1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Levanter, Oct 8, 2017.
First

Back
255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264
266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275
Next

Last
  1. L8MDL
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    bgtip likes this.
  2. Lay.
    bgtip likes this.
  3. BobJS
    Yes, if you're looking for a simple, non diy approach.

pietcux likes this.
  4. Ruinedforfun
    MDA is a great starter amp/dac, however I recommend getting an amp first like an atom or magni 3 and saving up for a dac.

5. MacMan31
    I bought two from here. At the time I was able to choose the length of cable. Currently this is out of stock though. https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/original-sennheiser-cable/basicxlr.html

bgtip likes this.
  6. Roll
  7. homelis
    Either the QA control is bad for sennheiser and they're sending out two different versions of these, or some of you are terrible at describing a comparison. There is no way you can hear the hd660s as "brighter" than hd600 or hd650. The hd660s sound almost as veiled as hd599, as if there is a lowpass filter glued to it, and there is absolutely no way to mistake this. The frequency response graphs prove this. However they do not sound bad, the increased bass and mids are fun, but a lot of detail is gone.

8. Deftone
    Theres no argument, the 660 do sound a bit brighter, clearer and more lively than 650. The 600 line is for rich smooth musical enjoyment, if you want to analyze the details then you should be choosing HD800, Utopia, 009 etc.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  9. DavidA
    Agree with @Deftone that the HD660S is a bit brighter than HD650 but about the same brightness as HD600 to me.

musikverein, Roll and Deftone like this.
  10. Mike F
    Are the HD660S brighter or more detailed than the HD650....... it ain’t necessarily the same thing. They can be brighter and more detailed, but they could be brighter without being more detailed, or even less detailed.

I’m interested in this but it’s a bit moot for me. I’ve decided to pass because I love the 650’s smooth but detailed presentation and I don’t want ‘brighter’ for its own sake. And...... if I want more details I have the HD800!

musikverein likes this.
  11. kman1211
    I would say brighter in the upper midrange but darker in the mid/upper treble than the HD 650 as the upper most regions of the sound of the HD 660 S come across as a bit blunted in comparison. Plus the HD 660 S has less relative bass presence compared to the HD 650. I found there are two main things that determine perceived brightness. Frequency response and distortion/grain. Honestly never really found more detail(real detail) to make a headphone sound brighter or more fatiguing, most of the time I found the most resolving headphones cause less fatigue as they often have lower distortion levels. Outside of loud listening levels, the biggest cause of listening fatigue in my experience is grain/distortion followed by excessive peaks, etc. in FR response.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    musikverein and Mike F like this.
  12. sabocat
    My ears tell me the 660 offers a more detailed presentation from top to bottom. I find the 650 to have a muddy bass. The 660 has a tighter more articulate bass. This may be why some people hear the 660 as bright, due to the psychoacoustical relationship between top and bottom end.

Deftone likes this.
  13. Mike F
    Thanks, Kevin, thats a really helpful response, especially as I know you've had the 660S for a while now. And I couldn't agree more with the highlighted part of your post, especially the first half of the third sentence! Cheers!

14. Ichos
    I agree with @sabocat and that is what I am hearing from both headphones.
    Any way both of them offer top notch detail retrieval and the only factor for me to choose is the final presentation.
    Do you like a romantic , relaxed and a little bit mellower presentation or a fast front raw energetic presentation?
    Choose what it suits you the best.
    Both headphones are great.
    I liked more the HD660s especially for classical music.
    And imho they scale great but they are not amp dependant but source.
    The better the source the better they sound.

1TrickPony, Deftone and bgtip like this.
  15. bgtip
    I just happened to compare at this moment between my Loxjie P20, FiiO K3 and Little Bear P2, first two in fully balanced, Little Bear in SE (swapping cables like crazy). I can assure you that 660S sound depends on the amp, balanced and tubes being more detail resolving, transparent and wider sound stage.
    20190213_104115.jpg

trellus likes this.
First

Back
255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264
266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275
Next

Last