Jul 15, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #13,051 of 46,499
Quote:
If em ever brave enough i want to do a custom paint job on the 650's

came across my mind too 
size]
 --- a silver metallic HD650 !!

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #13,052 of 46,499
Quote:
Sorry to learn about those problems. I hope it all goes well for you. I lost a couple of outstanding internet pals in the last few years through similar health related issues.

Thanks, your kind words mean a lot.  Due to surgeries and chemo, I've been at home most of the last year.  Now that I might have more energy for awhile, I hope to get out amongst people and enjoy my hobbies and interests a bit more.  

If any of you see me at the San Francisco Show in August, do please say hello.  "Stoney" is short for my real last name. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #13,054 of 46,499
Quote:

What is your source?  I'm on a preorder list for the CEntrance HiFi-M8.  I love the CEntrance "house sound" so I have high hopes on this.  The only downfall is its only digital inputs.  iDevices, computers, and some other DAPs with the LX model.  It will be $699...

Laptop, USB connection. Is there a clear difference in sound quality between USB and some other connection?

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #13,055 of 46,499
Quote:

Have heard the Conductor (not SL) and it was a very good sound with my HD650s; not too treble-centric, very clear without being clinical, good sound stage and depth....I won't recommend outside of your list, but I decided for the sound signature I like (tube), to head in another direction and ended up saving about $1k in the process.

If you have other suggestions feel free to post. That's why I'm here. :) Do you know if certain DAC and Amp combos work better than others?

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #13,056 of 46,499
Tats a handsome face...:)

====================

Opppsss usb cables again....see my tagline.

======================

I just had 3hour session on the 650 fed by audiogd dac..n dv336se tube amp...
So entrancing. Midrange prices...of cos u can spend more scale more etc

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #13,057 of 46,499
Quote:
Laptop, USB connection. Is there a clear difference in sound quality between USB and some other connection?

If you need an analog input, the Hifi-M8 isn't going to be for you.  USB is great, if that's your main source...

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #13,058 of 46,499
I thought it was time to replace the pads (on/off use for past 7-8 years) but when I received the replacement set, they seemed even more "squished" than what they are supposed to replace. With the old pads on my ears just barely touch the inner foam, but with the new ones my ears are right up against the foams.

This is the part received:  "H50635 - Ear Cushions for HD545/565/580" - which I thought I read somewhere was the right part for the HD600/650 as well.

Has the thickness of the pads (design) changed over time, or do I just need to ask for an exchange?

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #13,059 of 46,499
Quote:
If you have other suggestions feel free to post. That's why I'm here. :) Do you know if certain DAC and Amp combos work better than others?

I like my newly acquired Audio-gd nfb-11.32 used as DAC and my newly acquired LD MKIV SE with Voshkod tubes.  I have a little headache issue with too much forward treble and have found that the tubes seem to taper them every so slightly for me.  The Audio-gd sounds very clear as well on its on and is not too "sparkly"...It kind of reminds me of a more clinical Burson Conductor.  The only gripe one might have with it is having to pull it open and update the firmware chip by hand in order to get the software to load correctly on your computer (if you use USB on PC as I do).  In my limited head fi experience, I have owned the Schiit Modi (good for price) and have owned the HiFiMan EF2A (gain issues but decent sound for price/DAC wasn't great in it).  I have also auditioned the Musical Fidelity HPA-1 and the Grado RA-1 battery powered.  I have owned ESW9As and HD650s and now just have the HD650 and my current AGD/LD setup.  I use some old Sennheiser iems when I travel.  Like I said, very limited, but I really like (am listening to David Gilmour as I type this) using the AGD as DAC with the LD amplifying for me.  My best recommendation is very cliche....Try things for yourself and see what sounds best.  Try companies that offer cheap/free auditions and make your mind up as you like.  I have done that and think I have found my musical nirvana.  I may update my HP cable just to get it more sturdy and a shorter length, but am still on the fence about that animal.  Hope my rambling helps in some way.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #13,060 of 46,499
Quote:
I thought it was time to replace the pads (on/off use for past 7-8 years) but when I received the replacement set, they seemed even more "squished" than what they are supposed to replace. With the old pads on my ears just barely touch the inner foam, but with the new ones my ears are right up against the foams.

This is the part received:  "H50635 - Ear Cushions for HD545/565/580" - which I thought I read somewhere was the right part for the HD600/650 as well.

Has the thickness of the pads (design) changed over time, or do I just need to ask for an exchange?

I think those are the right ones.  Here is my order SKU direct from Sennheiser's store.  The new pads look identical to on my phones except slightly less compressed on one side where my fat face must've pushed on them: 

Code:
 Product SKU: 050635 Product Name: US - Earpads with foam disk 1pair 050635 Qty Ordered: 1 Amount: $46.09

Possibly, your relatively old unit might have been different?  

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #13,061 of 46,499
Just received my HD650 in the mail and listening to them through the Aune T1 HP amp (stock 6922 EH soon to be upgraded with Mullard gold pin NOS 1972 (7308 mil version/E188CC).
Got 2 x HD580 ones  too:) One will get the classic mods and one will stay stock. Nice, all these options. Still awaiting the upgrades for my Grado SR80-s. After modding only the metal headband will be stock:)! Summer will be a lot hotter than before!

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #13,062 of 46,499
Ooo. Hello, The Smiths on the HD650. I love you.

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #13,063 of 46,499
Jul 17, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #13,064 of 46,499
Quote:
Quote:
Ooo. Hello, The Smiths on the HD650. I love you.

The Smiths..........I love you......
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

My brother recommended me to The Queen Is Dead, and have been enjoying it for the last 30 minutes. The album sounds a little harsh on the Paradox so the HD650 won out
size]

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #13,065 of 46,499
:beerchug:
My brother recommended me to The Queen Is Dead, and have been enjoying it for the last 30 minutes. The album sounds a little harsh on the Paradox so the HD650 won out
size]

Try Meat is Murder. How Soon is Now will blow your mind!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back