Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 24, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #7,681 of 9,618
Having recent purchased the 660s and being thrilled with them, I'm wondering if I should "upgrade" my source. I'm currently using a Schiit Hel dac/amp, but I've been considering moving to a modi/magni stack. I use a desktop mic now in the rare instances where I game online so I don't really need the mic input of the Hel.

Was looking at the modi and magni heresy specifically. Would there be an upgrade over the Hel in sound, or probably fairly similar? Anyone with experience?

You won't benefit from more power than the Hel provides. It has plenty for the HD660S. The HD660S are 104db/V sensitivity, 150 ohms. Plug that into this headphone power calculator

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Needs 27mw into 150 ohms to handle 110db dynamic peaks. That's very loud! And the Hel is rated 200mw into 300 ohms, so you are far from ever reaching its limits.

If you are looking at very accurate solid state amp/DACs, you could easily have trouble finding much difference in sound quality. If you are looking to change the sound, look into tube amps.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #7,683 of 9,618
You won't benefit from more power than the Hel provides. It has plenty for the HD660S. The HD660S are 104db/V sensitivity, 150 ohms. Plug that into this headphone power calculator

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Needs 27mw into 150 ohms to handle 110db dynamic peaks. That's very loud! And the Hel is rated 200mw into 300 ohms, so you are far from ever reaching its limits.

If you are looking at very accurate solid state amp/DACs, you could easily have trouble finding much difference in sound quality. If you are looking to change the sound, look into tube amps.
Thanks. Not looking for more volume, I'm a relatively low volume listener. I like to listen around 65db with peaks around 70db, so I'm far from utilizing the power the Hel provides. I only need to go to about 10 o'clock on low gain to achieve the aforementioned volume on the 660s.

I was more wondering whether moving to a magni/modi stack would improve the sound in any noticeable way- perhaps better clarity/separation/etc. The onboard on my MSI z490 motherboard is quite good, but the Hel definitely provides a noticeable improvement. It seems moving to another solid state amp maybe would not though.

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #7,686 of 9,618
DCA Aeon RT is very close in mids and treble, but also has more enjoyable bass.
I second that. I was going to recommend the AFO X which is same as RT. To me I like the mids and highs better than any can in the 600 family, not to mention the much superior lows. I can't recommend them enough.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #7,688 of 9,618
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #7,691 of 9,618
Jul 9, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #7,693 of 9,618
I think the 660s do really well w a cable change. To me the stock 4.4mm cable makes the sound too warm. I got a 8 wire copper litz cable w a rhodium plug and that really did the trick

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #7,694 of 9,618
I think the 660s do really well w a cable change. To me the stock 4.4mm cable makes the sound too warm. I got a 8 wire copper litz cable w a rhodium plug and that really did the trick
I now know to disregard any opinion you may have. Thanks!

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #7,695 of 9,618
I now know to disregard any opinion you may have. Thanks!
Please try and remember that we all hear things differently. I think your approach needs to take in to account that opinions on different aspects of this hobby are subjective so a bit more open mindedness is needed. But feel free to block me if you don’t wish to read my subjective opinions lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back