Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #3,646 of 9,628
2- Its really true that after some time(a year?), the ear pads can change the sound of the headphones?

3-The versions of massdrop worth like the original version of sennheiser? Like HD 58x or HD 6xx vs HD 650 for example. Are better than the HD 660 s?
2 - As the pads wear and gets more compressed the sound will change over time. Of course it happens very slowly so it wouldn’t be noticeable from day to day, but with enough wear it will be noticeable and even obvious when compared to new pads.

3 - The Massdrop HD58X and HD6XX are great bargains IMHO, the HD6XX is essentially the same as HD650 (it even says “Model: HD 650” in small print on the bottom en of the box). They are different from HD660S in sound though, but as I understand it the HD58X is more similar. Which one is best comes down to personal preference though (I’m a fan of the HD6XX/650 myself, but haven’t yet heard the HD660S).

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #3,647 of 9,628
3 - The Massdrop HD58X and HD6XX are great bargains IMHO, the HD6XX is essentially the same as HD650 (it even says “Model: HD 650” in small print on the bottom en of the box). They are different from HD660S in sound though, but as I understand it the HD58X is more similar. Which one is best comes down to personal preference though (I’m a fan of the HD6XX/650 myself, but haven’t yet heard the HD660S).

I asked because they are so cheap so i doublt they have the same quality of hd 660s even the massdrop tells that have new drivers.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #3,648 of 9,628
I asked because they are so cheap so i doublt they have the same quality of hd 660s even the massdrop tells that have new drivers.

Yes, as I understand it, the HD58X is similar to the HD660S, but the HD660S is the better one.

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3,649 of 9,628
In terms of painting, I think the hd 650 and the hd 600 have an additional paint ... is there the possibility that over time the paint is getting lost? I do not know if it will be the case on HD 58x and HD 6xx ...

The HD 660 s looks like it will not suffer from this kind of wear since it does not have any additional paint.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,650 of 9,628
In terms of painting, I think the hd 650 and the hd 600 have an additional paint ... is there the possibility that over time the paint is getting lost? I do not know if it will be the case on HD 58x and HD 6xx ...

The HD 660 s looks like it will not suffer from this kind of wear since it does not have any additional paint.
It's not paint. In HD 58X Jubilee's case it's either matte plastic or glossy plastic that's not painted.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,654 of 9,628
Let me just state, I am still very satisfied with my HD660S. Listening from my Sony WM1A via 4.4 mm balanced cable to Marcus Miller''s M2 Album is a blast. The bass guitar is perfectly rendered.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #3,656 of 9,628
Hi guys, I attended a local audio show recently and got to try out the 660S along with quick comparisons to its Brothers the 650 and 600. The 660S ended up being one of my show favourites!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kua...av-show-kliav-2018-impressions-thread.886935/

KLIAV-HD660S.jpg

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #3,658 of 9,628
The Massdrop HD58X and HD6XX are great bargains IMHO, the HD6XX is essentially the same as HD650 (it even says “Model: HD 650” in small print on the bottom en of the box).

I would say that the 6XX is closer to the 600 than the 650. It's brighter than the 650, not as "veiled". And it has also a tad more bass response than the 600 but they sound very similar to my ears. I own both the 600 and the 6XX.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #3,659 of 9,628
I would say that the 6XX is closer to the 600 than the 650. It's brighter than the 650, not as "veiled". And it has also a tad more bass response than the 600 but they sound very similar to my ears. I own both the 600 and the 6XX.

I must confess, I’m assuming the HD6XX is the same (sonically) as the HD650 based on what I’ve read here and other places and what is said in YouTube reviews of the HD6XX, as well as that text on the box.

As you, I don’t hear any “veil” on the HD6XX. I doubt there has ever been one (with either HD6XX nor HD650). Not with fresh/good pads anyway. With worn pads however, it loses a lot of its sparkle and “toe-tapping” properties. Then I can see it being called “veiled”, “slow” and whatnot. One of my HD6XX actually had bad pads when delivered (strangely enough) and it sounded just like that; lacking sparkle, generally just sounding “wrong”, and also “veiled” compared to the HD600 (and my pair of HD6XX with good pads). When I changed the bad pads with new ones ordered directly from Sennheiser, all that was gone and they sounded great again.
“Un-veiled” if you will :)

I have also done my own comparison of the HD600 and HD6XX earlier as I too own them both. What I found is that they do sound very much alike in sound quality and signature/tuning. The HD6XX has maybe a bit more bass and the HD600 a tad more treble. But the most important difference is in presentation. The HD600 puts me right on stage, together up close with the singer and musicians, letting me hear everything up close, while the HD6XX puts me a few rows back from that stage. But even so, or maybe because of it, the soundscape feels like it has more room and space with the HD6XX. When it comes to detail, I still hear everything with the HD6XX, nothing is missing, if anything, it is actually is a bit more resolving and has a bit more separation between instruments. Of course, this is my experience with my equipment and my ears, but
It is just about on par with what I’ve read in comparisons/reviews of the HD600 vs. HD650, also moving me towards the conclusion that the HD6XX is (sonically) equivalent to the HD650.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #3,660 of 9,628
I must confess, I’m assuming the HD6XX is the same (sonically) as the HD650 based on what I’ve read here and other places and what is said in YouTube reviews of the HD6XX, as well as that text on the box.

As you, I don’t hear any “veil” on the HD6XX. I doubt there has ever been one (with either HD6XX nor HD650). Not with fresh/good pads anyway. With worn pads however, it loses a lot of its sparkle and “toe-tapping” properties. Then I can see it being called “veiled”, “slow” and whatnot. One of my HD6XX actually had bad pads when delivered (strangely enough) and it sounded just like that; lacking sparkle, generally just sounding “wrong”, and also “veiled” compared to the HD600 (and my pair of HD6XX with good pads). When I changed the bad pads with new ones ordered directly from Sennheiser, all that was gone and they sounded great again.
“Un-veiled” if you will :)

I have also done my own comparison of the HD600 and HD6XX earlier as I too own them both. What I found is that they do sound very much alike in sound quality and signature/tuning. The HD6XX has maybe a bit more bass and the HD600 a tad more treble. But the most important difference is in presentation. The HD600 puts me right on stage, together up close with the singer and musicians, letting me hear everything up close, while the HD6XX puts me a few rows back from that stage. But even so, or maybe because of it, the soundscape feels like it has more room and space with the HD6XX. When it comes to detail, I still hear everything with the HD6XX, nothing is missing, if anything, it is actually is a bit more resolving and has a bit more separation between instruments. Of course, this is my experience with my equipment and my ears, but
It is just about on par with what I’ve read in comparisons/reviews of the HD600 vs. HD650, also moving me towards the conclusion that the HD6XX is (sonically) equivalent to the HD650.
And what can you tell us about the HD660S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back