Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 22, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #5,401 of 9,618
Is there anyone selling the "new" 660 S in the U.S.? I was able to find the "new" 600 from Sweetwater. I just bought them, their my first pair of 600's.

And honestly, there's not a ton of difference between the 600 and 660 S. I had the 660 S for almost 1 year and just sold mine.
Amazon has it.

upload_2020-1-22_12-28-4.png

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #5,403 of 9,618
Yes! I bought the clear a month before getting the HD660S. I ended up selling the clear and keeping the 660S. The main problem I had with the clear was a shouty, fatiguing midrange. Also even though the bass was more extended with the clear, it was not as present as with the 660S. The 660S has way better imaging as well and a very slightly wider soundstage. In the end, the 660S is fun to listen to and the clear was not.

God I'm so glad I read this post. I was considering the Clear. The 660S is just so pleasant. Yesterday I put on my 600 again and it reminded me why I like the 660S so much. Not that I'll sell the 600, but the improvement between models is so apparent.

I don't have the Clear or 660S, but I do have the Elex and 58X. My impressions are very similar, because the 58X has that nice smooth and present bass the Elex just doesn't have, as fast and dynamic as it is. Focal is all about speed and dynamics, Sennheiser is all about smooth and natural sound. Using EQ with the Elex definitely helps, but the 58X is just so inviting and immersive.

I heard the 660S like two years ago, so I don't remember too much how it sounded. But I absolutely love the presentation on the 58X more than the 600. If the 58X and 660S are anything alike, which I suspect they are, than I would bet the 660S also has that nice smooth and liquid midrange I love in the 58X.

I know that certain reviewers hyped up the 58X up to ridiculous levels, but can anyone here who has both the 58X and 660S on hand comment on the improvements/differences? I'm wondering if the 660S would be a worthwhile purchase. (Then I can use it as an excuse to say I officially own all 4 of the current 600 style Sennheisers!)

As an aside can someone point me to some really nice replacement cables for the 660S? I have only ever used the Sennheiser stuff, I want something nicer just for poops and giggles.

I'm waiting on a custom Sennheiser cable from Sky Audio Cables on eBay, they look really nice. And you can customize with 37 different color patterns.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Headphone-Cable-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-HD660S/173318742084

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #5,404 of 9,618
I don't have the Clear or 660S, but I do have the Elex and 58X. My impressions are very similar, because the 58X has that nice smooth and present bass the Elex just doesn't have, as fast and dynamic as it is. Focal is all about speed and dynamics, Sennheiser is all about smooth and natural sound. Using EQ with the Elex definitely helps, but the 58X is just so inviting and immersive.

I heard the 660S like two years ago, so I don't remember too much how it sounded. But I absolutely love the presentation on the 58X more than the 600. If the 58X and 660S are anything alike, which I suspect they are, than I would bet the 660S also has that nice smooth and liquid midrange I love in the 58X.

I know that certain reviewers hyped up the 58X up to ridiculous levels, but can anyone here who has both the 58X and 660S on hand comment on the improvements/differences? I'm wondering if the 660S would be a worthwhile purchase. (Then I can use it as an excuse to say I officially own all 4 of the current 600 style Sennheisers!)

I'm waiting on a custom Sennheiser cable from Sky Audio Cables on eBay, they look really nice. And you can customize with 37 different color patterns.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Headphone-Cable-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-HD660S/173318742084
See post 5274 for my take. The 660s isn't as rough around the edges if that makes sense. It's a better polished tuning.

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #5,409 of 9,618

hello , I have HD5 series all of them , HD58X ,HD6XX, HD660s so if u want to ask or see any photo of them I can do. First of all in my opinion HD660S are to my ears the best for good quality Stereo music.
HD650 or 6XX are the best for old bad quality tracks ( some say that audiophile headphones need flac or 320kbps , what I am saying is even bad quality 128kbps can sound good on some headphones).

About 58X vs 660S I got first the 58X because I got hyped by all those people saying that sound like 660S they have same driver they have same characteristics etch etch , 58X are great headphones but in my ears (mostly resolution) they are on HD 5 series tier . Sites that I trust for many years like RT ratings for example made me buy them, and no they are not close to HD 600 or 650 or 660s sorry .
The reason is that none of HD 600 or 650 or 660s are grainy to my ears and also all of them have more resolution to my ears ( I am not saying that 58X are bad , no way I still love my HD599 so much that a lot of people dont like , but I like them for other reasons)
So if u just have both 58X and 660s and listening side by side without having all these Reviewers in your mind and just close your eyes , you gone see for your self that , HD 660s has better resolution way better imaging ( rtratings has measures 58X great imaging but personally I cant hear it ) the bass on HD 660s has nothing to do with 58X the bass on 660S are something between 600 and 650 its more detail with progression I can hear the progression for example when I put a KHZ measurement on audio I can feel the high bass mid bass separation better, HD650 had more thicker more full bodied bass and 600 sounds clean but without progression , so to me 660s bass feels more realistic . HD58X bass has presence on mid low end bass that others dont but it feels strange to me because on some EDM tracks that I listen a lot it feels like there is no progression it feels like its going from mids to low end and losing the detail of the bass on mid and high bass that 660S giving me .

