Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 2, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #8,611 of 9,628
This is part of the reason why I try not to buy uber expensive gear anymore. I hate the feeling of spending 3K on a HP and realizing they sometimes sound awesome and sometimes sound lackluster depending on my mood and physical/mental state. I'm not Jeff Bezos, so not worth it for me. Unfortunately, i still periodically relent and buy expensive stuff on impulse.

Tis is head-fi life...

Anyways, 660s is an awesome HP in my book.
At its reasonable asking price, I have no problem being dissapointed every now and then 🤣. And the plus side is, I love it most of the time.
Definitely agree about buying expensive headphones and only being in the mood for it occasionally. It's a reason I'm scared to go above the $1000 mark.

Recently got my hands on the HD 660 S again and have been comparing it to my R70X. They're more similar sounding than I realized, definitely a lot of similarities but also a few differences especially in the bass response. Would I say one is more resolving than the other, a bit early to tell. The question is if it's worth keeping the HD 660 S alongside the R70X for me, only time will tell.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #8,612 of 9,628
Definitely agree about buying expensive headphones and only being in the mood for it occasionally. It's a reason I'm scared to go above the $1000 mark.
I feel the same, I was planning to buy the Arya Stealth, they sound great, but not four times better than the Sundara, so I'll keep my 660s and buy the Sundara as a compliment to them instead, it's about time I crawled out of this rabbit hole before it's too late.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #8,613 of 9,628
I'm not a fan of advice, but I will advise :)
Buy Neumann NDH 30, no matter the mood, they always sound great! This is exactly the feeling when you buy headphones for $600 and realize that you own headphones for $1500 or more. Very nice feeling :) About the 660s I can say that having bought them for 500 they give a sound somewhere around 700, depending on the mood it can be a little higher or lower :) In any case, I will leave the 660s for now in order to have options for listening to the mix before its release on different headphones. And I can say that 660s is just the kind of headphones where a quality cable can make their sound significantly better. And this difference is very well audible. The stock cable does not open them 100% It only gives about 70% opening. Maybe it's the mood:) I don't know why, but it's a proven fact:)

But it seems to me easier to buy NDH 30 in which the final best cable is already included!
BUT I repeat - I like a very open and correct sound, if in general. If someone likes a different sound, then there is no point in buying NDH 30 :)
Why have I already written about NDH 30 several times? Before, like all of us, I was constantly in search of new headphones, I could not be satisfied with either $500 or $2000.
But when NDH 30 appeared and I started to work with them and constantly listen, I noticed that I stopped looking and choosing.
It's so calming, satisfying and gives optimism:) Especially considering the price :)

Here is a correct professional customer review on thomann, which is close to my opinion:

