Sennheiser HD650's looking for a new headphone amp
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 44
I've contacted Schiit and am waiting for a response on which amp they will recommend for my specific application.  Thanks everyone for your recommendations!!  I'll post back and let you know how it turns out.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #17 of 44
I'd be interested to hear what they recommend. I have both the original Valhalla and the Magni 2. IF your front end is clean enough, The Magni 2 is actually quite adequate; I find it a very good match with my 650's.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #18 of 44
I'd be interested to hear what they recommend. I have both the original Valhalla and the Magni 2. IF your front end is clean enough, The Magni 2 is actually quite adequate; I find it a very good match with my 650's.

I did get a reply, this is what they said:

"Even Magni 2 would do fine with the HD650s, but best matches tonally are Valhalla 2 and Vali"

I wrote them back last night asking what they meant about 'matching tonally' but haven't received a response back yet.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #19 of 44
I did get a reply, this is what they said:

"Even Magni 2 would do fine with the HD650s, but best matches tonally are Valhalla 2 and Vali"

I wrote them back last night asking what they meant about 'matching tonally' but haven't received a response back yet.

My HD650s seem to like the smoothness I get from my Valhalla 2 and Vali. I'm listening to Wynton Marsalis on my Vali right now and the sound is glorious.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #20 of 44
I'll bet what they mean is that the slightly warmer, smoother tone of the tube amps might compliment the natural sound signature of the HD650. Of course, that's probably also personal preference.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #21 of 44
I did get a reply back, this is what was said:

"They are both tube amps. Valhalla 2 sounds better than Vali with the HD650."

Interesting, I was kind of leaning that way (Valhalla 2) buy aren't crazy about switching out tubes. Maintenance part is probably a snap, longevity is my real concern.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #22 of 44
My HD650s seem to like the smoothness I get from my Valhalla 2 and Vali. I'm listening to Wynton Marsalis on my Vali right now and the sound is glorious.

How's the bass response between the two, and what would you say are the biggest differences between them?

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #23 of 44

Interesting, I was kind of leaning that way (Valhalla 2) buy aren't crazy about switching out tubes. Maintenance part is probably a snap, longevity is my real concern.

Why? As much as I prefer solid state, this isn't one of the reasons why. Chips and discrete ICs can also fail sooner than a tube's service life for a variety of reasons, and chances are you'd have to whip out a soldering iron to replace one. When a tube fails you can just pull it off with the right tool, then you put it on a tube tester to confirm. When you order new tubes you just make sure you get matched pairs if these are used in pairs on whatever amp you're using, so you're right about easy maintenance.

If you're referring to tube availability, I think you can use other tubes on it; and for the availability of tubes in general, well, let me put it this way: tubes never really went out of style, but compared to vinyl, I don't think anyone could have foreseen the sales of analog media and equipment in this century.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #24 of 44
How's the bass response between the two, and what would you say are the biggest differences between them?

I find bass response is a bit better on the Valhalla 2. The Valhalla will also provide significantly more power to your HD650s. 220mW on the Vali, vs 800mW on the Valhalla. The Valhalla has more headroom if you require it. Since I have the choice I use the Vali for Jazz, vocalists and some classical. I use the Valhalla for classic rock, blues and more intense classical organ concertos.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #25 of 44

The tubes in the Valhalla are rated for 3000-5000 hours typical, and a replacement set is offered on the Schiit website for $40.00. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy so I ordered a spare set when I bought my Valhalla. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #26 of 44
I find bass response is a bit better on the Valhalla 2. The Valhalla will also provide significantly more power to your HD650s. 220mW on the Vali, vs 800mW on the Valhalla. The Valhalla has more headroom if you require it. Since I have the choice I use the Vali for Jazz, vocalists and some classical. I use the Valhalla for classic rock, blues and more intense classical organ concertos.

Great, that's what I was looking for. Looks like it'll most likely be the Valhalla 2 at this point. Does these units have an on/off power switch? My unit currently doesn't, it's always on if plugged into the wall. I don't want to wear the tubes down if I'm not using it.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #27 of 44
The tubes in the Valhalla are rated for 3000-5000 hours typical, and a replacement set is offered on the Schiit website for $40.00. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy so I ordered a spare set when I bought my Valhalla. 

Sounds like a good idea, I might do the same.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #28 of 44
Great, that's what I was looking for. Looks like it'll most likely be the Valhalla 2 at this point. Does these units have an on/off power switch? My unit currently doesn't, it's always on if plugged into the wall. I don't want to wear the tubes down if I'm not using it.

The Valhalla 2 like all Schiit stuff has a switch on the back. 

Have you not been to the Schiit website??

http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #30 of 44
I have but just breezed through it as I'm at work. I'll have to get a better look when I get a chance.

Spend some time there and you will become an 'expert' like me. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back