to scribble violently with his black marker pen on my new, and quite expensive, records! He might not have been completely sober at the time, but I believe that was fairly normal! Anyway, after the initial reaction he was very pleasant and had a few nice words for an awestruck young man!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back