Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #10,831 of 46,527
Quote:
Headphone 101, really? I must have played hooky that day cause I've been turning my amps on and off with headphones plugged in without issue for years. But maybe I'll start plugging/unplugging first to be on the safe side. That video is a bit freaky indeed.

Yep. Well, it really comes down to the design of the circuit.

But these are general rules.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #10,832 of 46,527
Are you guys suuuuure about that (re: plugging headphones in and out)? I just don't see why amp manufacturers would make amps that would require that, and wouldn't the constant removal/insertion over a long period of time damage the headphone plug?

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #10,833 of 46,527
Quote:
Are you guys suuuuure about that (re: plugging headphones in and out)? I just don't see why amp manufacturers would make amps that would require that, and wouldn't the constant removal/insertion over a long period of time damage the headphone plug?

As stated, it depends on the circuit.

For example, I was just reading about the WA6 and the discussion of this subject.
And here's Jack's response on the proper way to turn WA6 on.

It is recommended to switch on the amp with a headphone on. This would avoid the amp being open circuit - not a good thing for any tube amps. You will not harm the amp at all if you leave an open circuit for a short period of time. The loud noise/abnormal sound is normal the tubes are warming up to get into the working state. A proper way to use the amp is 1) plug in your headphone, 2) mute the volume or stop your source 3) switch on the amp and let it warm up for at least 10 seconds, and that's all.

And no, there's no fear of wear on the sockets they're durable.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #10,836 of 46,527
Quote:
Easy solution is not to buy **** schiit products. That way you will never risk damaging your headphones either way. 

Care to elaborate.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #10,837 of 46,527
I guess it varies from amplifier to amplifier. I've always read that the safest procedure is to have it muted and turn off/on while the phones are connected. Only heard incidents of people arguing that phones should be disconnected before hitting the on/off switch in relation to Schiit's products.

This is really confusing and uncertain most of the time with different amps and various recommendations.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #10,838 of 46,527
Quote:
I guess it varies from amplifier to amplifier. I've always read that the safest procedure is to have it muted and turn off/on while the phones are connected. Only heard incidents of people arguing that phones should be disconnected before hitting the on/off switch in relation to Schiit's products.

This is really confusing and uncertain most of the time with different amps and various recommendations.

So the problem is with Schiit products then...

Edit: Oh dear. Hopefully I haven't opened a can of worms. This will be my last post on this subject, and I'm going to step away from the thread until this subject is over.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #10,839 of 46,527
Quote:

With some tube amps you can fry the OT if running the amp with no load.

Hence to save you from parsing through this argument or that. It depends on the circuit. Period.

It was known that the early Schiit products didn't have relays. Shike ignored common headphone 101 knowledge,
the problem was further compounded by exaggeration of 1 instance. I.e. it didn't happen with every unit. (ruining headphones that is).

The bottom line, all Schiit products have relays in them.

Furthermore, Mjolnir doesn't require headphone to be unplugged upon turn on/off, for example.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #10,840 of 46,527
I always unplug my headphones before turning my Lyr on and leave them unplugged when I turn them on until I hear the click.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #10,841 of 46,527
Well here are my thoughts on the hd 650, let me start off by saying the mids are really good. My overall issue with this headphone is that I feel the treble is always too laid back, I feel like the vocals are behind the instruments and the bass. The few times I used this headphone I felt like I had to turn the volume up louder to get the treble where I wanted. But then again maybe that is the sennheiser sound signature I remember having a pair of hd 555 that I wasn't too fond of.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #10,845 of 46,527
Here's an interesting twist I'd like to share while I wait anxiously for the Asgard 2 to arrive. I have just heard the match for the best amp I've heard in terms of dynamics and power. I been listening all morning and early afternoon with different sources and there to question...this amp is brilliant!! Brutishly powerful and elegantly dynamic. 

One thing though, I can't get to twelve on the volume pot. Not even 11:00. Ten is as loud as my ears are comfortable with. Yes, that a full click and change less than where I'm at with most desktop amps. 

How much did it cost you ask? More than $500? More than $1k? Nope. All for the low low cost of...wait for it...zero!! What I have have is a vintage receiver that is to my estimation at least 20 years old. Possibly 22. And it makes one of the most beautiful pairings with the hd650 that I've had the pleasure to hear. Effortlessly. I honestly don't have the adjectives to describe my amazement of the sound being reproduce by this amp that better than two decades old. I almost gave it away several times. The last friend that I offered it to wouldn't take it because it had no optical connections. I just wish that I had some seriously hard to drive hp's to see what kind of legs it's really got. It laughs at the hd650. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back