Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 13, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #9,301 of 9,628
I so love HD6 line and i have said that every headphone in this series is exceptional depending the taste, I also had Sundara for many years these was great also headphones in some ways and not so good on some others.... So i sold my Sundara IMG_20221124_010206.jpg

For ...... Yeahp another HD6 line headphone my old HD600 have a replacement.... DSC_0064.JPG
A new HD600 Ireland headphone... I see that they change the old york foam and also use the new Pads with Clear rings (omg i love those new pads) ... But What why they use the old cable that HD600 marble also had ? Strange...
So now all my 6 line was updated it with new ones... I hope they dont change them again for at least 10 years... If anyone cares The new sound exactly the shame like the old ones .
So next up 660s2 when they get reasonable price ....

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #9,302 of 9,628
I'm sad Sennheiser is replacing these with the S2! I wish they'd make them both part of their product offerings instead if possible. At the $300 price point this is still such a good sounding headphone. Quick drivers, detailed but still engaging tuning, good w/ a lot of genres of music, and flexible to EQ if you'd like to reshape its frequency focus for some material. Sennheiser's sound hasn't ever been everybody's cup of tea (hey, variety is the spice of life, right?), but this was a great iteration of their house sound in my opinion. It's a worthy pal to the venerable HD-650 whether one thinks of it as a true successor or not.
If they replace 660s it would be stupid in my opinion. Because 660s was in the middle of what 600-650 are with better imaging and separation.
600 for neutrality vocals 650 for smooth warm sound and 660s have something of both of them but faster tight bass and imaging. So for Sennheiser replacing 660s and have a 660s2 that is a 560s + 660s baby in my opinion is very wrong .
I dont have 660s2 but from what i have seen read and talk to s2 lose something of the main character that 6 line has and get a new 560s alike signature with smoothed highs , to be fair that what most people asked.
Anyways i cant wait to try them also.

Apr 13, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #9,303 of 9,628
I don't know what's going on here.

I just plugged my 660s into my Mac and my 6XX into my iPhone and matched the volume as closely as I could hear.

Switching back and forth between the 2 headphones as quickly as I can and I can't detect any differences in clarity, or bass, or instrument separation, imaging or anything. What the heck is going on? I tried as hard as I could to detect a difference and it seemed like I was just putting the same headphone on over and over again.

I'm so confused.
Something is really wrong , because HD6XX vs HD660s is really easy to understand the difference , 6XX are way warmer and separation imaging ? On 660s is not even close to 600 or 650 , 660s imaging is close to Sundara for example , so for that only it would be really easy to hear the difference . But again maybe u dont pay attention but honestly even on a Youtube sond and not capable source there is a difference ... Not better or worst but there is difference for sure ... unless if u expected a night and day Beyerdynamic difference or B&W signature. Trust me when u really listen u gone hear it ...

Apr 13, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #9,305 of 9,628
If they replace 660s it would be stupid in my opinion. Because 660s was in the middle of what 600-650 are with better imaging and separation.
600 for neutrality vocals 650 for smooth warm sound and 660s have something of both of them but faster tight bass and imaging. So for Sennheiser replacing 660s and have a 660s2 that is a 560s + 660s baby in my opinion is very wrong .
I dont have 660s2 but from what i have seen read and talk to s2 lose something of the main character that 6 line has and get a new 560s alike signature with smoothed highs , to be fair that what most people asked.
Anyways i cant wait to try them also.
I read the HD 660 S2 is more akin to the HD 58X in terms of tuning not the HD 560 S. I haven’t read them to be considered similar to the HD 560 S at all. Im expecting it to be more resolving than the HD 660 S though may lose a bit of the mid focus the HD 660 S and Im not sure if I’ll like that or not. I haven’t heard them yet either.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #9,306 of 9,628
I read the HD 660 S2 is more akin to the HD 58X in terms of tuning not the HD 560 S. I haven’t heard them to be considered similar to the HD 560 S at all. Im expecting it to be more resolving than the HD 660 S though may lose a bit of the mid focus the HD 660 S and Im not sure if I’ll like that or not. I haven’t heard them yet either.
From the graphs and only ( i have not 660s2 ) i think the low mid high bass is like 560s because i dont see the warm high bass and also it has more db on low end like 560s has, I had 58X and i didnt like them at all strange i know but they sound grainy to me and not close to HD6 line on timbre and smoothness.
I am really open to have and listen 660s2 the worst thing to happen is to be something really different than HD6 line , other than that most people that already try them agree that are technically really good.

