Sennheiser HD650 Review
Apr 2, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #61 of 85
Wonderful review! One of the best I've read.
Bravo!
And Thanks.
Jim

~

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I've sort of personally made a decision about the "veil." I really only hear it when I switch directly from a bright can (the SA5K in particular) over to the Senn. The thing is, you just can't do that. The balance of the HD650 is TOTALLY different. It's merely providing you a different view of the treble regions. You have to step away from the presentation of the other headphone, and approach the 650 with new ears.

I noticed the same exact thing. If I go from the SA-5000 to the HD-650 I feel like I have lost alot of the shine and it seems boring in comparison. When I switch from the K-701 to the HD-650, I certainly get a different presentation and a little less lively sound but the Sennheiser sounds very good in comparison as it does with all of my other headphones. I think it just takes some time to get used to drastic changes.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #63 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
I noticed the same exact thing. If I go from the SA-5000 to the HD-650 I feel like I have lost alot of the shine and it seems boring in comparison. When I switch from the K-701 to the HD-650, I certainly get a different presentation and a little less lively sound but the Sennheiser sounds very good in comparison as it does with all of my other headphones. I think it just takes some time to get used to drastic changes.

Of all headphones I've done the A/B swapping with, none has offered a more dramatic change then the SA5K and the HD650. If you just sit with the HD650 for a while and let the sound "sink in" (which it REALLY does with the 650) it's an immensely pleasing experience.

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #64 of 85
Hehe, I just took out the foams from my HD580s and I love the new sound. They sound quite a bit clearer and aggressive. I put that foam inside the grey grills (made it a semi-closed can. That seems to have made the bass tad tighter and faster. I have a question though. The driver is now unprotected. How could I clean it if it gathers dust or do I put in a thinner cloth like the guy on the previous page suggested? I really don't want to do that because I love the new clarity. It's just perfect for me (not dark but not harsh either) and don't want to do anything to lessen it even a little bit.

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #65 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182
Hehe, I just took out the foams from my HD580s and I love the new sound. They sound quite a bit clearer and aggressive. I put that foam inside the grey grills (made it a semi-closed can. That seems to have made the bass tad tighter and faster. I have a question though. The driver is now unprotected. How could I clean it if it gathers dust or do I put in a thinner cloth like the guy on the previous page suggested? I really don't want to do that because I love the new clarity. It's just perfect for me (not dark but not harsh either) and don't want to do anything to lessen it even a little bit.

Eh, I've tried the difference with my HD650's and in reality, put them back and you won't notice THAT much of a difference. I actually prefer them with the foams on; not to mention that it keeps the drivers from being dirty.

Apr 3, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #66 of 85
Hmm, they are definitely quite a bit more clear and aggressive than with the foams on. I really do love this sound. But I might just put em back to keep the drivers from getting dirty.

Apr 3, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #67 of 85
although I just sold my 650's (my SM3 doesnt do them justice), you can't say you dont like the HD650 until you've heard it balanced on the SDS-XLR
evil_smiley.gif

great review by the way! very informative, and tangible for such hard things to describe as the subtlties of headphones....

Apr 3, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #68 of 85
Excellent review!
smily_headphones1.gif

It's spot on in describing the HD650
580smile.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #69 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182
Hmm, they are definitely quite a bit more clear and aggressive than with the foams on. I really do love this sound. But I might just put em back to keep the drivers from getting dirty.

Try cutting out a piece of black pantyhose. It will protect the driver while allowing the sound to come through. The best procedure was to rough cut the pantyhose, stretching it to fit over the driver while re-installing the earpads. Then tug gently on the edges while trimming with scissors.
The hose will then snap back under the earpad. It may take more than one
time to get it right. I didn't like this sound and put the foam back in.
Woodies give me the sound I was looking for from the 650's.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner
It's spot on in describing the HD650
580smile.gif

Hmmm... no.
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #71 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm
Try cutting out a piece of black pantyhose. It will protect the driver while allowing the sound to come through. The best procedure was to rough cut the pantyhose, stretching it to fit over the driver while re-installing the earpads. Then tug gently on the edges while trimming with scissors.
The hose will then snap back under the earpad. It may take more than one
time to get it right. I didn't like this sound and put the foam back in.
Woodies give me the sound I was looking for from the 650's.

I tried removing the foam inserts, and I didn't like the sound as much. It was more open sounding, but the full bodied sound was gone.

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill99hawk
I tried removing the foam inserts, and I didn't like the sound as much. It was more open sounding, but the full bodied sound was gone.

For all who want more "open" sound from the HD650, I think there is two ways:

- cables and proper (and expensive, from what some friends said to me) amplification
- selling the HD650 and buying the HD600, which brings out more balanced sound at the price of a slightly less defined presentation.

I have now the HD600 and I'm very satisfied of the balance of the sound in my setup.

bye
Andrew

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #73 of 85
i seriously doubt that the foam will keep the drivers from getting dirty. either way, dust or whatever will get into the headhones. if you're really worried about it, i guess the pantyhose method would work to keep some dust out. i prefer the hd650 with the foam on though. imo, it lost its smoothness without the foam in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back