Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #12,511 of 46,499
Quote:
Quote:
Just wanted to announce that I'm now part of the HD650 club = D.  Came here from a pair of DT880 600 ohms, but am loving the smoothness of the 650s.

Welcome aboard.  I recently tried going the other way... I've had the HD650 for a while and picked up a DT880 600 Ohm to give it a shot.  I remain a member of the HD650 club.  The DT880 600Ohm is alright (I've been using both a Bottlehead Crack and a Burson Soloist to drive it)... while it's certainly more neutral than the HD650 (something I'm seeking out because of how much I love the UERM), its sound is just a bit too trebly overall and can also be a bit fatiguing to me.  There are certainly some things I prefer the sound of the DT880 more... like Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream" or The Mars Volta's "Frances The Mute"... stuff that's more active and less laid back, I guess.  But overall, I still prefer the HD650.

Why do you think I have both the DT880 and HD650?
size]

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #12,512 of 46,499
Quote:
Welcome aboard.  I recently tried going the other way... I've had the HD650 for a while and picked up a DT880 600 Ohm to give it a shot.  I remain a member of the HD650 club.  The DT880 600Ohm is alright (I've been using both a Bottlehead Crack and a Burson Soloist to drive it)... while it's certainly more neutral than the HD650 (something I'm seeking out because of how much I love the UERM), its sound is just a bit too trebly overall and can also be a bit fatiguing to me.  There are certainly some things I prefer the sound of the DT880 more... like Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream" or The Mars Volta's "Frances The Mute"... stuff that's more active and less laid back, I guess.  But overall, I still prefer the HD650.

I went from HD650 to DT880 Pro, and haven't looked back. If you find the DT880 peak bothersome, use EQ or a tone control; it's dead easy. And once you've tamed that, the treble is simply of a better quality than the HD650: certainly more extended and detailed. Just my 2c, of course, and probably won't jibe with many in this thread (tar and feather him!).

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #12,513 of 46,499
Treble definition has always been the HD650s weakest attribute.  The quantity of treble is correct to my ears though.

To reduce the graining effect of the HD650 treble, slightly smearing treble transients with a tube amp works like magic.

Never heard the DT880 but always curious as the frequency response curve matches with the HD650 very well, except for that tiny treble spike.

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #12,514 of 46,499
Quote:
Never heard the DT880 but always curious as the frequency response curve matches with the HD650 very well, except for that tiny treble spike.

It does, and there's a subjective correlation. When I first heard the DT880 years ago, though I was taken aback by the treble spike, I was very impressed by its basic neutrality, its sheer lack of colouration (apart from the spike, of course). I tried turning the treble down and noted how closed it sounded to the HD650, which I owned at the time. A few years later I was intrigued to see from the Headroom graphs that the two FRs were very similar apart from the spike; it correlated exactly with my subjective impressions. Personally I believe these two phones are amongst the most neutral and satisfying (for those who appreciate neutrality) on the market, with little to choose between them other than personal preference and price. Since the 880 can sometimes be had for as little as half the price of the 650, and is somewhat more comfortable, surely it represents a bargain. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #12,515 of 46,499
Dt880 sounds further away than 650....
N cooler. Its fine with orchestra music but vocals aint as engaging.

Hd650 with silver n tubes shaped the highs nicely for my ears...
Honeyed highs. :p
:D

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #12,516 of 46,499
Quote:
biggrin.gif
The spaciousness and detail of the HD800s is leagues apart from the 650s. A great complimentary pair. Sorry about your wallet. My wallet wasn't big enough to keep both. The musical presentation of the 650s got most of the headtime so I kept them, but the HD800s are quite a thrill.

Yeah, they really are wonderful... and I'm just listening to them out of the Valhalla with stock tubes. I feel like they are driving them pretty well, though? I mean I have nothing to compare the Valhalla to but I can certainly tell these are a step up in class from the 650's. I love the separation and soundstage, makes me feel like I would be disappointed with the LCD2's if I decided to go that route. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #12,517 of 46,499
I recently upgraded to an HD650 from D2000s. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about them. They sound pleasant, but lack the punchy-ness and dynamics of my D2000s. They have good clarity and separation, but lack the soundstage and sparkle of the K701s which I exchanged for them (as many I'm sure feel, the K701s didn't have enough bass for me, fatiguing treble). I've always heard about the 650s having "rolled off" treble but I never thought it would notice it as much as I do.

I have 3 more weeks before I have to return them, so I am going to demo more music and see if my experience improves. Does anyone know what might be a good middle ground between the K701 and the HD650? Maybe RS2i?

