Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #12,226 of 46,506
Quote:

Yes, most if not all of the so called "burn in" is just the brain adapting. It's designed to do so by nature  :)

Few things sounds really good if you have no reference to it, if you have totally screwed references you may even hate the absolute natural sound ...

thats interesting about the burn in. My friend recently got a pair of KEFF R500 speakers and after about the 15 - 20 hours burn in period there was a heck of a lot more low end that just wasn't there before. i mean an awful lot more and it was louder as well. If it is your brain adjusting then its doing an incredible amount of adjusting. the same thing happened with my wa2 -- after 30 hours the low end came in. 

May 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #12,229 of 46,506
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting conversation....Too bad I can't have everyone over for a mini meet 
biggrin.gif

Here are the HD650's and HD800's both connected to my Decware Taboo MK III.

I have had the HD650's for a long time. I will likely never sell them  They have their own particular magic. However, the bass depth and quality from the HD800's is superior and it is not close. I have a lot of respect for David Mahler and his extraordinary collection. Perhaps he and I simply hear things differently. Nothing unusual about that.

If you have not spent significant time with both, I would recommend that you find an opportunity to do so. You will enjoy the discovery and you can discuss the differences with your own first hand knowledge and experience.

beerchug.gif

You make a good point. And I accept your invitation to come over to hear the hd800 at it's best. 
size]

I'll whip up the Kool-aid and cookies...
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #12,230 of 46,506
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting conversation....Too bad I can't have everyone over for a mini meet 
biggrin.gif

Here are the HD650's and HD800's both connected to my Decware Taboo MK III.

I have had the HD650's for a long time. I will likely never sell them  They have their own particular magic. However, the bass depth and quality from the HD800's is superior and it is not close. I have a lot of respect for David Mahler and his extraordinary collection. Perhaps he and I simply hear things differently. Nothing unusual about that.

If you have not spent significant time with both, I would recommend that you find an opportunity to do so. You will enjoy the discovery and you can discuss the differences with your own first hand knowledge and experience.

beerchug.gif

I don't question Dave's findings. His impressions are just being distorted to "support" an assumption.

True enough...People need to do what they can to form their own opinions before building the castle on sand.....

May 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #12,231 of 46,506
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/12.html

This reviewer seemed to enjoy the HD 800's on the Lyr. Also seems to be a reputable source.
wink.gif

Recently at a meet, tried the HD 800 with the Lyr/Bifrost feeding Lossless out of a macbook. I was quite pleased
biggrin.gif
... and yes generally I would say the HD 800 is a big improvement over the HD 650 in nearly all regards except for the "midbass" emphasis which can be annoying for some genres
confused_face(1).gif
, but sooooooo smooth and musical and pleasing for others
popcorn.gif

Sadly, I believe that I won't be dropping $$$ on HD 800s no matter how much I would love a pair... cause I feel I'd have to go balanced to really be making it worthwhile to jump up to the 4 figure pricing range (especially since I recently heard what an HD 600 can do when running balanced, and teh HD800 should only scale even higher)... and that opens my wallet to a whole new world of hurt.
eek.gif

May 12, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #12,233 of 46,506
Interesting about burn in. I too heard substantially less veil(and I find this term misleading anyway as it tends to intimate a deficiency)after a certain amount of burn in. Not all of the burn in was listening, so only some it seems to me can be attributed to the brain. However, yesterday i had occasion to listen through the headphone socket of a mid-budget CD player, unamped. I was expecting it to sound nasty, but was very pleasantly surprised at the balance. It retained its liquidness (my new favourite word for its presentation!)and seemed somehow a tad brighter - maybe similar to what people try to achieve when removing the foam...
To be honest it scared me slightly thinking about the cost of my rig that I could be satisfied so quickly!!
Perhaps a trip to the audiologist is in order...:S

May 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #12,234 of 46,506
May 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #12,237 of 46,506
May 12, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #12,239 of 46,506
May 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #12,240 of 46,506
Quote:

Not to split hairs, but isn't that technically impossible? Seeing as how a Eunick wouldn't have his working man bits?

havent u noticed a few states have approved HAPPY marriages?  
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back