Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #12,076 of 46,535
I just heard HD600s today for the first time and now feel like dropping out of the HD650 club and going with the HD600 one instead. My brief first impression was that HD600 was the more accurate and natural sounding headphone with the more proper treble presence. HD650 sounded a little too dark in comparison with a somewhat unnatural boost in the mid bass through lower mids. Other than that, the two sounded very similar in technical ability to my ears. Thoughts? I do think HD650 is also a great headphone and perhaps I just need to listen to HD600 some more to realize that its not quite as good sounding? From what I read, HD650 is supposed to be the slightly superior one technically.

May 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12,077 of 46,535
It's purely subjective. One is darker, more musical, the other is more neutral. Apples vs oranges.

May 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12,078 of 46,535
I just heard HD600s today for the first time and now feel like dropping out of the HD650 club and going with the HD600 one instead. My brief first impression was that HD600 was the more accurate and natural sounding headphone with the more proper treble presence. HD650 sounded a little too dark in comparison with a somewhat unnatural boost in the mid bass through lower mids. Other than that, the two sounded very similar in technical ability to my ears. Thoughts? I do think HD650 is also a great headphone and perhaps I just need to listen to HD600 some more to realize that its not quite as good sounding? From what I read, HD650 is supposed to be the slightly superior one technically.

Did you hear the HD600 at the meet this afternoon? If so, one of the 600's has a custom cable, the other one is balanced. That may play into what you were hearing?

May 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #12,079 of 46,535
Quote:

Tyll agrees with you:

The HD 650 is rather more problematic to me. While the sound remains very similar to the HD 600 and does seem a tad more refined, it also seems a bit warmer, lusher, and thicker...more "veiled" if you like. Yes, in this case it does seem to warrant the discriptor. Just a bit too much of good thing. I still think it's a great headphone and have no problem recommending it, but with a $100 lower price, and a more neutral and snappier sound, I think the HD 600 is the better buy.

Summary
Yup, I'll say it, one of the worlds greatest headphones.

Lush and inviting, the HD 600 is simply one of the best buys in the world of audiophile headphones. Easily paired with just about headphone amplifier, they will sound good directly from the headphone jack of a receiver, and will improve nicely when combined with better gear. Going up on the "Wall of Fame" as the best open headphone in it's price range. While the HD 650 is slightly more refined sounding than the HD 600, it's also a bit warmer and thicker sounding...yes, maybe a bit veiled. While I think these headphones are very good and are well worthy of recommendation, I find the HD 600 a bit more neutral, and at $100 less, a better buy.

May 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #12,080 of 46,535
Quote:
Did you hear the HD600 at the meet this afternoon? If so, one of the 600's has a custom cable, the other one is balanced. That may play into what you were hearing?

I did listen to the one with the custom cable. Not the balanced one. I ignored the fact that it had a custom cable when assessing the sound quality though, as I am not really a cable believer and I have serious doubts that cables can improve sound. However, it is certainly possible that the cable improved the HD600 just enough for me to prefer them over the HD650s with the stock cable. I might prefer HD650 if both had the stock cable. Now, I need to find an HD600 with a stock cable to audition... Arghh. Whatever - I am too lazy for that. lol HD650 is good enough for me. But if I didn't have the HD650 already, I would definitely need to audition both first with the same cable and setup to decide which one to buy.

May 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #12,082 of 46,535
New to forum here!

I have had the HD650's for 3+years paired with a Decware CSP2....what a great combo!!!

also, added the Burson Soloist SL...

the HD650's sound fantastic with the Burson...detail, bass extension, delicate treble....a highly recommended pairing for the Soloist SL +HD650's

only recently have I fT-90elt the desire to try some other headphones...and the HD650's still hold there own against newer additions (mainly Beyerdynamic T-90)

Next venture is going to be a possible cable upgrade for the HD650's....stock cable for 3+ years, so I am intrigued to test those waters

viva the HD650!

