Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 11, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #7,696 of 9,628
anyone know a headphone with a punchier sound than the great 660s? i totally love this sound
Try the HD58X. I compared the two, the 58X has all the strengths of the 660S but has better and punchier bass. The 660S may be slightly more resolving in the mids and treble, but it’s very close.

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #7,697 of 9,628
Try the HD58X. I compared the two, the 58X has all the strengths of the 660S but has better and punchier bass. The 660S may be slightly more resolving in the mids and treble, but it’s very close.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels that way about the 58X. Even though the other cans in the 600 family are technically more superior, I enjoy listening to the 58X more on most equipment except for otl tube amps. They are so much fun while still retaining good technical abilities.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #7,698 of 9,628
I got the 660S and Ifi zen dac (v1) and I´m very satisfied. Great sound even on low gain. These were very clampy out of the box but it loosened significantly after some time and now they are very comfortable.

What´s your opinion on the long term reliability of the 660S ? I really like how they sounds, but I have concerns about its build quality. It feels fragile in general, especially the joints and the headband adjustment system.

Maybe a dumb question but I just thought about it: Can I damage the headphones (drivers) when putting them out of the head when playing music and then put them on again when music still plays ?

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #7,699 of 9,628
What´s your opinion on the long term reliability of the 660S ? I really like how they sounds, but I have concerns about its build quality. It feels fragile in general, especially the joints and the headband adjustment
Sennheiser’s track record for their passive, open plastic fantastic headphones suggest that they’re likely to outlive your other headphones :D.
Other than the pads that is.

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #7,700 of 9,628
I got the 660S and Ifi zen dac (v1) and I´m very satisfied. Great sound even on low gain. These were very clampy out of the box but it loosened significantly after some time and now they are very comfortable.

What´s your opinion on the long term reliability of the 660S ? I really like how they sounds, but I have concerns about its build quality. It feels fragile in general, especially the joints and the headband adjustment system.

Maybe a dumb question but I just thought about it: Can I damage the headphones (drivers) when putting them out of the head when playing music and then put them on again when music still plays ?
They are sturdy. I have an HD 600 that are 10 years old and still going strong. Also, if putting headphones on and off while the music is playing somehow damaged the drivers, every DJ, recording studio, tv set, and movie set would be replacing headphones just about every day.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #7,701 of 9,628

They are not as fragile as you think ! They can last you a lifetime. Every plastic part is replaceable. With everyday use I'd say change the pads once a year and you are good

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #7,703 of 9,628
Been using these with my ZX300 primarily. They sound excellent from a smaller source, even my phone.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #7,704 of 9,628
Aug 4, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #7,705 of 9,628
Can anyone provide a comparison of the HD660s and HD800s? Outside of the radically different tuning and soundstage, are the HD800s really $1,000 better than the 660s?

I own and love the 660s, but I'm considering jumping in on the HD8xx as a possible "end game" purchase.

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #7,706 of 9,628
Well, those are the two cans I own...I can't give you audiophile terms but I did evaluate the HD820 against the HD800s for my 'big jump' and went w/ the 800s precisely for the wider/better soundstage. It's that attribute that I do point to over the 660s, along with a 'richer' sound to my ears.

I have kept my 660s to use (w/ my iFi hip Dac) in portable situations like sitting out back by my firepit, vacation travel, etc. But I always reach for my 800s when sitting and listening w/ my RME/V281.

Hope that helps?

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #7,707 of 9,628
Can anyone provide a comparison of the HD660s and HD800s? Outside of the radically different tuning and soundstage, are the HD800s really $1,000 better than the 660s?

I own and love the 660s, but I'm considering jumping in on the HD8xx as a possible "end game" purchase.
The HD800S are the most comfortable headphones I know, how much that is worth is for you to decide … :) … and they sound better than the HD660s

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #7,708 of 9,628
These have been getting way more play time since I upgraded the cable to a Forza Noir Hybrid HPC masterpiece. I think a bit of silver added to the mix is not a bad thing at all w the 660s. The treble is emphasized just a hair more, but not in sharp kind of way, just makes it a tad more natural sounding, whereas it was somewhat metallic sounding before the upgrade. Sounds super-boss w this cable and the SA-1 - just unbelievably good.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #7,709 of 9,628
These have been getting way more play time since I upgraded the cable to a Forza Noir Hybrid HPC masterpiece. I think a bit of silver added to the mix is not a bad thing at all w the 660s. The treble is emphasized just a hair more, but not in sharp kind of way, just makes it a tad more natural sounding, whereas it was somewhat metallic sounding before the upgrade. Sounds super-boss w this cable and the SA-1 - just unbelievably good.
Nice.. Any photo to share ? I do like FOW cables . HD25 cables are silver also if anyone thinks that cables change the sound. HD25 light cable is both L and R the shame length the none light its not.
Also the old HD600 is different inside when i cut it compared to 650 660 cable.
By the way none of hd 6 series sound metallic to me ... For example 1990 amd some hifiman planar sound metalic to me.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #7,710 of 9,628
After all this time today i saw a difference in painting the downside is bluish black thats strange.
Does anyone have that also ?
20210811_020925.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back