First of all: in my experience, headphones are a very individual thing, since the sound does not depend on the room like with speakers, but on the anatomy. That's probably why there are so many conflicting reviews of many headphones. Subjectively, the NDH 30 seems made for me. I've tried quite a few headphones for mixing and listening to music. I liked using the AKG 812 as an audio magnifier, but the highs were always too sharp for me and the sound never really suited me, even with my reference songs. Beyerdynamic DT1770 fits well when the environment is loud or does not want to be disturbed - but the resolution and the rather HiFi-like sound tempt me to feature the mids too much. The Apple AirPods Max are amazingly linear, also have a good resolution and stereo stage, but are too heavy and uncomfortable for longer mix sessions for me personally. For me, the NDH 30 surpasses all the headphones mentioned in all respects. In addition, my reference songs finally sound “right” to me and listening and mixing is a lot of fun! Even if the listener does well on the outputs of sound cards or even mobile devices, the sun really rises when you use a good headphone amplifier. I use the SPL Marc One and compared to my MOTU 8Pre ES the transients are audibly more detailed and the depth gradation is even more impressive. In addition, the handset sits perfectly on my head and follows movements well (much better than the AKG 812) The bass is tight and defined, the highs are more reserved than with the AKG and Beyer dynamics - so the sound is perfectly balanced for me. Neumann isn't exaggerating when they compare the sound to their monitors. I use the KH80 with the 750 Sub for speaker mixing and the sound is actually very similar and makes mix decisions very easy with the NDH 30 too. So far I haven't had the feeling that I have to revise anything when listening to the speakers. Two things to keep in mind, firstly with these headphones it is very important to position them correctly on your ears. Due to the diagonally inserted speakers, the sound changes when you move them. Secondly, the cable is fabric-coated and when listening very quietly, the mechanical noise caused by the friction when the head is moved is annoying. Here Neumann could decouple even better. In the initial euphoria, however, that is my only point of criticism so far.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #8,614 of 9,628
All headphones just create an illusion - an illusion of real sound (unless you're into electronica, but that's a different story). Headphones have a harder time of doing that than loudspeakers, but there are great advantages to headphones. But still, it's a relatively poor illusion. The reason that the Sennheiser 6 series has been, and continues to be, so successful is that, once you adapt to it's sound signature (and that's relatively easy to do for most people) it's chosen set of compromises provide an illusion which overall is as good as it gets - at any price. Any number of headphones will beat them in this or that respect, but as a total package they are very hard to beat - especially the 650 IMO. You put them on, acclimatise for a minute or two and just enjoy the music. And it still has one of the very best FR graphs out there.
If you have the money for a 3-5k headphone with a suitable amp then you're better off getting some loudspeakers IMHO.

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #8,615 of 9,628
All headphones just create an illusion - an illusion of real sound (unless you're into electronica, but that's a different story). Headphones have a harder time of doing that than loudspeakers, but there are great advantages to headphones. But still, it's a relatively poor illusion. The reason that the Sennheiser 6 series has been, and continues to be, so successful is that, once you adapt to it's sound signature (and that's relatively easy to do for most people) it's chosen set of compromises provide an illusion which overall is as good as it gets - at any price. Any number of headphones will beat them in this or that respect, but as a total package they are very hard to beat - especially the 650 IMO. You put them on, acclimatise for a minute or two and just enjoy the music. And it still has one of the very best FR graphs out there.
If you have the money for a 3-5k headphone with a suitable amp then you're better off getting some loudspeakers IMHO.
We are talking about reference headphones, with the most correct source sound.
In 650's can't mix properly, they don't give a proper understanding of the original sound, unfortunately. Although most people think that they give :) And the mixes turn out to be of "corresponding quality"...
People can adapt even to standard iphone :)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #8,616 of 9,628
We are talking about reference headphones, with the most correct source sound.
In 650's can't mix properly, they don't give a proper understanding of the original sound, unfortunately. Although most people think that they give :) And the mixes turn out to be of "corresponding quality"...
People can adapt even to standard iphone :)
The 650 has been the benchmark mixing headphone for years. You surely know that.........

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #8,618 of 9,628
When it comes to mixing, then it is an entirely different ballgame. For mixing the most important part is to know, how your headphones translate the music. How will the mix sound on crappy speakers, in a car, on IEM’s, on headphones that are Harman curved and so on.

If you just go by ear, and think: “Hey! My mix sounds good om my HD650 or my Beye…, then it must be good…” then boy do I have a surprise for you.

Some time ago there was a Tik-tok about how to make your mixes louder, - where he proposed to cut everything under 30hz, because you can’t hear it anyway in most headphones… – This made me cringe.

And I’m like yeah, - maybe my speakers only go down to 50hz but my Sub?, and my hearing to goes to 30hz ( if I’m lucky ), but you can “feel” the sound… in your chest, the table vibrating and so on…

If you don’t know the fundamentals, your mixes are going to be bad, - no matter what. Some of the best music is mixed on the worst monitors every: Yamaha NS-10

So in short, can you mix a HD650. Yes, but you have to know how your music will translate. If you are going to mix on headphones only, then I would recommend getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 to compliment the HD650 / HD600…

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #8,619 of 9,628
Landzonetilladelse
When it comes to mixing, then it is an entirely different ballgame. For mixing the most important part is to know, how your headphones translate the music. How will the mix sound on crappy speakers, in a car, on IEM’s, on headphones that are Harman curved and so on.

