Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,906 of 9,628
Will the HD660S sound fuller, bassier, punchy, slammy and dynamic with Mojo than the HD650 (actually I don’t like Mojo-HD650 at all, too "thin" sound)?
If you found the HD650 + Mojo to be "thin sounding" then the HD660S + Mojo will probably be even thinner sounding since the HD660S is not as full sounding as the HD650 to me and my friend who owns the HD660S. Granted we didn't use a Mojo but we did try a Hugo, HD650 + Hugo is a bit warm and too thick/full sounding IMO while Hugo + HD660S is leaner, cleaner more dynamic sounding, a good match to the Hugo but we actually liked the HD660S with a more neutral DAC/amp like a Asgard2 or Jot.

Because they are not to his taste. Doesn't mean they won't be to yours.

PEOPLE, USE YOUR OWN EARS..NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S!!
Well said :beerchug:

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,907 of 9,628
Exactly, I have only headphones that never made this wall or got ripped off it. I enjoy them all. Beyer Amiron is incoming right now, that's for sure no contender for a wall.

Agreed, people should definitely trust their ears, reviews offer insight but will not always tell you what you will like the most, etc. You have the Beyer Amiron coming in? Did you have the chance to audition it?

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #1,910 of 9,628
Because they are not to his taste. Doesn't mean they won't be to yours.

PEOPLE, USE YOUR OWN EARS..NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S!!

Funny (and fun) how people get their knickers in a knot over reviewers' comments about products they own.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #1,911 of 9,628
Agreed, people should definitely trust their ears, reviews offer insight but will not always tell you what you will like the most, etc. You have the Beyer Amiron coming in? Did you have the chance to audition it?
No , I came across a used one from a fellow HeadFier and just could not resist.

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,912 of 9,628
Then HD 660 S is definitely not for you. In my opinion HD 595 is closer to HD 660 S than HD 598. I don't like HD 598 because it sounds muffled and warm compared to HD 595 (and HD 660 S). I don't find HD 598 bright at all and I think HD 660 S sounds rather neutral. If you get tinnitus I'd blame the volume level. It's good thing that they have reduced the sensitivity after each generation since HD 595 because it gets ear damaging volume levels way too easily. My HD 595 is unusably loud when directly connected to my soundcard.
I think the best way to tell which one i would like is to test them, However I think that the HD650 would be the best option for me after all I've read.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,913 of 9,628
Possibly silly question time but I'm going to ask anyway.

My experience of open headphones is more or less zilch. My current line up is IEM's and my main full size headphone is the B+W P9. I'm keen to try the 660 but wondered what will the difference be between the 2? I gather the open headphone will be more airy in the sound but is there anything else?

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,914 of 9,628
I recently bought a pair of the 660s from a member here. They are far better than the headphones I was using (first gen Beoplay H6). I’m no audiophile so my ear isn’t as refined as some of you.

I have been playing them out of my AV receiver - a Denon X2300w - and they seem a little flat. Oddly, playing them straight out my iPhone, they are far more detailed and interesting. I know my iPhone can’t push them effectively but it seems like my receiver isn’t doing them justice, either. I’ve been doing research on desktop amps and it seems like that might be a possibility. I have read some reports that the 2300w doesn’t have a pre-out (I need to confirm when I get home) but I can return it since I just bought it and get an AV receiver that does have them.

Or should I go a different route entirely?

I’m going to be listening to these mostly at home, so what do you all recommend to power these? Sources will include my iPhone, my Debut Carbon turntable and my AppleTV.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,915 of 9,628
I recently bought a pair of the 660s from a member here. They are far better than the headphones I was using (first gen Beoplay H6). I’m no audiophile so my ear isn’t as refined as some of you.

I have been playing them out of my AV receiver - a Denon X2300w - and they seem a little flat. Oddly, playing them straight out my iPhone, they are far more detailed and interesting. I know my iPhone can’t push them effectively but it seems like my receiver isn’t doing them justice, either. I’ve been doing research on desktop amps and it seems like that might be a possibility. I have read some reports that the 2300w doesn’t have a pre-out (I need to confirm when I get home) but I can return it since I just bought it and get an AV receiver that does have them.

Or should I go a different route entirely?

I’m going to be listening to these mostly at home, so what do you all recommend to power these? Sources will include my iPhone, my Debut Carbon turntable and my AppleTV.
While I didn't think the HD660S was for me it did sound quite good out of a iPhone/Galaxy S8 and not much better out of some of the amps that I tried (BH Crack, MicroZOTL2, EC ZDS, Elise, HA-501). I'd suggest looking into a DAP for the HD660S since some like @pietcux and others really like the HD660S with them and just keep the AV receiver

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,916 of 9,628
While I didn't think the HD660S was for me it did sound quite good out of a iPhone/Galaxy S8 and not much better out of some of the amps that I tried (BH Crack, MicroZOTL2, EC ZDS, Elise, HA-501). I'd suggest looking into a DAP for the HD660S since some like @pietcux and others really like the HD660S with them and just keep the AV receiver
I only use the SONY WM1A DAP for headphone listening around the house or in the office. They drive the HD660S with grace and ease. On your AVR all I can note I got the Denon 2200 first was not satisfied and switched to the Yamaha 779 after one hour of comparing them. The Denon seems to have it all, the Yamaha has it.

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,917 of 9,628
Well my ETA has come and gone....surprised (or maybe not) it's taking this long to have general circulation in Canada.
Available soon...? well that was back in November. : (
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 11.27.30 AM.png
https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/headphones-audiophile-high-end-hd-660-s

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,918 of 9,628

Users who are viewing this thread

Back