Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #13,008 of 46,499
Quote:
Well glad to hear that, I heard the hd 650 was a comfortable s the hd 600. Is this true?

They're identical in build. Comfort and clamping force should be the same.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #13,009 of 46,499
i have an inexpensive darkvoice336se...with some nos tubes...
love the combo with the 650. 
( the Figaro is the "improved" version? )

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #13,010 of 46,499
Quote:
Well glad to hear that, I heard the hd 650 was a comfortable s the hd 600. Is this true?

Yes it is. Not surprising, as they share the same headband/housing design. Same with the HD580.

Superior comfort of the HD580 and HD650 was one of the primary reasons I sold off my AKG K701s. That, and the surprising lack of bass.

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #13,011 of 46,499
Hi all,

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's along with a Fiio E17 and I'm looking to upgrade the E17 to something of higher quality.

I'm pretty new to this and the amount of options out there along with trying to decipher what is good is overwhelming. I've been contacting a few retailers and the following are what they've suggested. What do you all think? Is finding a good DAC/Amp combo more art than science given that people have different tastes in music? If it helps, I like listening to jazz, pop rock, symphonies, musical theatre etc. I also like hearing the bass in a song as well as hearing the detail of various instruments.

Option 1:
Centrance DACMini and the Lehmann Rinelander. Yes the DACMini has the DAC/Amp in one but the suggestion is to use the Rinelander as a pure amp.

Option 2:
Burson Conductor SL or get the Burson Soloist SL and combine it with the Schiit Audio Modi

Option 3:
Matrix Audio M-Stage HPA-1 DAC/Amp or the M-Stage Amp only and the M-Stage DAC only units.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #13,012 of 46,499
Quote:
Hi all,

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's along with a Fiio E17 and I'm looking to upgrade the E17 to something of higher quality.

I'm pretty new to this and the amount of options out there along with trying to decipher what is good is overwhelming. I've been contacting a few retailers and the following are what they've suggested. What do you all think? Is finding a good DAC/Amp combo more art than science given that people have different tastes in music? If it helps, I like listening to jazz, pop rock, symphonies, musical theatre etc. I also like hearing the bass in a song as well as hearing the detail of various instruments.

Option 1:
Centrance DACMini and the Lehmann Rinelander. Yes the DACMini has the DAC/Amp in one but the suggestion is to use the Rinelander as a pure amp.

Option 2:
Burson Conductor SL or get the Burson Soloist SL and combine it with the Schiit Audio Modi

Option 3:
Matrix Audio M-Stage HPA-1 DAC/Amp or the M-Stage Amp only and the M-Stage DAC only units.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I haven't heard option 1 (although I have heard the DACMini by itself) or 3, but I have heard option 2 and that is a great choice. The Modi is a brilliant and very affordable DAC and the Soloist pairs really well with the HD 650 and 800. 

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #13,014 of 46,499
Quote:
I actually have leather (or pleather) pads on my LEs.  The velours are more comfy, but the difference in sound was worth it

Can you please describe the sound differences?  My first thought was that perhaps the bass is better due to a better seal, but maybe not.  Also, the harder material might reflect some highs and change the balance?  

To all the questions people are asking: Keep in mind, the answers vary depending on associated equipment, cable upgrade, manufacture date (recent years = better!), and source files.  These are neutral enough that you can tilt them in most any direction you want.... except "bad sounding."

This also applies to fit.  I found them slightly firm at first.  On both my units, I slid them out to full size, and then bent the metal a little at a time until the grip force felt perfect.  Of course, you have to slide them back to the right size before testing.  Go slow, don't overdo... although I bet that is reversible by the same method.  One reason that I keep the grip gentle is to avoid mashing down the ear pads which makes the sound warmer and boomier as the foam breaks down and flattens over the months.  

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #13,015 of 46,499
I use dacmini as a dac to my burson soloist....i think the dac section of dacmini is wonderful. Ive never compared to any other desktop dac before...but if i compare to my clas db/fostex hpp1/dacport lx....dacmini mini is surely a clear winner.

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #13,016 of 46,499
Quote:
Hi all,

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

What is your source?  I'm on a preorder list for the CEntrance HiFi-M8.  I love the CEntrance "house sound" so I have high hopes on this.  The only downfall is its only digital inputs.  iDevices, computers, and some other DAPs with the LX model.  It will be $699...

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #13,017 of 46,499
Quote:
Hi all,

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Have heard the Conductor (not SL) and it was a very good sound with my HD650s; not too treble-centric, very clear without being clinical, good sound stage and depth....I won't recommend outside of your list, but I decided for the sound signature I like (tube), to head in another direction and ended up saving about $1k in the process.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #13,018 of 46,499
I'm getting excited.  Brian at BTG informed me my cable set has shipped.  I should have it early next week.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back