Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 24, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #422 of 9,585
Does the new 660S use the same cable as the 650? It looks the same in the photo. I spent a little bit on custom blue dragon cables for my 650, so not needing new cables would be a nice thing for sure.

Also, I wonder how the 660S will scale with gear compared to the 650. The 650 is known to be one of the best scaling headphones, so it will be interesting to know if the 660S scales up a lot as well.

They definitely look interesting to me, and there isn't a significant difference in price between these two.

One of the biggest questions for me as someone looking at headphones in this range is how these compared to the new Audeze LCD2 classic. One of these two headphones will likely be on my Christmas list.

Jude, as a current owner and fan of the HD650, I have custom cables (balanced and what not) for my HD650. Will these work on the HD660 or did they change the plugs? :grimacing:

@dasmodul, it's the same plug/jack configuration, so your custom cables should work just fine on the HD660S.

Correct, the cable connectors are the same.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #423 of 9,585
Could you please connect both to a phone? :p or a tiny cheaper AMP. I havê a fiio e12 and usually lile to avoid big AMPS/dacs. I like to feel free to move around.

By less distortion do you mean cleaner, less colored, less warm than the 650? That van be good for some ans bad FPR other. I dont mind a tilt of warmness myself. For example i like the sound signature of the momentums. A bit of warmneas bit still clear. Makes music more enjoyable. For me at least.
They are warm enough, never got goosebumps so far, lol. They run fine on the E12A the HD650 already did.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #424 of 9,585
They are warm enough, never got goosebumps so far, lol. They run fine on the E12A the HD650 already did.
Lol. Good to know. The e12 from what i know is a Tony bit more powerfull than the 12a so it should do just fine.

I dont know if you replied this but the hd650s you havê are the silver drivers ones or are they a older version?

Now that you had some days to compare both, do you think it is still worth buying the hd650 instead of the 660 if they are.... Lets say for example 100 euros cheaper?

Now switching between both do you feel the hd650 sounding a bit muffled or something lile that? The increase in resolution and overall sound quality on the hd660 is easily noticeable when comparing both?

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #425 of 9,585
For years it has been said that HD700 failed hard for Sennheiser yet somehow they still continued to be sold. Having owned the HD650 twice I can say the HD700 is a different signature altogether and I don't even expect the 660S to replace what it does. Will have to hear it first, but I think Sennheiser, if truly wanting to replace the HD700, just had an ideal time to do that.

I think instead of replacing the HD700, they just dropped the price and perhaps they were more successful. With my latest vintage HD250 Linear Mk1, LCD2, and HD700 I'm pretty much covered for my open backs (oh wait, the HD250 isn't an open back, haha but sometimes it sounds like it. Pretty much a closed HD600 with more bass). The one I want most is the HD800S along with an HD540. But that can wait.

I think you're right on that point -- I have yet to buy a pair of headphones that cost as much as the HD 700 did originally, but when the price was down to $500, I jumped, and while I will not sell my HD 600 (since they're such different headphones sonically), I enjoy the unique sound of the HD 700, and at $500 or less, I think it's worth the price.

I doubt they will discontinue any of the HD 600, HD 650, or HD 700, although if any were to be discontinued, I'd bet on the HD 700, but I'd bet at the price they're selling for now, they still sell enough to justify production.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #426 of 9,585
Honestly, I am so effing tired of seeing him all over this place, every time I log in. Just picture of his stupid face, only one pic with in-ears. Otherwise he's not wearing any headphones. Hey everyone - buy our headphones - because - because - hey - look - an ugly guy all over your headphone group. Sennheiser paid money for these ads?

It doesn't bother me a lot, but I've noticed that creepy looking guy lately all over Head Fi in the Sennheiser ads, and mostly it... confuses me. :sweat_smile:

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #427 of 9,585
I am an old cheap skate :L3000: but it looks like I can retro fit my 15 year old hd600 with hd660 drivers when they come available ? ....was just going to buy these , how much are the drivers :beerchug:

Oct 24, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #430 of 9,585
The video is fine. Music is about the heart, body and soul not just the ears.

I will no doubt be in trouble but maybe it wasn't aimed at an American audience :wink:

Maybe an endorsement from an NFL 'star' or a rapper would be more successful ?!??

PS I agree it does sound great. Through HD600 in my case

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #432 of 9,585
Lol. Good to know. The e12 from what i know is a Tony bit more powerfull than the 12a so it should do just fine.

I dont know if you replied this but the hd650s you havê are the silver drivers ones or are they a older version?

Now that you had some days to compare both, do you think it is still worth buying the hd650 instead of the 660 if they are.... Lets say for example 100 euros cheaper?

Now switching between both do you feel the hd650 sounding a bit muffled or something lile that? The increase in resolution and overall sound quality on the hd660 is easily noticeable when comparing both?

My HD650 have silver baffle material. I would not buy the HD650 if I can have the HD660S. I spend a good amount of money into sound, to me the price of the HD660S is ok. It is worth it now.

Oct 24, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #433 of 9,585
There have been several questions about the HD 660 S pads, such as this one:
They are the same for 600 and 650, yes.
Does anyone actually have proof the HD660S pads are different?

To help, here have been some helpful responses from the community:
I have both the HD650 and the HD660S. Yes the pads are different. The HD660S's pads are deeper. I measure 2.7 cm against 2.2 cm

I'm going through some images we took of the Sennheiser HD 660 S and I figured I'd post a couple photos that show the new pads.

Here are two normal photos of the HD 660 S and one next to the HD 650 (click on the images to see larger sizes):

And here are the same images with the shadow levels pushed to accentuate the "scoop" of the new pads (click on the images to see larger sizes):

In the first image, you might notice that the HD 650 (left) has a more rounded pad while the HD 660 S (right) has a flatter, more angled slope on the inside. As Jude mentioned in his post, the HD 660 S's pads feel more spacious than the HD 650's. While this could also be due to a lower clamping force of the headband, I'm sure the new angle on the inside of the pads are making a noticeable difference in comfort.

I don't know about everyone else, but I also love the HD 660 S's new embossed grills.

Indeed, the pad covers and inner material are the same, however the shape is different. Another way to express this, is the HD 650 has “donut” shaped round pads, compared to the more cup-shaped pads on the HD 660 S. The difference is visually small, but it was designed to feel more roomy and pleasant.

Edit: the replacement pads for the HD 660 S and HD 650, HD 600 headphones all have the same part number going forward.

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #434 of 9,585
I don't see what the big deal was about the video. Seems like an average commercial to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back