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #12,518 of 46,499
Quote:
I recently upgraded to an HD650 from D2000s. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about them. They sound pleasant, but lack the punchy-ness and dynamics of my D2000s. They have good clarity and separation, but lack the soundstage and sparkle of the K701s which I exchanged for them (as many I'm sure feel, the K701s didn't have enough bass for me, fatiguing treble). I've always heard about the 650s having "rolled off" treble but I never thought it would notice it as much as I do.

I have 3 more weeks before I have to return them, so I am going to demo more music and see if my experience improves. Does anyone know what might be a good middle ground between the K701 and the HD650? Maybe RS2i?

What amp/DAC are you using to drive them? did you get them brand new? They can take some time to open up... as well, they really excel @ smooth jazz and female vocals IMO. Running them balanced takes the soundstage to a whole new level.

To me, the K702 Anniversary Editions are a good middle ground.  I don't find them too fatiguing in the trebles and they are warmer with better bass than the Q701 IMO... although again, the general concensus seems that the K70x series need at least 100+ hours to smooth out the trebles.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #12,519 of 46,499
Definitely no on the RS2i, it is a completely different beast that I would rank above the HD650 and maybe slightly above the K701 (I think very highly of the K701). But like all the Grados Ive tried it is uncomfortable (its very light weight so its better than plastic models but still bad). The sound sig is also a bad fit to be considered a middle ground for those two headphones. I think a sound sig that is closer to being a middle ground is the A.T. AD2000 which I also rank above the K701 and HD650. But they are also lean in the bass, not for me a human but for you freaks the bassheads
biggrin.gif
. Ive READ that the lower end models in the AD range and the newer X models have slightly more bass.
Quote:

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #12,521 of 46,499
Quote:
Definitely no on the RS2i, it is a completely different beast that I would rank above the HD650 and maybe slightly above the K701 (I think very highly of the K701). But like all the Grados Ive tried it is uncomfortable (its very light weight so its better than plastic models but still bad). The sound sig is also a bad fit to be considered a middle ground for those two headphones. I think a sound sig that is closer to being a middle ground is the A.T. AD2000 which I also rank above the K701 and HD650. But they are also lean in the bass, not for me a human but for you freaks the bassheads
biggrin.gif
. Ive READ that the lower end models in the AD range and the newer X models have slightly more bass.

I guess middle ground was a bad phrase to use--I just mean something which is has the best qualities of both all while being a bit more "fun". The Grado sound has always appealed to me, but I've only been able to demo the lower end models (I've heard the SR60i and the SR225i). Having great soundstage and detail is important to me, which is why I had originally purchased the K701s. I also don't think my amp would be a great fit for low impedance cans, but I can always exchange it I suppose.

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #12,522 of 46,499
Quote:
WA6, Modi DAC. Brand new, yes.

I have the same setup almost.  I am using a WA6 with a VDAC II.  My HD650 sound amazing after break-in and many countless hours of rolling tubes.  What driver and rectifier are you using???  How many hours are on the HP?

Gotta remember the whole closed back versus open back thing.  With that being said I don't feel the need to move to closed back because I am very satisfied with what the HD650 are doing.  My music tastes are hip hop, rap, rock and metal.

Also, is the amp new?  How many hours do you have on your tubes?

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #12,523 of 46,499
Take all of those 3 weeks and report back after. I don't know if this is burn-in or just time to get used to the sound, but it took me quite of lot of hours before really understanding what those cans are all about.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #12,524 of 46,499
Quote:

I have the same setup almost.  I am using a WA6 with a VDAC II.  My HD650 sound amazing after break-in and many countless hours of rolling tubes.  What driver and rectifier are you using???  How many hours are on the HP?

Gotta remember the whole closed back versus open back thing.  With that being said I don't feel the need to move to closed back because I am very satisfied with what the HD650 are doing.  My music tastes are hip hop, rap, rock and metal.

Also, is the amp new?  How many hours do you have on your tubes?

Less than 20 hours on the cans, amp is new, stock tubes/rectifier, about 100 hours on those. I've demoed plenty of closed and open cans and prefer open.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #12,525 of 46,499
Yea... 20 hours isn't quite enough if they're new IMHO. They're like a girlfriend, give them time (and expensive stuff to match)... and they will reward you
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Yes... Matt is right though... the changes are not huge, but for some it might be enough to add that "ohhhh niceeeee" factor. I know it did for me
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back