Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #3,676 of 9,621
I think you posted in the wrong thread since this in the HD660S thread, not HD650/6XX thread
No, I wanted to know how HD 660 S does the vocals in that in comparison to HD 650. If you read his full message that I quoted that should be more obvious. I've tested the HD 660 S twice but just can't reliably recall how they sounded. It's a bit hard to rely on others opinion though, ideally it would be best to try them all on exact same gear.

i think the HD 58Xhave better upper bass/lower mids ,, the 6XX has better sub bass although i never checked the FR charts
regarding the track ,, inserting ,, very inserting ,, usually i don't listen to such fast music ,
but i liked the 6XX (w/ToneKraft cable) better then 660 with this track , it was much comfortable and clearer ,
its strange how we hear things differently . Thanks for the share ..
I like HD 6XX in this because I prefer the more forward vocals. They go just enough over the else. How does the HD 660 S do that in your opinion?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,677 of 9,621
I purchased the 660S when it first came out, but to me it seemed a touch too bright up top. At this point I have a good feeling that things could change for the better once the pads flatten. I think this aspect of the 6-- series is nearly universal. How far the drivers are from one's ear changes the sound signature quite a bit... what a surprise!

I have the 6XX, but I'm thinking that the 660S would be a great compliment. Then again, I'm also thinking that I just want to impulsively purchase it .. just to get that excitement going again. >.>

EDIT: I purchased it. Got it for $325 with free shipping.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,678 of 9,621
You know... There are things that HD 58X does better than HD 650/6XX. The bass is impressive and the speed helps.

So for example, HD 58X's speed helps here a lot and it has nice clarity. HD 6XX can't quite keep up. However, the vocals get kinda lost in the process. I'd like the to be more forward. Forward vocals make HD 6XX better also when listening dialogue heavy stuff (TV series, movies...).

I didn't listen to Wagakki Band much on the HD 660, Because it was very fatiguing to listen to, due to the slightly shouty nature of HD660. HD660 is not really bright, just in your FACE! Vocals do move forward on in, but that depends on what you are comparing it to, I haven't heard any other Sennheisers.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #3,679 of 9,621
I didn't listen to Wagakki Band much on the HD 660, Because it was very fatiguing to listen to, due to the slightly shouty nature of HD660. HD660 is not really bright, just in your FACE! Vocals do move forward on in, but that depends on what you are comparing it to, I haven't heard any other Sennheisers.
Yes, some of instruments (vocals, strings, percussions...) are drawn forward from the soundstage, right to my head. It's due to some peak(s) in treble region. If this is new audiophile level, I don't like it (and its obtrusive after some time). I've heard HD600 or K701 and they haven't this character.
I've found, that HD660s is great for simple vocal or instrumental music. But It fails to reproduce complex band or composition.
That's why I listen to HD660s mostly with worse and warmer amps, which cut off treble peaks.

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #3,680 of 9,621
Yes, some of instruments (vocals, strings, percussions...) are drawn forward from the soundstage, right to my head. It's due to some peak(s) in treble region. If this is new audiophile level, I don't like it (and its obtrusive after some time). I've heard HD600 or K701 and they haven't this character.
I've found, that HD660s is great for simple vocal or instrumental music. But It fails to reproduce complex band or composition.
That's why I listen to HD660s mostly with worse and warmer amps, which cut off treble peaks.

Sadly even LCD2C inherent this characteristic, much less annoying level, but still noticeable on more busy tracks. I had Q701, I lived with them for 2 years, until I swapped them, not because it was bright, but because I wanted Bass...

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #3,681 of 9,621
Thanks. That does seem somewhat similar to how I would describe HD 58X. Especially the "shoutiness". The thing is... It's probably caused by the small mid slump relative to treble then some parts suddenly sound a bit harsher (female vocals more so than male). Though, HD 660 S probably has a bit more refined treble than HD 58X. HD 650 on the other hand has such a smooth inoffensive treble (or anything really) that I've yet to hear a track that would be even borderline fatiguing (also the lower speed might help with that). I do overall prefer fatigue free vs. borderline fatiguing (especially now that I'm sick at home :p). It does go down to personal preference though. People have different tolerances and ear shapes.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,682 of 9,621
Sadly even LCD2C inherent this characteristic, much less annoying level, but still noticeable on more busy tracks. I had Q701, I lived with them for 2 years, until I swapped them, not because it was bright, but because I wanted Bass...
Even though the K701 has weaker and softer bass, it goes deeper than HD660s bass.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #3,685 of 9,621
I received the HD 660S today and immediately thought that the treble was WAY too forward .. but the vocals are amazing. However the highs get a bit too hot too often for my liking.

Which genres do you guys think this headphone excels in?

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #3,686 of 9,621
I received the HD 660S today and immediately thought that the treble was WAY too forward .. but the vocals are amazing. However the highs get a bit too hot too often for my liking.

Which genres do you guys think this headphone excels in?

What headphones have you heard that have forward highs too? Any to compare with the 660s?

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #3,688 of 9,621
It's not the highs, the highs are actually pretty tame on 660, it's the mid range that is in your face. At least compared to something like DT1990.
According to my ears, HD660s has two peaks in treble region:
One is @ 5 - 6 kHz. This peak makes vocals and other middle/hight frequency instruments (strings, percusions, violins, etc.) close to my head and out of the soundstage, as many of you wrote.
Second is @ above 10 kHz (maybe above 15 kHz?) and this peak adds extra detail layer.

This review confirms my suspicion:
https://sonarworks.com/blog/studio-headphone-review-sennheiser-hd660-s/

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #3,689 of 9,621
According to my ears, HD660s has two peaks in treble region:
One is @ 5 - 6 kHz. This peak makes vocals and other middle/hight frequency instruments (strings, percusions, violins, etc.) close to my head and out of the soundstage, as many of you wrote.
Second is @ above 10 kHz (maybe above 15 kHz?) and this peak adds extra detail layer.

This review confirms my suspicion:
https://sonarworks.com/blog/studio-headphone-review-sennheiser-hd660-s/

Yeah, I know it has those kinda high, however, I never really found them that annoying or bright, it's a bright headphone, but not overly so. The problem I had was upper midrange where it was "clustered" and in your face on certain recordings, it was quite annoying. Well for me anyway. It's a good headphone, for those who can handle it. The reason I changed it was more to do with the bass roll off.

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #3,690 of 9,621
When talking about how bright they are or how the bass is.... I found out that the sound is a bit brighter with single ended cable/output. With balanced cable/output the sound is fuller, more bass and slightly softer treble. I personally prefer the sound with balanced cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Penf
Back