Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Aug 23, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #3,661 of 9,628
And what can you tell us about the HD660S?

No need to be that way; I simply explained (at length) why I draw my conclusion, and what it is based on.
You are, of course, more than welcome to totally disagree with me.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #3,662 of 9,628
No need to be that way; I simply explained (at length) why I draw my conclusion, and what it is based on.
You are, of course, more than welcome to totally disagree with me.
I think @pietcux was asking about the HD660S since everything in your post was only about HD650, 6XX, and 600 but this is the HD660S thread, possibly posted in wrong thread???

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #3,663 of 9,628
I think @pietcux was asking about the HD660S since everything in your post was only about HD650, 6XX, and 600 but this is the HD660S thread, possibly posted in wrong thread???

Yes, I realise that now after a fresh start in the morning and reading your reply - sorry about that. Being late in the evening for me (edging towards 1 am after a long day) I instead took what he wrote as a jab against my reasoning. I guess I need to check what thread I’m posting better next time :)

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #3,664 of 9,628
Yes, I realise that now after a fresh start in the morning and reading your reply - sorry about that. Being late in the evening for me (edging towards 1 am after a long day) I instead took what he wrote as a jab against my reasoning. I guess I need to check what thread I’m posting better next time :)
No problem, I've posted in the wrong thread before, usually a form of drunk posting :beerchug:

Aug 24, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #3,665 of 9,628
I have also done my own comparison of the HD600 and HD6XX earlier as I too own them both. What I found is that they do sound very much alike in sound quality and signature/tuning. The HD6XX has maybe a bit more bass and the HD600 a tad more treble. But the most important difference is in presentation. The HD600 puts me right on stage, together up close with the singer and musicians, letting me hear everything up close, while the HD6XX puts me a few rows back from that stage. But even so, or maybe because of it, the soundscape feels like it has more room and space with the HD6XX. When it comes to detail, I still hear everything with the HD6XX, nothing is missing, if anything, it is actually is a bit more resolving and has a bit more separation between instruments.

tafens, you may have posted in the wrong thread, but I'm glad you did! This is a near perfect description of the differences between the HD600 and HD650/6XX in my opinion. I totally agree. I would be extremely interested in your opinion of the HD660S if you should have the opportunity to hear them. I personally don't yet have the HD660S, and one of the things that has put me off, apart from price and availability (or opportunity to try where I live), is that as a general rule those who prefer the HD660S to the HD650 also seem to think that the HD600 is more detailed and revealing than the HD650 and that the latter is 'veiled'. Like you, my long term perception of the HD600 vs HD650 is very different so I'd be fascinated to hear your opinion of the HD660S should you get one!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #3,666 of 9,628
After i read all the pages, yes took me several days to do it, i have some doublts about some things:

1- After some research, i will buy the HD 660 S...should my laptop with ess sabre capable to play without an amp or dac? The laptop is the MSI GT75 8RG, and have the Hi-res logo.

2- Its really true that after some time(a year?), the ear pads can change the sound of the headphones?

3-The versions of massdrop worth like the original version of sennheiser? Like HD 58x or HD 6xx vs HD 650 for example. Are better than the HD 660 s?

4-If sennheiser sell a version of Apogee on this version its because they believe on ess sabre solution right?

5- @Mike F , you already got a HD 660 S?

No! :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #3,667 of 9,628
tafens, you may have posted in the wrong thread, but I'm glad you did! This is a near perfect description of the differences between the HD600 and HD650/6XX in my opinion. I totally agree. I would be extremely interested in your opinion of the HD660S if you should have the opportunity to hear them. I personally don't yet have the HD660S, and one of the things that has put me off, apart from price and availability (or opportunity to try where I live), is that as a general rule those who prefer the HD660S to the HD650 also seem to think that the HD600 is more detailed and revealing than the HD650 and that the latter is 'veiled'. Like you, my long term perception of the HD600 vs HD650 is very different so I'd be fascinated to hear your opinion of the HD660S should you get one!

I do aim to get the HD660S some time, when the budget so permits. When I do I’ll be sure to post my impressions :)

Should you beat me to it I’d very interested in hearing your opinion of it as well!

