Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 21, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #5,386 of 9,628
B2 is more warm and analog sounding with smooth highs albeit rolled off.
B3 is the most tonally correct of the series and one of the best in the market.
Technically competent but lacking in ultimate detail and high frequency extension.
But that's good to my book because you get more natural presentation without serious peaks and listening fatigue.
Unfortunately my reviews can be read only at the printed edition of hxos plus magazine in Greek.

Thanks for answering , I will try to find out these magazines and read your reviews . Happy to find an opinion that I could trust .

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #5,389 of 9,628
So I stumbled upon an interesting angle related to the redesign of the 6-series headphones and use of new materials. Upon adding an HD-650 (old model) and HD-660S (new model) to my cart on amazon.com (for research, I already own them), I noticed that only the old HD-650 comes up with the Proposition 65 California Warning ("This product can expose you to chemicals including Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP) which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.")

So did Sennheiser take the opportunity during the refresh to also use safer plastics? And is this about the cable only or the plastics used on the headphone as a whole? I realize that this is a minor or insignificant issue for most reading here, but still it's an interesting consideration. Once we know more, it might drive me to change my old 600 and 650 with the new models (eventually).

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #5,390 of 9,628
So I stumbled upon an interesting angle related to the redesign of the 6-series headphones and use of new materials. Upon adding an HD-650 (old model) and HD-660S (new model) to my cart on amazon.com (for research, I already own them), I noticed that only the old HD-650 comes up with the Proposition 65 California Warning ("This product can expose you to chemicals including Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP) which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.")

So did Sennheiser take the opportunity during the refresh to also use safer plastics? And is this about the cable only or the plastics used on the headphone as a whole? I realize that this is a minor or insignificant issue for most reading here, but still it's an interesting consideration. Once we know more, it might drive me to change my old 600 and 650 with the new models (eventually).

Thats really interesting , do u have photo's of this warning?
Also i thought there are only the NEW 600 650 and 660 for sell the last month's.

Sennheiser should tell us about that.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #5,391 of 9,628
Maybe in the U.S. they are still unloading old stock?

1.jpg

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #5,393 of 9,628
Here is Amazon selling the old 600s (apparently) and no warning.

So is this is just a random warning overall (meaning it should appear on more products but doesn't) or an HD-650 issue only, or the HD-600 pictured here (although seemingly old version) is actually the new version? I did inquire about an old HD-600 based on the picture (from a different seller) and they responded that they are actually selling the new version. So it's all unknown. :) Only Sennheiser could possibly answer if they changed the plastics significantly.

2.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #5,394 of 9,628
Here is Amazon selling the old 600s (apparently) and no warning.

So is this is just a random warning overall (meaning it should appear on more products but doesn't) or an HD-650 issue only, or the HD-600 pictured here (although seemingly old version) is actually the new version? I did inquire about an old HD-600 based on the picture (from a different seller) and they responded that they are actually selling the new version. So it's all unknown. :) Only Sennheiser could possibly answer if they changed the plastics significantly.

It's been very confusing with the transition to the new models. I received a new style HD660S when I was expecting an old style one based on the picture on Amazon. Amazon just don't know or care about small cosmetic differences so it's not possible to be sure unless they actually state 'new model'.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #5,395 of 9,628

I think the most likely explanation is that it's simply a quirk in Amazon's system. Their website and inventory is a mess and this might be a warning that has to be flagged manually when a product is added

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #5,396 of 9,628
It's been very confusing with the transition to the new models. I received a new style HD660S when I was expecting an old style one based on the picture on Amazon. Amazon just don't know or care about small cosmetic differences so it's not possible to be sure unless they actually state 'new model'.

Most people that I speak with , they dont know about this October 2019 new models , I believe that most of 600 650 660 are the new ones and they just didnt update the photos . Even the Sennheiser site has the New model but with the old grill ? because my 660s that is 2020 model had grills with Sennheiser logo different ( not transparent ) than photos :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #5,399 of 9,628
Yes! I bought the clear a month before getting the HD660S. I ended up selling the clear and keeping the 660S. The main problem I had with the clear was a shouty, fatiguing midrange. Also even though the bass was more extended with the clear, it was not as present as with the 660S. The 660S has way better imaging as well and a very slightly wider soundstage. In the end, the 660S is fun to listen to and the clear was not.

God I'm so glad I read this post. I was considering the Clear. The 660S is just so pleasant. Yesterday I put on my 600 again and it reminded me why I like the 660S so much. Not that I'll sell the 600, but the improvement between models is so apparent.

As an aside can someone point me to some really nice replacement cables for the 660S? I have only ever used the Sennheiser stuff, I want something nicer just for poops and giggles.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #5,400 of 9,628
Is there anyone selling the "new" 660 S in the U.S.? I was able to find the "new" 600 from Sweetwater. I just bought them, their my first pair of 600's.

And honestly, there's not a ton of difference between the 600 and 660 S. I had the 660 S for almost 1 year and just sold mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back