Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 14, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #9,361 of 9,628
I hear no such "fatigue" whatsoever. And I'm very treble sensitive and enjoying the little extra the s2 has. Bass fatigue?? There is no such thing. :)
Just realized I had a major brain cramp and my comment was regarding the 560s, NOT the 660S2. Sorry, I haven’t a clue what happened there 😆 😜 🤷‍♀️
Must get eyes checked I guess.

For the record, I find the 660S2 a refined version of the 660S. The wonderful midrange is still there but with a more apparent, confident and transparent bottom that is in proper proportion with the rest of the FR spectrum. The top is a bit of icing sugar sprinkled on the midrange for a very slight sweetening effect. Dynamics are also fine.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #9,362 of 9,628
Yeah I did notice that, also noticed the bass seemed to fatigue me as well. The treble never got less annoying with use like it does on Tesla Beyers (becomes a non issue with use and once you adjust at least on some of them). Honestly to my ears the HD 660S2 sounds like the HD 650 mixed with the T1.3. In fact it was the T1.3 that ruined the S2 and made it kinda pointless in my headphones stable. I ended up replacing the S2 with an HD 650 as that fit in better with my other headphones. I already had the S when I got the S2. Fatigue, the sense it's lacking something, and it not fitting in my headphone stable caused me to let the S2 go.
I have the Amiron Home and really like it, very sweet and mellow, complete opposite of harsh and metallic. You do lose a bit of upper mid/lower treble but you don’t get the treble spikes on some lower Beyers. Upper treble boost adds more air than brightness. I’d be interested in how the T1.3 compares to the Home.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #9,363 of 9,628
Just realized I had a major brain cramp and my comment was regarding the 560s, NOT the 660S2. Sorry, I haven’t a clue what happened there 😆 😜 🤷‍♀️

For the record, I find the 660S2 a refined version of the 660S. The wonderful midrange is still there but with a more apparent, confident and transparent bottom that is in proper proportion with the rest of the FR spectrum. The top is a bit of icing sugar sprinkled on the midrange for a very slight sweetening effect. Dynamics are also fine.

Sorry for the confusion.
560S!? You are surely trolling us. You don't get any fatigue from the upper mids on the 660S2?

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #9,364 of 9,628

Sorry for the confusion.
I had the 560s for a little while and some songs I loved with them and others were just way too harsh. They were ultimately too trebly for me. Good bass extension, but overall lean sounding and too much treble.

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #9,365 of 9,628
Jul 14, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #9,366 of 9,628
I have the Amiron Home and really like it, very sweet and mellow, complete opposite of harsh and metallic. You do lose a bit of upper mid/lower treble but you don’t get the treble spikes on some lower Beyers. Upper treble boost adds more air than brightness. I’d be interested in how the T1.3 compares to the Home.
There is definitely some similarities between the Amiron Home and T1.3, you can hear the family resemblance. It is possible you may like the Amiron Home's tuning more as some feel the T1.3 takes the warmth and relaxed upper mids too far. I really need to hear an Amiron Home again, I never had the chance to directly compare one to the T1.3.

560S!? You are surely trolling us. You don't get any fatigue from the upper mids on the 660S2?
I found the HD 660S2 had a slight void in the upper mids, but don't think that fatigued me. While it's treble was more present and seemed a tad out of place to me and caused me to focus on it, it wasn't harsh. Half my problem with the S2 is I possibly got a less than ideal pair and it seemed to have a slight channel imbalance as well and some of the fatigue I got could be from that as well as my system. It's why I want to try another pair to confirm as it's not the first time I've gotten a somewhat off HD 6xx series headphone.

The HD 560S, I hated personally, way too lean and too treble focused. But for whatever reason I liked the HD 400 Pro, which is supposed to be the same thing, only supposed difference it has better cables as the HD 560 S cable was super janky microphonic junk whereas they are non-microphonic and much less janky on the HD 400 Pro.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #9,367 of 9,628
There is definitely some similarities between the Amiron Home and T1.3, you can hear the family resemblance. It is possible you may like the Amiron Home's tuning more as some feel the T1.3 takes the warmth and relaxed upper mids too far. I really need to hear an Amiron Home again, I never had the chance to directly compare one to the T1.3.

I found the HD 660S2 had a slight void in the upper mids, but don't think that fatigued me. While it's treble was more present and seemed a tad out of place to me and caused me to focus on it, it wasn't harsh. Half my problem with the S2 is I possibly got a less than ideal pair and it seemed to have a slight channel imbalance as well and some of the fatigue I got could be from that as well as my system. It's why I want to try another pair to confirm as it's not the first time I've gotten a somewhat off HD 6xx series headphone.

The HD 560S, I hated personally, way too lean and too treble focused. But for whatever reason I liked the HD 400 Pro, which is supposed to be the same thing, only supposed difference it has better cables as the HD 560 S cable was super janky microphonic junk whereas they are non-microphonic and much less janky on the HD 400 Pro.
I did give my new 660S2 a bit of a shakedown with frequency sweeps for an hour before using, not that I feel it makes any significant difference, but I liken it to a pitcher warming up in the bullpen. Just do this once when new. Not this 150 hour nonsense.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #9,368 of 9,628
In a lot of ways I did like the S2 more than the S, I found it sweeter, more liquid, and technically better. But I do think the S does have the edge on the mids, the original S is probably my favorite HD 6xx headphone in terms of mids. I do know what you're talking about with something missing as I did notice it to a degree myself, I thought it was the upper mids, but other headphones I own with just as if not more relaxed upper mids proved it's not that to me. I do want to try them again in the future on very different gear, etc.

I've found the mids less bothersome with the older style pads (hd600) new pair with like 50-100 hours break in time. I shouldn't say bothersome, I mean just mellow and enjoyable for a relaxed long session while browsing.

I don't EQ them anymore like I did with the OG pads.

I'm not thinking about details or anything.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #9,369 of 9,628
I've found the mids less bothersome with the older style pads (hd600) new pair with like 50-100 hours break in time. I shouldn't say bothersome, I mean just mellow and enjoyable for a relaxed long session while browsing.

I don't EQ them anymore like I did with the OG pads.

I'm not thinking about details or anything.
The new pads (I believe they changed suppliers) fixed the HD 660S for me. The HD 6xx pads got changed a few years ago and it fixed both the HD 660S and HD 650 for me. Haven’t spent quite enough time with the HD 600 with the newer pads yet to say if I like them more or less. They’re both far less abrasive in the upper mids than they used to be and I don’t get the fatigue I used to get.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #9,370 of 9,628
I find the HD-660S to be among the least fatiguing headphones that I own overall. Though I am not especially sensitive to treble as a source of fatigue (big fan of Beyers!), nonetheless there's an effortlessness to the overall frequency presentation of the HD-660S that I really appreciate when I get them out. I do use a bit of EQ with them as I have mentioned previously, raising very low frequencies a bit and tweaking the treble slightly, but I leave the mids alone - out of the box the HD-660S were already nailing what I like there with most material!

I reckon I must have the newer pads, as I only got these toward the later part of last year, so no basis for comparison with how they "used to" sound if that's a significant factor. Adore these cans though.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #9,374 of 9,628
I personally found them more different from each other than the HD 600 vs HD 650.
+1 They're different enough that I could imagine keeping both of them. Bass is really nice on the S2. Mids are really nice on the S.

OK, that makes the difference rather substantial. Thanks for explaining guys!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back