Sennheiser HD650's looking for a new headphone amp
Feb 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #31 of 44
Uh oh I completely forgot to ask... How does the amp hook up to the sound card? Right now on my current amp I have a grados cable going into the main speaker outs of the sound card to the amp. I'm assuming it may not work the same way?

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #32 of 44
Uh oh I completely forgot to ask... How does the amp hook up to the sound card? Right now on my current amp I have a grados cable going into the main speaker outs of the sound card to the amp. I'm assuming it may not work the same way?

Oh dear!!  You don't have a DAC? You will never get the true performance of the Valhalla without a DAC. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #33 of 44
Oh dear!!  You don't have a DAC? You will never get the true performance of the Valhalla without a DAC. 

It may be built into the sound card, I'll have to check to make sure though. It's an auzentech prelude 7.1 but they have since gone out of business so it may be difficult to research.

Yes I believe so here is the link.

http://techgage.com/article/auzentech_x-fi_prelude/

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #34 of 44
The Schiit rep said I'd be able to run the amp thru the rca outs on my sound card. Are there any high quality rca cables that anyone would recommend using or are they basically all the same?
I'm only asking because the grados cable I'm using to connect my current amp to the sound card made a literal night and day difference in sound quality. It was like going from 128kb mp3 to FLAC from the basic interconnect cable I was using.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #35 of 44
Good grief, what the heck kind of cable were you using before you got the Grado cable? A coat hanger? :)

I have one of the Grado 1/4" - 1/8" adapter cables. It's just a cable. No magic unicorn hair or phoenix feathers that I can see...

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #36 of 44
Good grief, what the heck kind of cable were you using before you got the Grado cable? A coat hanger? :)

I have one of the Grado 1/4" - 1/8" adapter cables. It's just a cable. No magic unicorn hair or phoenix feathers that I can see...

Correction, the cable I have isn't a grados it's a cardas. The first cable was a cable from radio Shack (RIP), it cost about $3 if I remember right and right off the bat I knew something wasn't right, I had just spent roughly 1k on an amp and Headphones and it sounded absolutely horrible. Someone on headphone.com said I should look into a different cable and quite a few people recommended the cardas. Made a world of difference sonically. I had my doubts, but it delivered and made a huge difference.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #37 of 44
Yeah, I know what they mean....when I did a side by side comparison with both playing at the same time, I preferred the Valhalla with my 650's....but the difference wasn't THAT great, truth be told, greater head room of the Valhalla notwithstanding.
If you're playing off your computer, and don't have an external DAC, I'd go the Schiit stack route (Magni 2 & Modi2), rather than running a Valhalla 2 off your computer's sound card.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #38 of 44
Yeah, I know what they mean....when I did a side by side comparison with both playing at the same time, I preferred the Valhalla with my 650's....but the difference wasn't THAT great, truth be told, greater head room of the Valhalla notwithstanding.
If you're playing off your computer, and don't have an external DAC, I'd go the Schiit stack route (Magni 2 & Modi2), rather than running a Valhalla 2 off your computer's sound card.

I believe the sound card has an internal DAC, a KM AK4396VF high performance if that helps any. My sound card link is a few posts up if anyone can decipher if I really do need an external DAC but I don't believe so seeing as one is built in.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #39 of 44
Hello, I'm a newbie here.  After reading many posts I have purchased the HD650s. I am very happy with the sound but I know that my receiver's headphone amp is not ideal. Bass is not overly strong, So I was thinking of an amp; many people on this forum say the Schiit Valhalla 2 pairs very nicely with the HD650s.I haven't been able to hear it as no-one in Sydney (Aus.) stocks the amp and Melbourne is a little too far to drive in a day. If I purchase the amp, do I need a new DAC?

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #40 of 44
I have the Meier Corda Jazz, ($355) and Dragonfly. Sounds much better than the Valhalla. The Valhalla made the slightly laid back and darker 650's more so whereas the Corda Jazz being a quality SS brought them to life.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #42 of 44
I have the Meier Corda Jazz, ($355) and Dragonfly. Sounds much better than the Valhalla. The Valhalla made the slightly laid back and darker 650's more so whereas the Corda Jazz being a quality SS brought them to life.

Is that a dac/amp combination?

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #44 of 44
Here is Dr. Meier's website. The Corda Jazz is a wonderful sounding piece of equipment.                                                         http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back