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #9,308 of 9,628
From the graphs and only ( i have not 660s2 ) i think the low mid high bass is like 560s because i dont see the warm high bass and also it has more db on low end like 560s has, I had 58X and i didnt like them at all strange i know but they sound grainy to me and not close to HD6 line on timbre and smoothness.
I am really open to have and listen 660s2 the worst thing to happen is to be something really different than HD6 line , other than that most people that already try them agree that are technically really good.
The HD 560 S lacks too much dynamic body and excursion imho, it makes it sound leaner than it should be as the dynamics lack body. Not too fond of the HD 560 S due to that despite it having some strengths to it. The HD 660 S2 probably doesn’t have that grain of the HD 58X, just heard it had a similar sound balance. I expect the S2’s quality to be good. Comments about graininess on the HD 58X is why I never got a pair. Because if it’s anything like the graininess on the HD 55x/59x headphones, just no.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #9,309 of 9,628
The HD 560 S lacks too much dynamic body and excursion imho, it makes it sound leaner than it should be as the dynamics lack body. Not too fond of the HD 560 S due to that despite it having some strengths to it. The HD 660 S2 probably doesn’t have that grain of the HD 58X, just heard it had a similar sound balance. I expect the S2’s quality to be good. Comments about graininess on the HD 58X is why I never got a pair. Because if it’s anything like the graininess on the HD 55x/59x headphones, just no.
The HD660S is also said to be grainy by the haters camp. I never heard that.

Apr 13, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #9,311 of 9,628
The HD660S is also said to be grainy by the haters camp. I never heard that.
I never heard it either. I think the HD 600/650 are a bit over-glorified and exaggerated on how good they actually are. They’re solid headphones but never found them to be giant killers like they’re often portrayed to be. Sadly I think the HD 660S was unfairly maligned.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #9,312 of 9,628
I never heard it either. I think the HD 600/650 are a bit over-glorified and exaggerated on how good they actually are. They’re solid headphones but never found them to be giant killers like they’re often portrayed to be. Sadly I think the HD 660S was unfairly maligned.
This always happens for people having the previus Versions... 580 owners was unfair for 600 , 600 owners for 650 , 650 for 660s and guess what the shame will happen with S2 (even if i dont have them) i have seen this happening again and again . Me personally i have stopped that debate about what is better than the other, ALL of them are Amazing headphones with some differences that some will like and other not so much. But what drives me crazy and i cant even reply is to people saying HD600 is trash and 660s amazing or 650 is trash and 600 amazing etch etch ... that doesnt even make sense people having all of them and use them for years they understand thats not the case.
To me yeah for my preference 660s are my favorite but for others maybe it will be something else.

By the way that HD 6XX price on drop makes a lot of people buying them , so most people will say hey look my HD6XX are the best even if they havent even use the others in the series ,they are confident because thats what most people have and some reviewers promote for the obvious reason...

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #9,313 of 9,628
I fully agree about 560s these are nice , but not even close to 6 series in my opinion they dont have that body that timbre organic sound .
The shame happen to me with 58X lol i still remember people saying that 58x are exactly the shame like 660s .. even the driver they said , omg not even close , 58x are great for the price but they dont have the speed ,imaging, vocals , organic sound of 660s .
I am really curious about S2 and when they get a logical price about 350 in my Country then i will have a more serious opinion.

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #9,314 of 9,628
This always happens for people having the previus Versions... 580 owners was unfair for 600 , 600 owners for 650 , 650 for 660s and guess what the shame will happen with S2 (even if i dont have them) i have seen this happening again and again . Me personally i have stopped that debate about what is better than the other, ALL of them are Amazing headphones with some differences that some will like and other not so much. But what drives me crazy and i cant even reply is to people saying HD600 is trash and 660s amazing or 650 is trash and 600 amazing etch etch ... that doesnt even make sense people having all of them and use them for years they understand thats not the case.
To me yeah for my preference 660s are my favorite but for others maybe it will be something else.

By the way that HD 6XX price on drop makes a lot of people buying them , so most people will say hey look my HD6XX are the best even if they havent even use the others in the series ,they are confident because thats what most people have and some reviewers promote for the obvious reason...
Yeah I’ve noticed people get too defensive about which they think is the best of the HD 6xx lineup. I guess many feel oddly beholden to one of them. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. There are things the HD 600/650 do better and things the HD 660S do better. I do think the HD 660S will be missed in the future as like the HD 580 it’s been discontinued. My favorite headphones are often disliked by others. I’m fond of Beyers and various other headphones that have mixed impressions so I got quite used to headphones I really like being hated on early on and learned a while ago to not worry or care about some of my favorite headphones being hated on.

I fully agree about 560s these are nice , but not even close to 6 series in my opinion they dont have that body that timbre organic sound .
The shame happen to me with 58X lol i still remember people saying that 58x are exactly the shame like 660s .. even the driver they said , omg not even close , 58x are great for the price but they dont have the speed ,imaging, vocals , organic sound of 660s .
I am really curious about S2 and when they get a logical price about 350 in my Country then i will have a more serious opinion.
For whatever reason I found the sister headphone the HD 400 Pro to be better than the HD 560 S in terms of body and timbre. Could be unit variance or maybe better driver tolerances. Not surprised, it’s obvious just by looking the HD 58X and HD 660S have distinctly different drivers. I’m waiting for the S2 to drop in price too. Headphones often have a tendency to drop quite dramatically in price with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back