Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #11,371 of 46,499
Man... listening to a piano acoustic version of Rammstein's Mein Herz Brennt... wow. Till's voice is right there, like he's singing directly to me. I can hear every nuance of his voice, every subtle growl, every rumble, every roll of the R... the quietest vibrato... everything. It's giving me chills. The HD650s do vocals almost better than real life, I think. 
size]
 I'm so glad I didn't sell them. They are wonderful.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #11,373 of 46,499
Quote:
Now, I am very curious how audio gd amp sound compared to Lehmann BCL?

Which Audio-gd are you referring to? I have the NFB-5.2 and it sound very good (especially for the price). Not quite as lush as the Crack, but it has a little better detail and clarity.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #11,374 of 46,499
With regards to the "colored" vs. "neutral" argument, I tend to think of it as I would musical instruments. It really just depends on "how" colored it is, and is not an issue of whether it is colored at all. 

That said, when playing musical instruments, and if going by my memory of my high school band teacher, having just a tiny bit of a colored sound seems preferable. I remember the high school band teacher always pushing for a "warmer", and "darker" sound. Which, unsurprisingly sounds like the HD-650; this is evidence, to me at least, that there is a sort of general consensus about what makes a pleasurable sound. 

That said, I don't like going overboard with the warmth, either. This point brings me back to my memories of the RS-1. While its sound was exciting, I just don't remember having long listening sessions with the RS-1. The warm just was a little too much for me, I think, and was something that got kind of old very quickly. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #11,375 of 46,499
EDIT: Oh, by the way. Is it possible to use the HD600's grills(?) on these?

Yes, they are physically compatible. However, the ring around the HD600 grill is made of matte plastic while the HD650 grill is made of shiny plastic, so a careful observer might find it a bit odd.

Anyways, HD600 grills are $20 a pop from Sennheiser while HD650 grills are $40.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #11,376 of 46,499
Couldn't resist, so I've come back to the HD650!

Got them off Amazon like new for $355 with full warranty. :D

My last pair was also like new, and it was perfect. This time though, I know I want to keep them as they're the best full sized headphones I've used that I could lay down with, and enjoy a non-fatiguing signature. The HD650 isn't perfect, and not in my top 3 headphones, but what they do right, is something I MUST have around. I'll use my LCD2 as my main, and the HD650 when I get tired of the LCD2's heft, or when laying down, watching anime, etc.

I was told by the rep that all their 'like new' HD650's came within the last 15 days directly from Sennheiser. I believe adgtron is the biggest refurbished/open box seller of Sennheiser headphones.
"> We are authorized Sennheiser dealers
>
> please contact Sennheiser to verify that 860-434-9190 our reps name is Brenda Ferguson
>
>
> What are the largest Authorized Sennheiser refurbished dealer in the USA
>
> we have 65 pairs in stock. Not just 1.
>
> All are 100% perfect and complete
>
> They sell as fast as we can get them
>
> Thank you"

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #11,377 of 46,499

My last pair was also like new, and it was perfect. This time though, I know I want to keep them as they're the best full sized headphones I've used that I could lay down with, and enjoy a non-fatiguing signature. The HD650 isn't perfect, and not in my top 3 headphones, but what they do right, is something I MUST have around. I'll use my LCD2 as my main, and the HD650 when I get tired of the LCD2's heft, or when laying down, watching anime, etc.

I was told by the rep that all their 'like new' HD650's came within the last 15 days directly from Sennheiser. I believe adgtron is the biggest refurbished/open box seller of Sennheiser headphones.

I'm curious... What are your top 3? LCD2 and?

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #11,378 of 46,499
1. D7000
2. LCD2 vegan (more on the neutral side but still warm, airy, and clearer, but not as warm as the leather, but similar bass)
3. LCD2 leather (warmer, meatier, but more congested and closed sounding than the vegan)
4. K702 65th Anniversary (honestly, the best all rounder I've ever heard, even more so than the higher tier ones)
5. HE400
6. HD650
7. DT990
8. HE-4

I'm sure the HE-500 would probably be #4 or #5...

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #11,380 of 46,499
Have you even heard them? Even Chicolom who was skeptical ended up selling his well loved Q701s for the Annies (after comparing them for a bit). He ended up just buying Q701 pads for the Annies, and still notes how different the Annie pads make it sound. Spend a week or two with the Annies, you'll be a believer. ESPECIALLY if you love the HD650. It has warmth like the HD650, with more sundstage and air, and better treble extension.

I may have sold the Annies and kept the LCD2, but believe me when I tell you that I felt the Annies did more things right than the LCD2. I just love the bass on the LCD2s more. If it weren't for that, the Annies would still be here. They are bar none, the most balanced headphones I have heard, and basically the one headphone I didn't find ANYTHING wrong with. Anything at all.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #11,381 of 46,499

There's that nostalgia I mentioned, LOL.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #11,382 of 46,499
Quote:

It's the 650 and Maddog with Alpha Pads for for the next great while. One open dynamic and one closed ortho. Perfect complements to each other. 

+1.

Got the MD's to replace my M50's. Wanted a nice closed HP with the SD650 sound signature. As far as I am concerned, they are closed SD-650's. They are that close to the 650's IMHO.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #11,383 of 46,499
+1.

Got the MD's to replace my M50's. Wanted a nice closed HP with the SD650 sound signature. As far as I am concerned, they are closed SD-650's. They are that close to the 650's IMHO.

I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever want a closed headphone.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #11,384 of 46,499
In regards to the build quality, I wasn't comparing them to [COLOR=008000]$[/COLOR]25-50 headphones but much rather the quite elegant and all the more sturdy AKG K550. They're not moons apart, but they feel plasticky in comparison. The creaking will hopefully settle over time.

From my experience AKG headphones in this class are generally better made. K701, q701, k702, k501, k550, k551

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #11,385 of 46,499
Hi! Long time lurker in these forums. Finally bought my first audiophile hp, broke the bank but it was really worth it.

Currently running a Xonar STX > HD650 (I'm planning to get a better DAC/AMP, but wallet is still borked 
frown.gif
)

Haven't burned these phones yet but I'm currently loving it's sound sig. I mostly listen to edm/techno, sometimes a bit of classics/oldies and some ambient/gregorian depending on mood. Tried the Q701 and didn't like how the q701 fits my head and the lumps on the headband are a bit irritating after awhile. Also tried the DT990 premiums and loved the comfort, almost kept these cans but for some reason the treble really bothers me quite a bit.

I like the padding of the 650 cups, not very soft and not rock hard, still prefer the beyer pads tho. Too much clamp but I'm hoping it will loosen up after awhile. The gap in the middle of the head padding feels awkward for me though.

Build quality wise it felt a little bit cheap due to the plastic overall build and glossy finish, but after manhandling a bit I realized it considerably sturdy except for the headband itself. After checking the drivers, I noticed a hologram thingy sticker in the left earcup, inside the mesh right below the driver but none on the right cup, anyone know what that is?

aaaaand any recommendations for a desktop amp? I'm gonna grab a desktop amp first while using the stx as dac, my budget is around 300-400$ for the amp ( still saving up for it. ) 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back