Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #12,181 of 46,554
Quote:
A downgrade.

ill soon enough have the wa2 maxed on tubes - ez80s , 5998s and 7308s - cant wait to have a go with the 650s. 

May 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #12,182 of 46,554
Quote:
I have own the hd800 twice, with midfi-ish setup...
The soundstage is huge, the bass is present, not exaggerated.
Superb separation, but overall definitely less involving than the hd650.

I might give it another go, when I snag a good tube amp.

It is best to speak from our own aural experience,
Otherwise this place can get more confusing than an already diversed state.
wink.gif

Seriously?????  I guess it's possible if it's under-amped.

May 10, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #12,183 of 46,554
Quote:
You're confused because you've not owned both headphones, let alone heard them side by side. You're making it sound like the HD800 is deficient in this regard, when in reality it's a strength. The HD800 presents the entire bass region more evenly and with better resolution than the HD650. The HD650's mid-bass is enjoyable. It's romantic and musical... but it's an illusion. The HD800 is not lighter in the bass region. It's a bass-head headphone, despite what this forum would have you believe.

+1

May 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #12,184 of 46,554
Quote:
It's a "bass-head" can in terms of quality. Most bass-heads go for quantity and will sacrifice nuance for presence. I prefer the HD800's bass to the much lauded LCD-2. I'm not alone in this regard either.

Well, I'm on the other side of the fence. The lcd-2 has quite possibly the best audiophile bass that I've ever heard...being both beautifully textured (able to produce bass instrumentation accurately) and offer smile inducing visceral impact unlike anything else. The hd800 was disappointing to me...auditioned with the lyr and vintage amp. 
Quote:
A downgrade.

The Maddog, current build, is not a downgrade IMO. If you enjoy the house sound of planar's, these would likely be considered an upgrade at less money. The hd650 and Maddog are my regular cans and I'd call the Maddogs somewhat better across the spectrum. 

May 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #12,186 of 46,554
Don't be so condescending, it's not flattering. 
size]
 The source was a bifrost using hd tracks. The hd800 didn't do it for me at all. And I'd suspect many of the others on this thread would say that same as the hd800 offers a very different presentation than the hd650 IMO. This is an hd650 appreciation thread btw. 
size]

May 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #12,187 of 46,554
No wonder you found the HD800 lacking. I owned the Bifrost for some time and it's a good dac for the likes of the HD650 and LCD-2. The Gungnir is significantly better in all aspects (especially in the low bass region) but even that was inadequate for the HD800 IMO. The Lyr with the HD800? Major bottleneck. I enjoyed it with Amperex Bugle Boys in place (not so much with Stuttgarts or OG's) but it was always evident the HD800's resolve was being hampered.

May 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #12,188 of 46,554
I did have the upgraded uber board in the bifrost which is an improvement but certainly not up to the level of the Gungnir. Truth is, I'll never be able to swing the money for flagships hp's and the necessary gear that goes along with them. Fortunately for me, I actually prefer the sound/presentation of the hd650 with amps like the lyr. Otherwise I'd just be sitting pining for something that was unobtainable. 

Honestly though, I appreciate the musical listen that comes from the hd650. While the hd800 was exponentially more resolving and had a better sound stage, I heard it as a bit too bright. I was also hoping for more from the bass. Maybe with the right amp and  dac the bass would have come to life. I know that the hd650 can sound very different on the right amp. I just enjoy the smooth wonderful musical reproduction offered by the hd650. Whenever I put them on, I listen to the music and not to the technical abilities of the hp. That's what it's all about for me. 

May 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #12,189 of 46,554
The HD800 is very source picky. Also, as much as I applaud Schiit for shaking up the industry, their gear is hardly the end-all-be-all as many seem to have been led to believe..

May 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #12,190 of 46,554
Quote:
You're confused because you've not owned both headphones, let alone heard them side by side. You're making it sound like the HD800 is deficient in this regard, when in reality it's a strength. The HD800 presents the entire bass region more evenly and with better resolution than the HD650. The HD650's mid-bass is enjoyable. It's romantic and musical... but it's an illusion. The HD800 is not lighter in the bass region. It's a bass-head headphone, despite what this forum would have you believe.

Never mind, Olor1n went on to say in quality.

May 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #12,192 of 46,554
It is if you appreciate bass that's distinct and nuanced. Not all bass-heads worship at the alter of Wub-Wub and Dof-Dof.

It seems that two people has already mentioned other than me that mentioned the hd800 has less bass. "Wished for more bass" "went on the say quality".
A basshead likes big bass. So if it has a flat response, extend to the ground, low impact, to the bassheads, garbage! So well, u r on hd650 territory, and many ppl prefer it to its more expensive sibling. If you like the hd800 more why are u even here!

May 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #12,194 of 46,554
Because I own and appreciate the HD650. Why are you commenting on gear you've not heard?

Care to point out where people have stated the HD800 has less bass than the HD650?

I just quoted. MattTCG was satisfied with the hd650. The bass was just right for him. And the hd800 left him yearning for more. Well, you said i was wrong as I didn't audition it yet and I accept that it is possibly true. But it seems that others agree with me. The HD800 may extend deeper but it certainly dont have the same impact as the hd650. Why? David Mahler said the hd800 has less bass than hd700. And the hd700 has less bass than the hd650. Thus the hd650 has more bass than the hd800.

I'm pretty darn sure David Mahler had sufficient gear to prevent a bottleneck. Go read his battle of flagships. So I tried the 700 and 650 and i can infer the hd800 has less bass than both . And backed by people like David. I doubt the hd800 is a basshead can. Basshead cans means big bass, hearing every nuance in the bass is another thing bee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back