Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 20, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #3,991 of 9,628
Definately not punchy and dynamic enough as you say.

Speaking from the shallow end (have very little experience with headphones) I've found that the 660S* whilst lacking bass decay does have on heck of a punchy and 'immediate' bass, it's almost like being hit in the face with a hammer if the volumes up

*FLAC/AK70 Mkii, iDSD BL to HD660S with Forza Claire Hybrid Cable

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #3,992 of 9,628
FWIW...here is an FR comparison of the 660 and 58X...copied from 'another' site

And here it [HD58X] is compared to HD660S in YELLOW. FR is very similar!
index.php

And...from same site

GREEN = HD58X
ORANGE = HD660S
GREY = HD6XX
PURP = HD600
index.php

Just from the FR above, does the imply that 660S is less mid centric than 6XX?

I find my 6XX to be somewhat muddied and too mid focused.

With EQ however, they sound fantastic with details being more pronounced

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #3,993 of 9,628
Same here. I ended up listening modern music with it, so that reflects that it smoothens modern music response. Moden music tends to be mastered sounding peaky in the treble. I think It's the blunting scoup in the FR causing the smoothing.

Definately not punchy and dynamic enough as you say.

I understand why people would like one over the other as both 650 and 660 have strengths and weaknesses but for anyone to bash the 660 as not deserving to be in the same class as its older brothers is not fair.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #3,994 of 9,628
Just from the FR above, does the imply that 660S is less mid centric than 6XX?

I find my 6XX to be somewhat muddied and too mid focused.

With EQ however, they sound fantastic with details being more pronounced

660 has some mid bass bloom removed but still very close in sound signature, to my ear the improvements are in driver speed, tighter bass, better treble clarity, slightly larger soundstage, improved imaging, less blur, taste of effortless sound closer to senns flagships but not quite there.

650 is more romantic, slower, thicker, better low level detail, more dynamic but more fatiguing in upper mid/low treble in modern music (for me).

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #3,996 of 9,628
Are my pair of hd660s possibly faulty? They do not sound at all what everyone is describing them as, but even more veiled than even hd599. Going from hd599 and hd650 I expected something with higher freqs. It sounds like there is a low pass filter stuck on mine. They also don't seem to handle loud instant transients at all (i.e gun fire) and sort of splits the sound into two, as if they break attempting to play it.

I have the same problem. I just got mine and there are no highs. Its incredibly veiled! I also thought there was a problem with it. It's very strange. I wonder if anyone else will chime in. Everyone says that the 660s have a hotter treble, but these sound more veiled than the 650. I wonder if they made some design changes and didn't tell anyone or if they are straight up defective?

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #3,997 of 9,628
I have the same problem. I just got mine and there are no highs. Its incredibly veiled! I also thought there was a problem with it. It's very strange. I wonder if anyone else will chime in. Everyone says that the 660s have a hotter treble, but these sound more veiled than the 650. I wonder if they made some design changes and didn't tell anyone or if they are straight up defective?
FWIW I ended up doing the quarter mod on the foam to open up the highs, and it worked.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #3,998 of 9,628
I don't really want to open up the highs, as I actually like it like this, as it is not fatiguing and actually sounds quite natural. I was just expecting something different than what I am hearing, based on all the reviews of these headphones. Many people were saying that the treble is peaky and shouty and somewhat harsh. I feel this has the best-behaved treble of any of the 6XX series. I guess what different people hear is very subjective, based on what they are used to. I have tried the 58X from Massdrop and what the people said about the 660 definitely fit that headphone. In the beginning it sounds great, but that wow and zing factor quickly become fatiguing and you realize they turned up the treble too much from neutrality, to the point where it is distracting/fatiguing.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #3,999 of 9,628

Just curious - what is your source? I've never experienced any "veil" with my 660's.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #4,002 of 9,628
Well that source should work fine. You may have a lemon. Any others experiencing the same lack of treble?
Lack of treble compared to which other headphones?

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #4,003 of 9,628
Lack of treble compared to which other headphones?

Lacking compared to the HD-600. Don't get me wrong, I like the headphones and I do not feel it is a defect, merely a matter of tuning. I was just expecting a brighter headphone than the 600 and this is anything but. It is very easy to listen to, however. No listener fatigue and no sibilance. There are no annoying peaks in the highs, which is what I may be missing, and what makes it sound dark by comparison.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #4,005 of 9,628
So you diss them as having a "veil" because they are missing "annoying peaks in the highs"? To each his own, I suppose.

When I first listened to them they sounded like they were missing treble, compared to the HD-600. Now I realize that it wasn't that it was missing, it was just more refined. I really do like this headphone now and I have had the 600s as my only headphone for the last 8 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back