Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #5,446 of 9,628
hd650 is so reference-referenced that almost anyone I knew sold it because of the (very) accentuated and upfront warmness of the midbass section

While anyone that's been from years into headphones , keeps the hd600 the most; or eventually buys it back , no one buys back an hd650 after selling it .

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #5,447 of 9,628
hd650 is so reference-referenced that almost anyone I knew sold it because of the (very) accentuated and upfront warmness of the midbass section

while anyone that's been from year (tenth of years ) into headphones , keeps the hd600 the mos. or eventually buys it back . no one though buys back an hd650 after selling it .

Oh dear. It's hard to know where to start.............. so I won't.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #5,449 of 9,628

while anyone that's been from year (tenth of years ) into headphones , keeps the hd600 the mos. or eventually buys it back . no one though buys back an hd650 after selling it .

Keep in mind that you don't know that many people compared to the total number of people in this hobby, so your information is limited :wink:

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #5,450 of 9,628
I'm lucky I can express my limited information though without causing too much commotion :D or double thoughts . Hd650 is widespread known for being a colored headphone >>suited to few genres only<< , therefor one can see how it is hardly kept in sight as a reference from both the sound engineer / music tech productor , and the allround user ..

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5,451 of 9,628
I'm lucky I can express my limited information though without causing too much commotion :D or double thoughts .

Yes.

Hd650 is widespread known for being a colored headphone >>suited to few genres only<< , therefor one can see how it is hardly kept in sight as a reference from both the sound engineer / music tech productor , and the allround user ..

No.

No offence, really, but you discredit yourself every time you post something like this. Do yourself a favour and visit a pro audio forum like https://www.gearslutz.com and read about how the HD650 has long been, and continues to be, a reference in the pro audio world, often used in music production. That is a fact. It may differ from your (and your friends) opinion(s) and that's fine - you can hold any opinion you like about the HD650, but it doesn't change the facts.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #5,452 of 9,628
Yes.

No.

No offence, really, but you discredit yourself every time you post something like this. Do yourself a favour and visit a pro audio forum like https://www.gearslutz.com and read about how the HD650 has long been, and continues to be, a reference in the pro audio world, often used in music production. That is a fact. It may differ from your (and your friends) opinion(s) and that's fine - you can hold any opinion you like about the HD650, but it doesn't change the facts.
Thank you, very well said.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #5,453 of 9,628
no offense at all . it's good to learn .

I'm not afraid to discredit myself as for to learn something when I have to ..

Probably the (limited) audio&mixing rooms of my experience , or people working with them , and my limited sharing around hd650
Keep in mind that you don't know that many people compared to the total number of people in this hobby, so your information is limited
makes sense

I am sure though that I am not the only one (discrediting himself, or not) that thinks that hd650 are not allrounder , and ( besides being resolving ) are coloured in the sense of warm , mids/midbass pronounced tones at least

I won't list all the users that said so through the ages . the fact that they are a widespread reference for studio mix ...,mmmmmmmmmm... I really have seen other brands and pairs in mixing studios . but my exp is limited I didnt surf hundreds studios , I will surf gearslutz later, thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #5,454 of 9,628
I have been piano player (for many years )

drums (for a bit less)

been attending some recording studios or similar ( not for classical :frowning2: )

no-hd650 spotted though ,,
Beyers , AT , Akg ..some Sony : / . mainly those . Almost all closed back .
Rarely saw a pair of Sennheisers. if I well recall once it was there as a II pair or not the only .
I concur this is just my limited first person experience , nothing to do with world' numbers
or gearslutz user reports which I'm going to read later, to see what happens in the rest of the world .

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #5,455 of 9,628
@boodi I'll save you some time!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bes...dio-headphones-over-300-a-2.html#post13720862

(scroll to the top of that page)

Sennheiser HD 650
One of the most recommended headphones when it comes to critical listening applications is the Sennheiser HD 650, widely adapted by many of our users and one of the most popular choices amongst professionals worldwide.

Yes, the HD650 has some upper mid bass emphasis, and no, this list isn't gospel or all inclusive, but it does give a very clear idea of what the people involved in producing the music that we end up obsessing over (as far as accurate reproduction is concerned) actually use in it's production.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #5,456 of 9,628
I have been piano player (for many years )

drums (for a bit less)

been attending some recording studios or similar ( not for classical :frowning2: )

no-hd650 spotted though ,,
Beyers , AT , Akg ..some Sony : / . mainly those . Almost all closed back .

