Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 5, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #9,331 of 9,628
That's where I land on it with the 650 vs the 660S. They both are really good, different particular strengths but if we weren't absolutely spoiled for choice in this market and there were only a few headphones to pick from, I think a lot of people could make these work for them :) Sure is nice to have plentiful options to pick something more to your exact tuning preference and/or that fits particular material really well, though!
I agree, but how many of the other options have the mids of the 650 and 660S? And by most accounts it's the mids where the S2 falls slightly behind these two, even if it might be a bit 'better' elsewhere. It seems to me that these days the raison d'être of the 650/660S is the mids, and nothing much comes even close at the price.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #9,332 of 9,628
I agree, but how many of the other options have the mids of the 650 and 660S? And by most accounts it's the mids where the S2 falls slightly behind these two, even if it might be a bit 'better' elsewhere. It seems to me that these days the raison d'être of the 650/660S is the mids, and nothing much comes even close at the price.
I personally did find the mids on the HD 660S better than the HD 660S2. I felt the S2 pushed the upper mids a bit too back for an HD 6xx series headphone. While this works with say Beyers due to their more dynamic nature, it didn't for the S2 for my ears, I was constantly craving more upper mids and I'm thinking that may of been what fatigued my ears and caused my ears to strain to listen to it's upper mids oddly enough. I ended up feeling it's upper mids was lacking even coming from the T1.3 which is well know for it's subdued upper mids, but somehow it just works for me on the T1.3 whereas I think it killed the S2 for me. Which is sad because I liked everything else about the S2's sound and it was one of the more musical headphones I've heard recently.

After recently spending time with the HD 660S, HD 660S2, HD 650, and the HD 600. I'm beginning to favor the HD 660S overall of the HD 6xx line. The HD 660S2 and HD 650 initially drew attention away, now I'm back to favoring the HD 660S. But honestly I think I like the HD 650 the second most of the bunch as it has different strengths.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #9,333 of 9,628
I personally did find the mids on the HD 660S better than the HD 660S2. I felt the S2 pushed the upper mids a bit too back for an HD 6xx series headphone. While this works with say Beyers due to their more dynamic nature, it didn't for the S2 for my ears, I was constantly craving more upper mids and I'm thinking that may of been what fatigued my ears and caused my ears to strain to listen to it's upper mids oddly enough. I ended up feeling it's upper mids was lacking even coming from the T1.3 which is well know for it's subdued upper mids, but somehow it just works for me on the T1.3 whereas I think it killed the S2 for me. Which is sad because I liked everything else about the S2's sound and it was one of the more musical headphones I've heard recently.

After recently spending time with the HD 660S, HD 660S2, HD 650, and the HD 600. I'm beginning to favor the HD 660S overall of the HD 6xx line. The HD 660S2 and HD 650 initially drew attention away, now I'm back to favoring the HD 660S. But honestly I think I like the HD 650 the second most of the bunch as it has different strengths.
Very interesting! I haven't been keeping up with the S2 thread lately so I'd missed that, but good to know you opinion.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #9,334 of 9,628
Very interesting! I haven't been keeping up with the S2 thread lately so I'd missed that, but good to know you opinion.
I didn’t actually mention it in the S2 thread. Mentioned it first here. Spent time with the HD 650 again. Having a better experience with it this time, it’s the first time listening to a new mold one with the new pads. The slight sonic changes on the new pads helped them for me; they changed them few years ago, the new ones are a bit deeper which explains why I find them more comfortable now than I ever recall them being and they have a clear plastic mounting lip vs the matte black of the old pads. The new pads seem to work better for my ears on both the HD 650 and HD 660S. The HD 600 I don’t care as much for as I used to though.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #9,335 of 9,628
I didn’t actually mention it in the S2 thread. Mentioned it first here. Spent time with the HD 650 again. Having a better experience with it this time, it’s the first time listening to a new mold one with the new pads. The slight sonic changes on the new pads; they changed them few years ago, the new ones are a bit deeper which explains why I find them more comfortable now and have a clear plastic mounting lip vs the matte black of the old pads. The new pads seem to work better for my ears on both the HD 650 and HD 660S.
I think all of the range have the 'new' pads which first appeared on the 660S. I'm sure they have a positive effect on the 650. I've said it before, but I predict that the 660S will start to be more appreciated when it's gone and the honeymoon period for the S2 is over. I still think it's the best overall of the 600/650/660S but for me the 650 is a very close second. I think there's something about the 650 (well, the mids actually) that will never be beaten by anything...... Meanwhile, I'm still loving the NDH 30!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #9,336 of 9,628
I think all of the range have the 'new' pads which first appeared on the 660S. I'm sure they have a positive effect on the 650. I've said it before, but I predict that the 660S will start to be more appreciated when it's gone and the honeymoon period for the S2 is over. I still think it's the best overall of the 600/650/660S but for me the 650 is a very close second. I think there's something about he 650 that will never be beaten by anything...... Meanwhile, I'm still loving the NDH 30!
I’ve heard the original HD 660S with the old pads and old mold directly compared to a current HD 660S. The old pair was very fatiguing to my ears. Whereas the new one has basically no fatigue. Early HD 660S’s still had the old pads, I know because I owned one.

