Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #12,332 of 46,513
I would say a creak is more of an apt description. Tried to get a replacement for that small plastic piece but Sennheiser don't appear to sell them, considering using a 3D printer to make my own.

May 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #12,333 of 46,513
I actually used to have that problem, but it seems to have gone away by itself over time. I can't hear it at all anymore.

May 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #12,334 of 46,513
Same with me. I get it very occasionally if im lying down and the headband comes into contact with the bed as well as my head. I then just adjust the position on my head.

May 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #12,335 of 46,513
I find my new HD 650 quite musical and enjoyable from a Marantz PM7004. The sound is nice and full. The only issue I have is that on some songs, the vocals sound a bit grainy (but on other songs, the vocals are perfect). This doesn't occur when playing back from PM7004 to B&W 685 speakers.

I am now researching a desktop amplifier and making my way through the last couple of hundred posts. In particular I'm considering Burson HD-160DS and Soloist SL. Any thoughts on which amp might be a better pairing? Would either one reduce the grainy vocals? Thanks

May 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #12,336 of 46,513
I have a couple of receivers that don't sound quite right with hp's but sound great with speakers. It's just the nature of how the receiver is designed. I also have a vintage receiver that sounds wonderful with hp's, especially the hd650. Either of the Burson would sound very good with the hd650. 

What are you using for dac?

May 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #12,337 of 46,513
Thanks. I'm guessing the receivers I have don't work great with the HD 650. That's why I'm keen to try a standalone headphone amp to see if it makes a difference. Leaning towards a SS amp to start with, hence the Bursons.

The fact that some of my music sounds so good/musical whilst other songs sound have grainy/harsh vocals makes me think it may be subpar recordings. But would still like to dampen the grain/harshness a little if possible.

Currently using the MBP line out. Also looking for DAC but will decide after choosing an amp since some of the amps have one built in like the 160DS. Thinking of the usual ODAC/Modi/HRT MS II+. Strange thing is, I find using the MBP line out with the speaker setup, it sounds perfect - wouldn't want to change a thing with regards to the sound with that part of the setup. So I have low expectations for any change that I may get with an external DAC.

May 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #12,338 of 46,513
I use my HD650 with a Soloist and HRT MS II+ and I'm happy with the combo.  If you end up looking for a DAC and those are your options, I can say that the MS II+ is noticeably better than the MS II or ODAC (which are both very close to each other).  I haven't heard it, but would figure the Modi to be in the same class as the latter two.

May 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #12,339 of 46,513
If you go that far.... might as well go for the Conductor.  It powers everything I have superlatively, and has taken all graininess out of my HD600 --- makes it sound like a higher end phone.  I'm sure it would do at least the same for the 650.  

May 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #12,340 of 46,513
for some, an aftermarket cable like cardas, works wonders to take off some grains.

when i had the standard burson d160, i didnt find it to pair well with the 650..on my setup. 
the grainy beefiness of the amp, and the sonorous 650 just sounded too thick n overwhelming for my taste. :p
( used Nuforce HD as dac then.. )

May 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #12,341 of 46,513
Quote:
Thanks. I'm guessing the receivers I have don't work great with the HD 650. That's why I'm keen to try a standalone headphone amp to see if it makes a difference. Leaning towards a SS amp to start with, hence the Bursons.

(...)

I also can tell you that the Soloist sounds very good with the HD650.  And it has got a perfectly silent background, that's what I like most with it.  I've never tried the Soloist SL though, since it has been released after me buying the Soloist.

Anyway, both are powerful enough to allow you to choose (almost) whatever headphones you'd like afterwards :)

May 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #12,342 of 46,513
Thanks all for the input. I must confess I made an error on my part - I had set the MBP line out volume to maximum when sending it to the integrated amplifier/headphones. I think this lead to the harshness I was hearing with the vocals on certain tracks - in fact it must have been clipping. I never noticed this before with my previous HD 555 or when using speakers but I'm guessing that the Marantz/HD 650 combo leads to raised mids and it was the mids that was clipping. I've found that setting the MBP output to low (3 clicks up from minimum) and adjusting the amplifier volume up removes this harshness/clipping. So it was my mistake. The HD 650 is now smoother than before, it's quite nice and musical.

I'm thinking the MBP line out must not be as good as I think, and probably should look for a DAC.

Quote:
I use my HD650 with a Soloist and HRT MS II+ and I'm happy with the combo.  If you end up looking for a DAC and those are your options, I can say that the MS II+ is noticeably better than the MS II or ODAC (which are both very close to each other).  I haven't heard it, but would figure the Modi to be in the same class as the latter two.

Thanks, will keep the MS II+ in the shortlist for DAC.

Quote:
If you go that far.... might as well go for the Conductor.  It powers everything I have superlatively, and has taken all graininess out of my HD600 --- makes it sound like a higher end phone.  I'm sure it would do at least the same for the 650.  

The all in one unit approach is attractive, but I'm not wanting a stepped attenuator though, with so many reports of clicks/pops, requiring constant cleaning.

Quote:
when i had the standard burson d160, i didnt find it to pair well with the 650..on my setup. 
the grainy beefiness of the amp, and the sonorous 650 just sounded too thick n overwhelming for my taste. :p
( used Nuforce HD as dac then.. )

Thanks, seems like the consensus is that the Soloist SL may a better match for the HD 650.

Quote:

I also can tell you that the Soloist sounds very good with the HD650.  And it has got a perfectly silent background, that's what I like most with it.  I've never tried the Soloist SL though, since it has been released after me buying the Soloist.

Anyway, both are powerful enough to allow you to choose (almost) whatever headphones you'd like afterwards :)

I think Soloist SL has to be at the top of my list currently.

May 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #12,343 of 46,513
May 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #12,345 of 46,513
What is the tubes that you guys recommend for the Lyr that work best for the HD650's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back