If you just go by ear, and think: “Hey! My mix sounds good om my HD650 or my Beye…, then it must be good…” then boy do I have a surprise for you.

Some time ago there was a Tik-tok about how to make your mixes louder, - where he proposed to cut everything under 30hz, because you can’t hear it anyway in most headphones… – This made me cringe.

And I’m like yeah, - maybe my speakers only go down to 50hz but my Sub?, and my hearing to goes to 30hz ( if I’m lucky ), but you can “feel” the sound… in your chest, the table vibrating and so on…

If you don’t know the fundamentals, your mixes are going to be bad, - no matter what. Some of the best music is mixed on the worst monitors every: Yamaha NS-10 J

So in short, can you mix a HD650. Yes, but you have to know how your music will translate. If you are going to mix on headphones only, then I would recommend getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 to compliment the HD650 / HD600…
Yes, I totally agree with that - basic knowledge to anybody who does any mixing. I was just pointing out the fact that the 650 has been a benchmark for a very long time, and one of the reasons for that it’s it’s excellent frequency response and generally successful set of compromises. People generally in the past have gone for the 650 or the DT 880 as open back options. Not usually both though. As you said, you just have to get used to the sound of your own headphones and know how they will translate. Those two headphones just happen to make the job easier than many others, And the 650 also happens to be one of the best headphones on the market (still) to actually listen to music on...... 😉

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #8,620 of 9,628
This is part of the reason why I try not to buy uber expensive gear anymore. I hate the feeling of spending 3K on a HP and realizing they sometimes sound awesome and sometimes sound lackluster depending on my mood and physical/mental state. I'm not Jeff Bezos, so not worth it for me. Unfortunately, i still periodically relent and buy expensive stuff on impulse.

Tis is head-fi life...

Anyways, 660s is an awesome HP in my book.
At its reasonable asking price, I have no problem being dissapointed every now and then 🤣. And the plus side is, I love it most of the time.
I would definitely rather have 3 x 1k headphones that all offered a different flavour of sound rather than 1x 3k headphone if I had the choice. I love different presentations of sound in headphones.

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #8,621 of 9,628
I'm sure that the 660 is still a good headphone, but I'm also sure that this sound tuning and design in them is made artificially and does not correspond to reality.
It is clearly audible when listening
And just as frustrating is the compressed scene and not very good stereo separation.
In your opinion. One man's treasure is another man's "Meh". Speaking in absolute terms in this hoppy is not really accurate as NOBODY hears the way you hear, nobody has your sensibilities about what is good sound and what is bad sound. Appreciate your passion. This note is actually directed at Newbies in the hobby, and maybe a reminder to more experienced head-fier's.

Leo

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #8,622 of 9,628
My 2 cents.

I have been listening to this and the 6XX(650) and every time I think about selling the 660s I'm just blown away by the luscious mid-range, better resolution and depth in the soundstage. The treble may not extend as deep as the 6XX but there's something about how the midrange is presented on the 660s that makes this headphone just so good. It did take about 100 hours before it really opened up imo.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #8,623 of 9,628
My 2 cents.

I have been listening to this and the 6XX(650) and every time I think about selling the 660s I'm just blown away by the luscious mid-range, better resolution and depth in the soundstage. The treble may not extend as deep as the 6XX but there's something about how the midrange is presented on the 660s that makes this headphone just so good. It did take about 100 hours before it really opened up imo.
There is something interesting and attractive about HD660 s sound. But the NDH 30 is even more musical and open to me, even though it's made for the studio and work. HD660 s sound like chamber, intimate, as if they are hiding something :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back