May 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #12,083 of 46,535
Quote:

I did listen to the one with the custom cable. Not the balanced one. I ignored the fact that it had a custom cable when assessing the sound quality though, as I am not really a cable believer and I have serious doubts that cables can improve sound. However, it is certainly possible that the cable improved the HD600 just enough for me to prefer them over the HD650s with the stock cable. I might prefer HD650 if both had the stock cable. Now, I need to find an HD600 with a stock cable to audition... Arghh. Whatever - I am too lazy for that. lol HD650 is good enough for me. But if I didn't have the HD650 already, I would definitely need to audition both first with the same cable and setup to decide which one to buy.

There was an HD 600 with a custom cable? I didn't see an HD 600 with a custom (other than the balanced one). I had my HD650 with a custom cable in the corner by the closed door hooked to e09k/e17... and it's a with a Moon Audio Black Dragon. So if you heard a difference from stock cable HD 650, it's actually due to the cable then
wink_face.gif

Personally though, the HD600s were really quite something today when I heard them on the balanced rig today
biggrin.gif
.  Should have asked for a chance to try my HD 650s on that balanced rig
rolleyes.gif
.  Perhaps next time then haha.

May 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #12,084 of 46,535
Quote:

There was an HD 600 with a custom cable? I didn't see an HD 600 with a custom (other than the balanced one). I had my HD650 with a custom cable in the corner by the closed door hooked to e09k/e17... and it's a with a Moon Audio Black Dragon. So if you heard a difference from stock cable HD 650, it's actually due to the cable then
wink_face.gif

Personally though, the HD600s were really quite something today when I heard them on the balanced rig today
biggrin.gif
.  Should have asked for a chance to try my HD 650s on that balanced rig
rolleyes.gif
.  Perhaps next time then haha.

It was azncookiecutter's HD600. You just missed it.

May 5, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #12,085 of 46,535
nomadic journey....
from the hd600stock to hd600/650cable to hd600/stefanart
to hd650/stefanart to hd600/cardas to hd650/silver.

600stock, after a season, i missed the bass quantity...
650stock, i just need that little more edge to it,
threw in a silver cable ( thru some providence) ..
n my 650 became a "hd600 on steroids / or a hd650 veil off" .....
clearer top, tighter bass...
satisfying me thus far,
now to get a balanced plug,
curious what more can be squeezed out of this gem ..hmmmm.
tongue.gif

May 5, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #12,086 of 46,535
nomadic journey....
from the hd600stock to hd600/650cable to hd600/stefanart
to hd650/stefanart to hd600/cardas to hd650/silver.

600stock, after a season, i missed the bass quantity...
650stock, i just need that little more edge to it,
threw in a silver cable ( thru some providence) ..
n my 650 became a "hd600 on steroids / or a hd650 veil off" .....
clearer top, tighter bass...
satisfying me thus far,
now to get a balanced plug,
curious what more can be squeezed out of this gem ..hmmmm.
:p

Looks like a lot of cables. So your amp/Dac is already the best of the best? Just wondering, what amp and Dac would make the hd650 be at the best of its best and anymore upgrade in the amp/Dac section would have really bad diminishing return.

[Edited]

May 5, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #12,087 of 46,535
within midfi-ish range, best i heard on my own sofa..audiogd dac plus lyr......alas the lyr is gone.
now to pretend i wont miss it. lets see how long i last.

May 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #12,089 of 46,535
hmmm....time to research again. see wat i can find at the thriftshop.
tongue.gif

May 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #12,090 of 46,535
Quote:
New to forum here!

I have had the HD650's for 3+years paired with a Decware CSP2....what a great combo!!!

also, added the Burson Soloist SL...

the HD650's sound fantastic with the Burson...detail, bass extension, delicate treble....a highly recommended pairing for the Soloist SL +HD650's

only recently have I fT-90elt the desire to try some other headphones...and the HD650's still hold there own against newer additions (mainly Beyerdynamic T-90)

Next venture is going to be a possible cable upgrade for the HD650's....stock cable for 3+ years, so I am intrigued to test those waters

viva the HD650!

Always great to see another Decware fan! Welcome to Head-Fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back