Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 16, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #9,378 of 9,653
thank you very much

honestly i think im kinda done with the 6xx series... they are "perfect" for me but the pad wear is just a ridiculous situation

the sound quality goes downhill in just a couple of days of use and it gets worse and worse
I wear a pair of 6xx almost every day for four or more hours and while I experience pad wear, I don't experience a significant change in sound quality like this.

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #9,380 of 9,653
I wear a pair of 6xx almost every day for four or more hours and while I experience pad wear, I don't experience a significant change in sound quality like this.

Yea the config of materials is designed to hold the sound quality over a long period, barring the most extreme pad wear. Even then, the changes are so gradual, you barely even notice as the sound changes.

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #9,381 of 9,653
Yea the config of materials is designed to hold the sound quality over a long period, barring the most extreme pad wear. Even then, the changes are so gradual, you barely even notice as the sound changes.
Don't agree...My 6xx sounded like crap after 2 years
The pads were somewhat flat after moderate use. Put on new genuine sennheiser pads and the phone sounded like a modded pair. The change in fidelity was astounding. Metal 571 said that would happen. Btw you won't have that problem with 660s where the pads are much firmer and should last much longer.

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #9,382 of 9,653
The pads were somewhat flat after moderate use. Put on new genuine sennheiser pads and the phone sounded like a modded pair. The change in fidelity was astounding. Metal 571 said that would happen. Btw you won't have that problem with 660s where the pads are much firmer and should last much longer.

2 years sounds like a long period which I gave as an exception in my thoughts on this, and obv not everyone hears the same so there will be some people that are more sensitive to pad wear. I get that was your experience. It's cool 😎

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #9,384 of 9,653
Pads on the HD 650 and HD 660S are the same. I have both and both are new pairs. What’s going on is they changed the pads for all of the HD 6xx line and the new pads have a longer life and don’t flatten near as much or quickly. All HD 6xx headphones have the same pads, there is just a newer revision of the pads.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #9,385 of 9,653
Pads on the HD 650 and HD 660S are the same. I have both and both are new pairs. What’s going on is they changed the pads for all of the HD 6xx line and the new pads have a longer life and don’t flatten near as much or quickly. All HD 6xx headphones have the same pads, there is just a newer revision of the pads.
Yes im now aware that my original massdrop pads are different than my replacement and that was different than the 660s version which is now hopefully the standard. The 660s pads are also shaped differently and give more inside ear room than the other two. I believe its because of the slant of the inner wall of the pad.

Jul 29, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #9,386 of 9,653
Has anyone tried these 3d printed "open baffle" replacement grills on their 660s? There's a comment from someone on the store listing mentioning that it improved their 660s, but I'm curious for more details on how it specifically changed the frequency response. I wonder if I can get the beautiful mids of the 660s with a little more slam like the 660s2 but without needing software EQ.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #9,387 of 9,653
For best bass response you want the tightest most reflective material, so plush leather or polyurethane. Probably mesh is the least bassy, followed by cotton.

I've been trying the shure 1540 pads for a bit on the 660S, and it's quite an interesting sound when you EQ the lower bass (40-80) it holds much tighter than on the stock pads or leather pads will get too boomy and loose.

The alcantara pads with EQ makes it a bit more fun than reference, but I've been enjoying it with vocals/acoustic and jazz albums where thick/warm nature is a plus.

Stock pads is always the safe choice though. But for those who hate the 660S sound, the 1540 pads and a little bump with EQ might be low risk option (than chasing another 6 series)

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #9,388 of 9,653
Has anyone tried these 3d printed "open baffle" replacement grills on their 660s? There's a comment from someone on the store listing mentioning that it improved their 660s, but I'm curious for more details on how it specifically changed the frequency response. I wonder if I can get the beautiful mids of the 660s with a little more slam like the 660s2 but without needing software EQ.
Just got my malvix grills installed. I purchased these primarily for the aesthetics and because my stock 660s grills had the paint wearing off, so I went in expecting absolutely no difference. Doing some brief a/b testing from a similar passage, however, I can hear a difference. My 660s definitely have a bit more sub-bass rumble. To me, they now sound slightly more like my 660s2 but without sacrificing any of the 660s mids quality.

PXL_20230813_001645392.jpg

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #9,389 of 9,653
thank you very much

honestly i think im kinda done with the 6xx series... they are "perfect" for me but the pad wear is just a ridiculous situation

the sound quality goes downhill in just a couple of days of use and it gets worse and worse

600 actually sounds better to me with worn in pads. 650 gets too dark with worn in pads. So just a consideration when buying the 6X0 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back