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #3,668 of 9,628
Now that I have both HD 58X and HD 6XX, I'm at least certain about something: I will not buy HD 660 S. Considering that I do prefer HD 6XX in pretty much every way (HD 58X is a great headphone, HD 650 is just tune more to my liking and it's a better performing driver). Even if the HD 660 S would solve the grain in vocals and treble, the tuning is really close to HD 58X which I think is not a optimal as HD 6XX. People may call HD 6XX "veiled" but in my books that just means it doesn't cause listening fatigue. It has plenty of detail and sounds very natural where HD 58X for example with more prominent treble tends to just boost flaws more than it really should (and sound somewhat artificial in process). At least my ears don't feel like they're trying to find the detail.

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #3,669 of 9,628
HD660S won the EISA Awards 2018-2019

https://www.eisa.eu/awards/sennheiser-hd-660-s/

EISA-Award-Logo-Sennheiser-HD-660-S.png

Sennheiser_HD660s_web-1024x731.jpg

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #3,670 of 9,628
Now that I have both HD 58X and HD 6XX, I'm at least certain about something: I will not buy HD 660 S. Considering that I do prefer HD 6XX in pretty much every way (HD 58X is a great headphone, HD 650 is just tune more to my liking and it's a better performing driver). Even if the HD 660 S would solve the grain in vocals and treble, the tuning is really close to HD 58X which I think is not a optimal as HD 6XX. People may call HD 6XX "veiled" but in my books that just means it doesn't cause listening fatigue. It has plenty of detail and sounds very natural where HD 58X for example with more prominent treble tends to just boost flaws more than it really should (and sound somewhat artificial in process). At least my ears don't feel like they're trying to find the detail.
regarding the 58X i agree with you it is shouty headphone and never reach the quality level of the 660/6XX

can you share any track you like it very much on the 6XX more than the 58X , i would like to do some comparison (660 vs 6XX)
for me the 6XX and the 660 are on the same level but with different tune ,, some music i like it on the 660 and others on the 6XX ,
so i invested on a good cable for the 6XX and am planing to do the KISS Mod on them
hopefully to get a better openness like the 660 which sound more neutral and less congested.

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #3,671 of 9,628
regarding the 58X i agree with you it is shouty headphone and never reach the quality level of the 660/6XX

can you share any track you like it very much on the 6XX more than the 58X , i would like to do some comparison (660 vs 6XX)
for me the 6XX and the 660 are on the same level but with different tune ,, some music i like it on the 660 and others on the 6XX ,
so i invested on a good cable for the 6XX and am planing to do the KISS Mod on them
hopefully to get a better openness like the 660 which sound more neutral and less congested.

I also find the HD 660 S and HD 650 about the same level in terms of the whole package, after having both for a while and getting past the initial loving stage of the HD 650, I honestly do find the driver on the HD 660 S is in fact a little better, especially after tinkering with EQ and reversible mods, the tuning of the HD 650 does sound more spacious to my ears, the HD 660 S has always been a little congested sounding stock form but I realized that's it's tuning and how it plays with imaging/staging to my ears, the HD 600 is also congested to my ears. To me the HD 650 is more spacious sounding but it also sounds less solid and a tad hollow compared to the HD 660 S which has a more sure-footed and less grainy texture to the sound, more akin to the sure-footedness I'm used to from Beyers but notably more present in the midrange than most Beyers.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #3,673 of 9,628
can you share any track you like it very much on the 6XX more than the 58X
You know... There are things that HD 58X does better than HD 650/6XX. The bass is impressive and the speed helps.

So for example, HD 58X's speed helps here a lot and it has nice clarity. HD 6XX can't quite keep up. However, the vocals get kinda lost in the process. I'd like the to be more forward. Forward vocals make HD 6XX better also when listening dialogue heavy stuff (TV series, movies...).

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #3,674 of 9,628
You know... There are things that HD 58X does better than HD 650/6XX. The bass is impressive and the speed helps.

So for example, HD 58X's speed helps here a lot and it has nice clarity. HD 6XX can't quite keep up. However, the vocals get kinda lost in the process. I'd like the to be more forward. Forward vocals make HD 6XX better also when listening dialogue heavy stuff (TV series, movies...).

i think the HD 58Xhave better upper bass/lower mids ,, the 6XX has better sub bass although i never checked the FR charts
regarding the track ,, interesting ,, very interesting,, usually i don't listen to such fast music ,
but i liked the 6XX (w/ToneKraft cable) better then 660 with this track , it was much comfortable and clearer ,
its strange how we hear things differently . Thanks for the share ..

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #3,675 of 9,628

I think you posted in the wrong thread since this in the HD660S thread, not HD650/6XX thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back