About plastics and build quality , the new made in Romania are better .

About the aftermarket cables ...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Headphone-Cable-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-HD660S/173318742084 , in my opinion you should use them only on a headphone that you dont care , The balanced + - connectors that are going to the drivers are way different than the originals , Original pin connectors have the best quality that I have seen until now they are more refined the size of them are perfected to much the driver they are not fatter or thinner they have positive click .
Way more expensive cables 150-300 euros that I have seen , still dont have good connectors like Sennheiser have , a make my self many measurements on different aftermarkets and some was terrible destroying the drivers connection and some was just ok but again not perfect.
I know that all this Cable thing its nice , so I advice you if you do it , first check the connections and measure them .

Just see these , for example this is a premium cable , but again the connectors are different and doesnt positive click .

in my opinion original Sennheiser cable is so good that its hard to find a good after market .

20191122_100446.jpg

All the aftermarket ( premium or bad quality ) connectors have some major differences like the head of the pins are different on Originals they are more cycled, also the negative from positive always has different fatness , also the originals are shorter , the plastic on the originals have 2 cuts right and left , the quality material of the pins on originals are also better .
So for me until now I have never seen any other connector that is perfected like the original , some are close some are not , Some are so bad that they brake the inner connection of the driver just see some replies on Amazon .
So I would think that again using a bad connector to a 500Euro headphone :) … Unless if you dont care or you never put the cable out again . And yeah a lot of people have aftermarker cables without problems or worst sound quality , I understand that … but I had to write what I have seen .

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #5,410 of 9,618
hello , I have HD5 series all of them , HD58X ,HD6XX, HD660s so if u want to ask or see any photo of them I can do. First of all in my opinion HD660S are to my ears the best for good quality Stereo music.
HD650 or 6XX are the best for old bad quality tracks ( some say that audiophile headphones need flac or 320kbps , what I am saying is even bad quality 128kbps can sound good on some headphones).

About 58X vs 660S I got first the 58X because I got hyped by all those people saying that sound like 660S they have same driver they have same characteristics etch etch , 58X are great headphones but in my ears (mostly resolution) they are on HD 5 series tier . Sites that I trust for many years like RT ratings for example made me buy them, and no they are not close to HD 600 or 650 or 660s sorry .
The reason is that none of HD 600 or 650 or 660s are grainy to my ears and also all of them have more resolution to my ears ( I am not saying that 58X are bad , no way I still love my HD599 so much that a lot of people dont like , but I like them for other reasons)
So if u just have both 58X and 660s and listening side by side without having all these Reviewers in your mind and just close your eyes , you gone see for your self that , HD 660s has better resolution way better imaging ( rtratings has measures 58X great imaging but personally I cant hear it ) the bass on HD 660s has nothing to do with 58X the bass on 660S are something between 600 and 650 its more detail with progression I can hear the progression for example when I put a KHZ measurement on audio I can feel the high bass mid bass separation better, HD650 had more thicker more full bodied bass and 600 sounds clean but without progression , so to me 660s bass feels more realistic . HD58X bass has presence on mid low end bass that others dont but it feels strange to me because on some EDM tracks that I listen a lot it feels like there is no progression it feels like its going from mids to low end and losing the detail of the bass on mid and high bass that 660S giving me .

About plastics and build quality , the new made in Romania are better .

About the aftermarket cables ...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Headphone-Cable-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-HD660S/173318742084 , in my opinion you should use them only on a headphone that you dont care , The balanced + - connectors that are going to the drivers are way different than the originals , Original pin connectors have the best quality that I have seen until now they are more refined the size of them are perfected to much the driver they are not fatter or thinner they have positive click .
Way more expensive cables 150-300 euros that I have seen , still dont have good connectors like Sennheiser have , a make my self many measurements on different aftermarkets and some was terrible destroying the drivers connection and some was just ok but again not perfect.
I know that all this Cable thing its nice , so I advice you if you do it , first check the connections and measure them .

Just see these , for example this is a premium cable , but again the connectors are different and doesnt positive click .

in my opinion original Sennheiser cable is so good that its hard to find a good after market .

All the aftermarket ( premium or bad quality ) connectors have some major differences like the head of the pins are different on Originals they are more cycled, also the negative from positive always has different fatness , also the originals are shorter , the plastic on the originals have 2 cuts right and left , the quality material of the pins on originals are also better .
So for me until now I have never seen any other connector that is perfected like the original , some are close some are not , Some are so bad that they brake the inner connection of the driver just see some replies on Amazon .
So I would think that again using a bad connector to a 500Euro headphone :) … Unless if you dont care or you never put the cable out again . And yeah a lot of people have aftermarker cables without problems or worst sound quality , I understand that … but I had to write what I have seen .

