Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #14,371 of 46,554
  Guys! I am into maybe 80 hours of burn-in on my HD650s and a remarkable increase in quality has happened. Am I imagining this? We're talking timbre and immediacy rather than soundstage... Gosh, these cans are beautiful. Why did I have to be 60 years old before these beauties arrived on my head? All right. That's a bit gushy. But it's true. IMHO.

+1 They really do open up very nicely
biggrin.gif

EDIT: If there's anywhere to gush bout the HD650 it's HERE
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #14,372 of 46,554
  Guys! I am into maybe 80 hours of burn-in on my HD650s and a remarkable increase in quality has happened. Am I imagining this? We're talking timbre and immediacy rather than soundstage... Gosh, these cans are beautiful. Why did I have to be 60 years old before these beauties arrived on my head? All right. That's a bit gushy. But it's true. IMHO.

cant believe i just snagged an old DT770 /600 ohms beyer for 100bucks..?!
and put a pair of alpha LAMBpads on it. 
omggg the sound out of this can is scintillating; this combo is crazy good.. i love it for classicals.
i am gushhing too i know...hehe

I felt this Dt770.600 is one of those milestone headfones in headfi too..
just like the hd650
Or u can earmark this can for your 65th birthday :p 

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #14,373 of 46,554
So I've notice on my Little Dot MK III that I listen at 10 o'clock or louder now. Compared to around 9 o'clock with my HD580s. It's not really a volume issue, I can just hear a lot more detail now and the MK III doesn't really bring that out well at the lower volume. Not sure if this is a short coming of the MK III being an entry tube amp or what?

I'd love to get a Woo WA6-SE but I don't know that I want to save up that long to buy one. So, I'm considering Schiit Lyr too. (Those are the main two because I'll probably end up with an Audeze one of these days too.)

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #14,374 of 46,554
the 650's have 300Ohm and it also depends on your gain settings of the tube amp.So i have set my gain on middle and also have to go 10 O´clock for satisfying amplification.I´ve also sent you a PM considering the Lyr vs.MKIII because this would be to fftopic as this thread is an appreciation thread:)

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #14,376 of 46,554

I agree with burn-in.  I hated mine at first but now she sings like no other... 
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #14,379 of 46,554
Just bought today the HD650s! Very happy with them and I find that the FiiO E10 powers them adequately. Also, if Sennheiser indicated that they should be used right out of a headphone exit on a standalone CD Player (for instance), I don't think that kind of device puts more that 150mW  @ 32 Ohms.
Very happy indeed!

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #14,382 of 46,554
Guys, I did something really stupid. :frowning2: I accidentally tore the wiring on the driver when I was taking it apart to clean out the right ear/re-adjust it. Is there any way to quickly fix this? Would I have to get a replacement driver? I figure I'll probably have to send it in to Sennheiser...

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #14,384 of 46,554
If you have someone with good soldering skills, and the wire is still attached to the driver i´d try and solder it back on.I think i read that the wire has a plastic or similar enclosure, so be sure to take that in mind when soldering.
Remember to fixate the driver before soldering, because of the magnet.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #14,385 of 46,554
That hair-thin wire is enamel coated and if you can find someone who can successfully solder it back, please let me know. I tried to repair a similar damage to one of my drivers years ago and was not successful (I've been soldering things for a very long time now and have made all the interconnects on my systems).

Each capsule is about $50 direct from Sennheiser (buy two, don't replace just one; it's like buying tires).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back