Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #12,526 of 46,499
While I would agree that these do undergo a nice "break-in" change, I wouldn't rely on it to make them magically transform into your favorite cans. I really liked them at hour one and then I was pleasantly pleased with the changed after 150 hours or so. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #12,527 of 46,499
Quote:
Less than 20 hours on the cans, amp is new, stock tubes/rectifier, about 100 hours on those. I've demoed plenty of closed and open cans and prefer open.

Just as I imagined, I defiantly know what the problem is now.  If I had to use the WA6 stock I would sell it.  The stock Shu Guang is thin and a bit harsh.  The 6DE7 are just okay.  Also factoring in pre-break-in on the cans, yes your experience is exactly what I went through.  Not to worry, with a little bit of cash and some patience you will have a completely different setup from what you are hearing if you decide to take a leap and keep your setup, with some slight modifications of course. 

First off, the stock rectifier is garbage.  Opt for a UE596, Sophia Electric 274b, Mullard GZ34 or even a vintage NOS 274b like the Sylvania or RCA (1940-1950ish).  For around $60 it would be a good upgrade.  Obviously the first three mentioned are better but if your on a budget the last should suffice.  Also, opt for new driver tubes, I went with 6SN7 because they sounded full and offered very punchy bass which I like. Again, NOS sylvania are a great bang for your buck at around maybe $60-$80 with adapters. Some people like 6GL7, there are a number of driver tubes to choose from.

Give the new tubes time to break in, as well as the HD650.  I have slight adjustments on the EQ which dialed everything in, this will help you achieve that sweet spot.  Also, make sure your source is top notch and everything is configured correctly (clipping, bit rate etc).

It's going to take some work but it will take your listening to a whole new level.  I consider myself a bit of a basshead and I would never part with my HD650 or my beloved Woo.

Good luck!

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #12,528 of 46,499
^^ This is good advice. 
size]

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #12,529 of 46,499
Quote:

Just as I imagined, I defiantly know what the problem is now.  If I had to use the WA6 stock I would sell it.  The stock Shu Guang is thin and a bit harsh.  The 6DE7 are just okay.  Also factoring in pre-break-in on the cans, yes your experience is exactly what I went through.  Not to worry, with a little bit of cash and some patience you will have a completely different setup from what you are hearing if you decide to take a leap and keep your setup, with some slight modifications of course. 

First off, the stock rectifier is garbage.  Opt for a UE596, Sophia Electric 274b, Mullard GZ34 or even a vintage NOS 274b like the Sylvania or RCA (1940-1950ish).  For around $60 it would be a good upgrade.  Obviously the first three mentioned are better but if your on a budget the last should suffice.  Also, opt for new driver tubes, I went with 6SN7 because they sounded full and offered very punchy bass which I like. Again, NOS sylvania are a great bang for your buck at around maybe $60-$80 with adapters. Some people like 6GL7, there are a number of driver tubes to choose from.

Give the new tubes time to break in, as well as the HD650.  I have slight adjustments on the EQ which dialed everything in, this will help you achieve that sweet spot.  Also, make sure your source is top notch and everything is configured correctly (clipping, bit rate etc).

It's going to take some work but it will take your listening to a whole new level.  I consider myself a bit of a basshead and I would never part with my HD650 or my beloved Woo.

Good luck!

I understand the stock WA6 tubes aren't supposed to be that great, but I had the opportunity to buy the unit less than 2 weeks used for a good price so I took the stock tubes. I also wanted to see how much I enjoyed the stock configuration before blowing a couple hundred on new tubes. 

Listening to the new Sigur Ros record right now and I'm really loving the sound, so we'll see. I appreciate your advice a lot.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #12,530 of 46,499
listening to the new stephen wilson album - the raven refused to sing through WA2/HD650. a spectacular combination. some people say it's too dark but i think its perfect with rock. 

i wonder what the album will sound like next week when i get the T1's? going from dark to bright should be interesting!

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #12,532 of 46,499
Jun 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #12,533 of 46,499
Hi,
I've been looking for HD650 sellers in European Union that could ship to Lithuania. Found Dolphin Audio selling them for a nice price but unfortunately they couldn't get them for me. So could you recommend some e-shops that sell these headphones for under ~380Eur shipped or that are known for great prices? Thanks a bunch.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #12,534 of 46,499
Quote:
Hi,
I've been looking for HD650 sellers in European Union that could ship to Lithuania. Found Dolphin Audio selling them for a nice price but unfortunately they couldn't get them for me. So could you recommend some e-shops that sell these headphones for under ~380Eur shipped or that are known for great prices? Thanks a bunch.

Razordog deals... usually you can get a very very solid price from him. Email him for a price quote and let him know you're a head-fier. He gives fair discounts to members of Head-Fi.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #12,535 of 46,499
Isn't Razordog USA?
Anyway, I decided to buy a used unit.
thanks

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #12,536 of 46,499
Quote:
listening to the new stephen wilson album - the raven refused to sing through WA2/HD650. a spectacular combination. some people say it's too dark but i think its perfect with rock. 

+1, Awesome album! 
size]

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #12,537 of 46,499
Quote:
I'm undecided between the HD650s and Grado SR325is, but this discussion might have pushed me to the former. Heard the mids and highs are more precise with Sennheiser but Grado has a warmer bass, which suits my music tastes. I'm a bit of a newbie but want to step up from my  Sennheiser HD 558s. Will be worth shelling out as a decent cans will last decades (or, so I hope).

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I don't know, have you compared the FR? It does not tell the whole story but i think it will give you an idea how the balance of each sounds in comparison to each other.

graphCompare.php

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #12,540 of 46,499
I finally got a chance to try 650s again after quite a while of not owning them, it's quite refreshing to hear them once more with better source gear, reminds me of the 650s scalability. I still have to say that I prefer the LCD2s, I think the overall more resolving sound and detail and transparency makes the LCD2S the winner in my eyes(or ears), and not to mention the treble that actually extends upwards smoothly, and never harsh :)
quite a good experience listening to them again though~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back