I agree with your assessment for the 58x Vs the rest of the series but disagree partially with your assessment about the connectors of the third party providers. I have 3 cables two of them the connectors cannot be inserted perfectly but one does :

Ablet HiFi Cable with 2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male Compatible with Sennheiser HD650, HD600, HD580, HD660S, Massdrop HD6XX Headphone & Compatible Astell&Kern AK240 AK380 onkyo AK320 DP-X1 FIIO https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M9PFFZ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AdxkEbZZZ8PS9

The cable above has fantastic connectors very good sound quality it is just too long for me. It is also microphonic but I do not care about this some people may find annoying.

According to DIY audio the drivers in 58x are smaller than the rest of the series so yes it seems a different category headphone.

Thank you also about the feedback for the plastics of new models it is useful to me but I am wondering is that true also for 660s?

I mean that since 660s is a new model maybe had better plastics from the beginning or the new model from Romania really feels better ?

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #5,411 of 9,618
@rafaelo I’ve said this before but you may have missed it. I’ve had both the old style made in Romania and the new style made in Romania HD660S. The colour and quality of the plastic is exactly the same from the old model to the new model, but the moulds used are new and slightly different. Some people prefer the new style and some people prefer the old.

The only thing I think that can be said to be better about the new style model is that the moulds are actually new, so they haven’t deteriorated to give any signs of unevenness or small defects which can be seen on the old style models if you look very carefully.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #5,412 of 9,618
@rafaelo I’ve said this before but you may have missed it. I’ve had both the old style made in Romania and the new style made in Romania HD660S. The colour and quality of the plastic is exactly the same from the old model to the new model, but the moulds used are new and slightly different. Some people prefer the new style and some people prefer the old.

The only thing I think that can be said to be better about the new style model is that the moulds are actually new, so they haven’t deteriorated to give any signs of unevenness or small defects which can be seen on the old style models if you look very carefully.

Great this makes me not regretting for NOT buying one of the made in Ireland models at all. Many thanks.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #5,413 of 9,618
Great this makes me not regretting for NOT buying one of the made in Ireland models at all. Many thanks.

I’ve also directly compared my old style made in Romania HD660S with an old style made in Ireland one. They are exactly the same except for the piece of plastic which holds the headband which doesn’t have ‘Made in Ireland’ stamped on it (and the solid background to the Sennheiser S badge on the grill). Even all of the small mould defects were exactly the same. All of those same defects are present on my old 650’s as well But somewhat less obvious because they are covered in paint!

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #5,414 of 9,618
I agree with your assessment for the 58x Vs the rest of the series but disagree partially with your assessment about the connectors of the third party providers. I have 3 cables two of them the connectors cannot be inserted perfectly but one does :

Ablet HiFi Cable with 2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male Compatible with Sennheiser HD650, HD600, HD580, HD660S, Massdrop HD6XX Headphone & Compatible Astell&Kern AK240 AK380 onkyo AK320 DP-X1 FIIO https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M9PFFZ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AdxkEbZZZ8PS9

The cable above has fantastic connectors very good sound quality it is just too long for me. It is also microphonic but I do not care about this some people may find annoying.

According to DIY audio the drivers in 58x are smaller than the rest of the series so yes it seems a different category headphone.

Thank you also about the feedback for the plastics of new models it is useful to me but I am wondering is that true also for 660s?

I mean that since 660s is a new model maybe had better plastics from the beginning or the new model from Romania really feels better ?

I dont know these Ablet Hifi cables, the connector seeing on the photos doesnt look the same like originals , I believe you that works ok for you … but again personally :) I have to see it up close to be sure that is the same like the originals .
Also personally even if I never tried my self I would like to see some reviews from others, For example I bought FOW cables without seeing them because of all these positive reviews . So yeah even if I believe you saying this is great cable , from the photos and just 2 customer reviews its a no go from me , ( again I am not saying its bad but wouldn't risk it)

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #5,415 of 9,618
I dont know these Ablet Hifi cables, the connector seeing on the photos doesnt look the same like originals , I believe you that works ok for you … but again personally :) I have to see it up close to be sure that is the same like the originals .
Also personally even if I never tried my self I would like to see some reviews from others, For example I bought FOW cables without seeing them because of all these positive reviews . So yeah even if I believe you saying this is great cable , from the photos and just 2 customer reviews its a no go from me , ( again I am not saying its bad but wouldn't risk it)
I will make photos today or worst case in the weekend to see what I mean about the connectors. For me the albet ones fit perfectly the sennheisers and since they are transparent they are even prettier than the originals but nevertheless I did not recommend this cable for other various reasons.

I prefer and recommend the Chinese 22£ cable even if the connectors does not fit perfectly because is shorter and has a smooth soft touch feel without microphonics.

I bought the Amazon one first otherwise if I knew before I would buy from lunashops an additional pure silver one instead but now unfortunately is too late. But the connectors are great in the Amazon one so it is possible to find one with good connectors.

Another guy that made me my first balanced cable (now one side is dead) for 6xx told me that could not find better connectors but I think they exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back