Also some reason I found the upper mids on the older HD 650 very unpleasant to my ears (I’ve heard a lot of different pairs in the past and owned them a few times) now it’s not even remotely a problem.

Honestly I’ll end up getting the NDH-30 in the future.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #9,337 of 9,628
I’ve heard the original HD 660S with the old pads and old mold directly compared to a current HD 660S. The old pair was very fatiguing to my ears. Whereas the new one has basically no fatigue. Early HD 660S’s still had the old pads, I know because I owned one.

Also some reason I found the upper mids on the older HD 650 very unpleasant to my ears (I’ve heard a lot of different pairs in the past and owned them a few times) now it’s not even remotely a problem.

Honestly I’ll end up getting the NDH-30 in the future.
My 660S is one of the very last with the old mold, but it has the new pads. Good that you like the 650 and 660S with the new pads. I'm pretty sure you'll love the NDH 30! It's like a great combination of the 650 and 800. Not a perfect description, but it's gives a good idea of what it's like. And I find the NDH more comfortable than either.

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #9,340 of 9,628
Speaking on EQ, this is what I'm using (and loving) on the HD660S:

1685984977466.png

Jun 5, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #9,341 of 9,628
My 660S is one of the very last with the old mold, but it has the new pads. Good that you like the 650 and 660S with the new pads. I'm pretty sure you'll love the NDH 30! It's like a great combination of the 650 and 800. Not a perfect description, but it's gives a good idea of what it's like. And I find the NDH more comfortable than either.
Yes, the NDH-30 makes more sense than a straight upgrade from the 660S to the 660S`2...

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #9,342 of 9,628
Those minute differences can be enough to make me like a hedphone or not to like it.

With my HD660S and HD800S I feel like some EQ is needed to make them perfect for my taste. I would rather not use EQ.

With my HD660 S2 and Utopia 2022 I don't feel like any EQ is needed. They sound just right for my taste.
The difference between the 6xx and the 660s are far from minute differences to my ears.
Soundstage , imaging ,detail speed, crispness and bite all superior on 660s. Yes bass is not as prominent but it is of higher quality.

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #9,343 of 9,628
The difference between the 6xx and the 660s are far from minute differences to my ears.
Soundstage , imaging ,detail speed, crispness and bite all superior on 660s. Yes bass is not as prominent but it is of higher quality.
Agree , and i think on that point anyone will agree that 660s have better soundstage , imaging , speed , compared to 650,600, but other than that 600 to me are better on vocals maybe because the stage is smaller and vocals are all in my head, also HD650 are smoother warmer so they are great for bad recordings .
I so love 600,650,660s all of them have the sound signature that i love but with some differences that are welcome depending what i want to hear or my mood .
The problem is that this year i sold all of them and re buy the new line with clear pads, and 660S2 came out :) and i have to wait 1 more year for price to drop.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #9,344 of 9,628
I know that solderdude did not find a difference between the old and the new pads with his graphs but I believe there is one.

My 58X sound better with the new pads and I also suspect that my new version HD600 which shipped with the new pads sound so great also because of these new version pads.

This is also the reason that I cannot understand why I like my new version HD600 more than my HD6XX. Is it because of the pads or because the difference between these two models ....or because as some say HD650 is so much better than HD6XX....

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #9,345 of 9,628
I know that solderdude did not find a difference between the old and the new pads with his graphs but I believe there is one.

My 58X sound better with the new pads and I also suspect that my new version HD600 which shipped with the new pads sound so great also because of these new version pads.

This is also the reason that I cannot understand why I like my new version HD600 more than my HD6XX. Is it because of the pads or because the difference between these two models ....or because as some say HD650 is so much better than HD6XX....
I've never believed that the 6xx is actually the same as the 650. Have you tried swapping the new pads from your 600 to your 6xx?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back