Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #12,211 of 46,535
Quote:
I compared the HD650 and the LCD2 side by side at a meet recently. Is the LCD2 a more refined headphone than the HD650? Yes. Is the difference worth the extra $500? You be the judge. (For me, it isn't).

Now the HD650 vs the HD800? Definitely a more noticeable improvement. I'd love to get my hands on a pair of HD8's 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The HD 800's scale majorly in sq the better your source and amp...with the right equipment I'd go so far as to say it's not just a noticeable improvement, but night and day.

May 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #12,212 of 46,535
Quote:
Quote:
Because I own and appreciate the HD650. Why are you commenting on gear you've not heard?

Care to point out where people have stated the HD800 has less bass than the HD650?

I just quoted. MattTCG was satisfied with the hd650. The bass was just right for him. And the hd800 left him yearning for more. Well, you said i was wrong as I didn't audition it yet and I accept that it is possibly true. But it seems that others agree with me. The HD800 may extend deeper but it certainly dont have the same impact as the hd650. Why? David Mahler said the hd800 has less bass than hd700. And the hd700 has less bass than the hd650. Thus the hd650 has more bass than the hd800.

I'm pretty darn sure David Mahler had sufficient gear to prevent a bottleneck. Go read his battle of flagships. So I tried the 700 and 650 and i can infer the hd800 has less bass than both . And backed by people like David. I doubt the hd800 is a basshead can. Basshead cans means big bass, hearing every nuance in the bass is another thing bee.

Yes, because David Mahler is always right(no offense to David, but in this hobby, nobody is right) olor1n could think that the HD800 has more bass, and no one would care. Its HIS opinion, myap. 

May 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #12,213 of 46,535
Quote:
What's up guys. I'm trying to decide between this can and the HE400's, and I'm leaning towards the HE400's because they are easier to drive. 

That being said though, is there any way that the HD650's can sound good on a portable amp? I don't have much room on my desk, and the only thing i can really manage to stick onto my cpu is the DragonFly

Yea. Honestly, the HD-650 isn't so terrible with weaker amps. I had previously thought otherwise, and I distinctly remember chewing someone out for driving their HD-650 with a portable amp, which now I'm regretful for, but you can definitely still enjoy the HD-650 with a portable amp. It's definitely not ideal, but, it's doable. 

May 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #12,214 of 46,535
Yes, because David Mahler is always right(no offense to David, but in this hobby, nobody is right) olor1n could think that the HD800 has more bass, and no one would care. Its HIS opinion, myap. 

Understandable, but I have just came across that statement so darn many times that among the Sennheiser line the hd800 is the less Bassy one. And olor1n said those guys were hearing less bass because their setup bottlenecks the headphone. I was just trying to say that David's gear definitely does bottleneck any headphone, but I very much do accept his statement as everyone hears things differently

May 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #12,215 of 46,535
No. I never disputed David's impressions. Or anyone else' preference for a certain signature. Just your misleading posts, attempting to pass off false assumptions by distorting what others have stated.

Not everyone can audition these headphones prior to purchase. Some rely on the experience of others to get a sense of whether something may be worth considering. Regurgitating myths, drawing absurd conclusions and passing it off as fact diminishes the value of this forum.

May 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #12,218 of 46,535
Quote:
What's up guys. I'm trying to decide between this can and the HE400's, and I'm leaning towards the HE400's because they are easier to drive. 

That being said though, is there any way that the HD650's can sound good on a portable amp? I don't have much room on my desk, and the only thing i can really manage to stick onto my cpu is the DragonFly

i had a dacportLX then, clean clear energetic black background,
its got enuf juice to power this hd650 to high volume.

May 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #12,219 of 46,535
Quote:
Bought mine yesterday. Joining the club.

I removed the foams covering the front of the drivers as per the advice of my uncle. The mod removed the much-talked about "veil" and improved the soundstage presentation.

i removed the foam at the BACK too on my last hd650...didnt like it. lost some degree of intimacy....edging towards a hd800....:p
oppps.... 
with so many divergent views on how a hd800 is supposed to sound like...on the diversed dacs amps cables...earwax..
let me stop here.

May 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #12,220 of 46,535
Quote:

The HD650's really aren't that hard to drive. You can get the cMoyBB and get a great pairing out of it. Choosing between the two really depends on what you want. One is laid back the other is not. Both have good bass but the 400's bass is deeper and faster. Both have a very good smooth sound but the 650's are going to be very chill making it very easy to listen to them for hours and hours with zero fatigue. Honestly, both are great so you can't go wrong but they are two very different cans so you just need to think about what you want before you get either one. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #12,221 of 46,535
Which one is laid back (the 650's I assume)? Because I would prefer a more fun and engaging can. And for reference purposes, if it's helpful at all, I like my A900X's more than my K550's

May 11, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #12,222 of 46,535
When I first got mine I thought they sounded veiled even when amped, but now they don't is it a burning in thing or my brain/ears adjusting, I honestly don't know but its not there anymore and I do listen to other headphones to and not used to one sound signature.

May 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #12,223 of 46,535
Quote:
So would you say that the hd650 has (in a vague term) more bass?

More upper bass maybe but overall no.

I have also read statements with regards the bass impact of the HD800's. IMO and in my system the HD800's have excellent impact, easily as much as the T1's. Impact comes from the leading edge of the note and the HD800's do transients extremely well.

When used balanced the HD650's also have pretty good impact considering it's a much slower phone and is nowhere near as good in the transient department.

May 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #12,224 of 46,535
Quote:
When I first got mine I thought they sounded veiled even when amped, but now they don't is it a burning in thing or my brain/ears adjusting, I honestly don't know but its not there anymore and I do listen to other headphones to and not used to one sound signature.

I've noticed when I get a new phone with a different SQ than what I'm used to, initially, the differences will stand out (say I'm used to DT880 as my normal, get new Mad Dogs --- The Mad Dogs sound terribly dark and missing highs).

After some extended BRAIN-burn-in with the new phone's SQ, I learn to quickly adapt to the difference.  In the above example, I get used to the darker SQ of the Mad Dogs .... I can now switch back and forth between the two and realize the DT880s are bright, and the Mad Dogs are darker, and appreciate each for its own presentation.

May 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #12,225 of 46,535
Quote:

I've noticed when I get a new phone with a different SQ than what I'm used to, initially, the differences will stand out (say I'm used to DT880 as my normal, get new Mad Dogs --- The Mad Dogs sound terribly dark and missing highs).

After some extended BRAIN-burn-in with the new phone's SQ, I learn to quickly adapt to the difference.  In the above example, I get used to the darker SQ of the Mad Dogs .... I can now switch back and forth between the two and realize the DT880s are bright, and the Mad Dogs are darker, and appreciate each for its own presentation.

Yes, most if not all of the so called "burn in" is just the brain adapting. It's designed to do so by nature  :)

Few things sounds really good if you have no reference to it, if you have totally screwed references you may even hate the absolute natural sound ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back