Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #12,048 of 46,502
I use them in my transportable rig, which includes the M&M stack running from my laptop using JRiver. I purchased a Pelican 1450 case to carry it. It is pretty sweet setup that I take with me when I am on the road. 

May 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #12,049 of 46,502
Quote:
been getting ideas lately..
has anyone ever used the hd 650's portably/trans-portably ?
if so.. let me know your rigs :)

I take them with me once in a while, mainly with..
samsung s3 > practical devices xm6 (nice)
samsung s3> apex glacier (nice, powerful amp for the size)
samsung s3> PCStep (my favourite serious bass authority/slam for a portable)

the above are all dac/amp's being fed via the usb from the s3.

hisoundaudio studio v (impressive for a dap, better with my customs)

May 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #12,051 of 46,502
Quote:
been getting ideas lately..
has anyone ever used the hd 650's portably/trans-portably ?
if so.. let me know your rigs :)

i use it sometimes on the go with fiio e11 and cowon j3. the fiio is not a dac and the setup does not have a true line out but it still sounds really good. i have used the 280pro and 595s as well but the 650 blows them away even though the other cans should suit the setup more because of there low impedance. it might sound a bit dark and the bass setting on the fiio needs to be at 0 otherwise i get to much slam especially with electro and the likes

May 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #12,052 of 46,502
Thanks for sharing guys,
i use it sometimes on the go with fiio e11 and cowon j3. the fiio is not a dac and the setup does not have a true line out but it still sounds really good. i have used the 280pro and 595s as well but the 650 blows them away even though the other cans should suit the setup more because of there low impedance. it might sound a bit dark and the bass setting on the fiio needs to be at 0 otherwise i get to much slam especially with electro and the likes

I found your setup interesting due to the fact I've had my eyes on a j3 for some time now But decided my several iPods laying around would benefit from LOD> ALO Continental v2
And the whole cowon option wasn't viable from not having a line out.
That and the Lack of iems I tend to keep, as I resort to full size phones as primary listening source.

Gotta check tht out tho sometime in the near future

May 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #12,053 of 46,502
the paintwork of the hd650 is v prone to chipping...y bring it out? 
tat said, the roocooBA pairs well with 650 as a v portable pocketfriendly dap.

May 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #12,054 of 46,502
Quote:
Sweet, lyr it is. Should I get the bifrost dac to ago along with it? Figure if I am going all out, might as well do it proper! Right now I have an audioengine d1 as my amp and dac. I would be lying if I said having the bifrost and lyr stacked doesn't make me want to choose the bifrost instead of another dac...

in my humble opinion there are cheaper options out there that work really good.  The Bifrost is indeed awesome, and i want one, but if you are primarily listening to music via USB you can get an ODAC for $159 (get the one with RCA outputs) where as the very nice Bifrost will cost you $450 (the USB functionality adds +$100) or $520 (if you get the Uber option).

If you need your DAC to support multiple inputs like coaxial or optical then getting the Bifrost makes more sense.

May 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #12,055 of 46,502
Quote:
in my humble opinion there are cheaper options out there that work really good.  The Bifrost is indeed awesome, and i want one, but if you are primarily listening to music via USB you can get an ODAC for $159 (get the one with RCA outputs) where as the very nice Bifrost will cost you $450 (the USB functionality adds +$100) or $520 (if you get the Uber option).

If you need your DAC to support multiple inputs like coaxial or optical then getting the Bifrost makes more sense.

I already purchased the bifrost and I am using toslink, so with the uber it was only $419. I know I say "only", but I want something that will last me a long time and since I purchased the lyr as well, I wanted to have the stack to look nice, sound nice, and last a long time with warranty.

May 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #12,056 of 46,502

I've amped the output from the j3 with the o2 and it is nice sounding dispite not being a true line out.

May 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #12,057 of 46,502
Im looking for a tube amp to try out with my HD650s, I dont want to spend too much since Im broke and already own a CKKIII, would something like the Little Dot MKII be worth it?

Edit: Budget would be below 200, just heard such great things about HD650s and OTL amps so wanted to give it a go.

May 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #12,058 of 46,502
Quote:
Im looking for a tube amp to try out with my HD650s, I dont want to spend too much since Im broke and already own a CKKIII, would something like the Little Dot MKII be worth it?

Edit: Budget would be below 200, just heard such great things about HD650s and OTL amps so wanted to give it a go.

For under $200, I would check out the Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1, it is a bargain. Use the same tubes that the LDIII uses, and  (to my ears) as least as good sound. I have owned both (still own A1), also had CKKIII (loved it). If you want more, I just got ALO Pan Am which the HD650's to another level.

May 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #12,059 of 46,502
Thank you for the suggestions, Ive heard mixed things about some of the Maverick products but I know a couple are up in the For Sale forum right now if I want to go that route. This is more of just an introduction to the tube sound so Id rather not spend too much, when I graduate in August Im sure Ill be upgrading once I start working in engineering.

May 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #12,060 of 46,502
Quote:

For under $200, I would check out the Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1, it is a bargain. Use the same tubes that the LDIII uses, and  (to my ears) as least as good sound. I have owned both (still own A1), also had CKKIII (loved it). If you want more, I just got ALO Pan Am which the HD650's to another level.

I've been considering the Pan Am. Does it really bring the 650s to life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back