Rarely saw a pair of Sennheisers. if I well recall once it was there as a II pair or not the only .
I concur this is just my limited first person experience , nothing to do with world' numbers
or gearslutz user reports which I'm going to read later, to see what happens in the rest of the world .

If you're recording in a studio you will always be using closed backs for tracking. Open back headphones, like the HD650, are preferred for mixing and critical listening.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #5,457 of 9,628
grado( before hd650 ) for mixing boards ?
I live another planet probably
or that list is *somewhat biased....... someone could know why
I would have an incredible hard time finding someone telling a grado pair ( hp-2 apart ) for a mixing board (left alone the fact that it's more rare to see open headphones around mixers then closed)

ps I suspect that bias and advertising fees apart , similar comments as the fifth i read on that very page you linked! >
HD600 are much more accurate than the 650
will be frequent

I guess I'm not that discreditable as you may have wanted to say -without offending of course...

I will read ( and report carefully :wink: ) on that pages later or during the week!

thanks for now @Mike F

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #5,458 of 9,628
Gearslutz is supported by our visitors. When you buy products through links across our site, we earn an affiliate commission

+ there's 4-5 users , maybe 7 , that are talking under that thread you linked :frowning2:

+ hd650 not named in other 4 "top mix headphones" lists that google offers me .

I will need to check other places probably too for world numbers. or whatever..not a big deal now

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #5,459 of 9,628
you discredit yourself every time you post something like this. Do yourself a favour and visit a pro audio forum like https://www.gearslutz.com
now this looks sort of very arbitrary ,.. you know ..

just saying

Wonder who knows better the numbers now and what numbers they are.

btw on the short user-experience listed under that list you linked , almost anyone calls or use another headphones ( not hd650 )
go figure..

no offence... :bouquet:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #5,460 of 9,628
Hi JM. Nice review!

The only part of your review which I thought was less than very good (and just for the sake of accuracy) was the following:-

'The paint job is now a matte black finish, giving it a more 'modern' look. The ear cups have a darkened look with the driver being easily visible still. The outer driver "cover" bears some resemblance to the HD 800 series. This design choice is seemingly on purpose to tie the headphone into the pricier brethren upstream.'

First, just so that no-one is misled, the paint job on the HD660S is...... non existent! It has no paint - it's just matt black plastic. That's a good thing because it eliminates a problem that has always plagued the HD650 and HD600, that of the paint chipping off.

Totally understand. That was just more of a 'writer's flourish' meant to illustrate the different look, not to be taking completely literally. And I totally agree, the wear and tear on the 660 S, if properly cared for, is almost non-existent: e.g. they look as good on day 1 as they do a year from purchase.

Second, whilst it could be said that the driver bears 'some' resemblance to the HD800 series, it would be far more accurate too say that it bears striking resemblance to the HD700's driver. In fact, they look exactly the same and it's widely believed that the HD660S uses a retuned version of the driver from the now discontinued HD700. There's lots of information on the net about this.

Certainly, I wasn't trying to infer it's the same driver (it's obviously not). More that the external housing is meant to look like the same as the 800's; presumably for product line continuation purposes.

Senny-REview.png

Personally, having all of the main six series headphones (HD580 Precision, HD600, HD650, HD660S) and loving the HD660S as I do, I would still describe the HD650 as 'The King'! Maybe I'll write a post about that sometime. One reason is that (without going into any further details) I still think that the HD650 is the yardstick by which all other (at least dynamic) headphones are judged (and will be for the foreseeable future).
I've seen the HD660S described as an 'audiophile' headphone and the HD650 described as a 'reference' headphone by Amazon. Although I don't take much notice of how Amazon describe various headphones, I think they are right here!

They all have their virtues, certainly. I felt, to my ears, that the 650's are just a bit too "dark". The 660 S just feels "right" to me. It's just the right balance of everything with no EQ'ing needed. I'm not technically savvy enough to pronounce them "neutral" and they are likely, most definitely, not that. But they are, well... "balanced".

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back