Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #13,021 of 46,548
Yeah, I love the extra kick the leather pads give also I got these Beyers because I was living in noisy area and they seal really well.
Will definitely think about getting Asgard 2, do I need a DAC to go with it or does it come with cable that it can be used with computer through audiocard? (Seems to be 2 RCA inputs)

You could just use a RCA to 3.5 mm cable. My sound card just so happens to have RCA out. You don't need a DAC to start out with, honestly, because you have a decent sound card, but the Asgard 2 pretty much "releases the kraken".

What genres specifically would the hd 650 would be good for? I'm currently leaning towards the hd 650 instead of the hd 600.

I find it enjoyable on every genre. The neutrality on the HD 600 made certain music a little lifeless to me....but everyone has different tastes. I personally think the edge the HD 650 have over the 600 is their bass response. Better extension, and a satisfyingly better punch.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #13,022 of 46,548
I find it enjoyable on every genre. The neutrality on the HD 600 made certain music a little lifeless to me....but everyone has different tastes. I personally think the edge the HD 650 have over the 600 is their bass response. Better extension, and a satisfyingly better punch.

+1

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #13,023 of 46,548
You could just use a RCA to 3.5 mm cable. My sound card just so happens to have RCA out. You don't need a DAC to start out with, honestly, because you have a decent sound card, but the Asgard 2 pretty much "releases the kraken".

Hey thanks for responding. How do you think it is for classical. Everyone seems to be recommending the hd 600 for classical, but I'm sensitive to highs which might be a problem. What do you think?

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #13,025 of 46,548
Quote:
Hey thanks for responding. How do you think it is for classical. Everyone seems to be recommending the hd 600 for classical, but I'm sensitive to highs which might be a problem. What do you think?

I'm the last one to be able to say anything for classical.  I don't listen to it...or if I do, it's because of a small, custom score for a game or movies 
redface.gif

I obviously tend to lean towards a warmer pair of headphones, and the HD 600 did get seemingly fatiguing to me at times.  Mids and highs aren't harsh by any means, but the HD 650s just show you what the true definition of smooth really is.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #13,026 of 46,548
I do prefer the HD600 some classical, especially strings. I prefer the HD650 for grand symphonies. I just don't dig how weighty the bass is on the HD650 w/ some strings. I actually prefer the HD650 for all genres; if I have the HD650 at the office (where I do most of my listening), I listen to a lot more of everything. When I have the HD600, I realize how much of a classical nut I am. 

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #13,030 of 46,548
Yeah I'm pretty conflicted on the issue. I think one of the deciding factor for me is comfort. I heard from some people that the hd 600 was more comfortable than the hd 650. Is this true???

I wouldn't say hd600 is more comfortable. They have the same ear pads and the headband is almost the same as on hd650.

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #13,031 of 46,548
Quote:
Yeah I'm pretty conflicted on the issue. I think one of the deciding factor for me is comfort. I heard from some people that the hd 600 was more comfortable than the hd 650. Is this true???

Why are you asking this again? We already answered your question, twice, on the previous page.

The build of the HD650 and HD600 are identical, therefore comfort is exactly the same on both. Whoever told you otherwise is wrong.

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #13,033 of 46,548
Quote:

The build of the HD650 and HD600 are identical, therefore comfort is exactly the same on both. Whoever told you otherwise was wrong.

Just curious. Have you owned the HD650 or compared them side by side? I have both and I would not say that the build is identical; I could easily imagine someone preferring one over the other. If nothing else, the top headpad is clearly different (maybe that has already been mentioned...)

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #13,034 of 46,548
I actually like the paint job on the HD600 more. You know, its much darker in person. It looks more black than blue.

But to each his own! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #13,035 of 46,548
Quote:

Just curious. Have you owned the HD650 or compared them side by side? I have both and I would not say that the build is identical; I could easily imagine someone preferring one over the other. If nothing else, the top headpad is clearly different (maybe that has already been mentioned...)

Ah, yes. My bad. The headband padding is shaped differently and I have heard the HD650's is very slightly more comfortable if for some reason you find the headband padding on the HD600 uncomfortable which I certainly do not.

I haven't compared them side-by-side but as far as I know they are identical in build (aside from the headband padding as you point out). If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

I doubt the headband padding difference is enough to say that the HD650 is hands down comfier than the HD600 and I stand by my post that they are essentially equivalent on comfort and that the question only needed to be asked once.

If someone else has information showing that the HD600 and HD650 are noticeably different when it comes to comfort then please speak up. Otherwise lets move on. They are both ridiculously comfy compared to most other cans and personally I don't think someone should choose one over the other based on comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back