Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #10,801 of 46,527
^^ Not me. Just because I find the lyr fantastic with hd650 and orthos doesn't that it will impress others in the same way. There are no absolutes in this hobby when it comes to enjoyment of gear. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #10,802 of 46,527
Quote:
maybe he's not being sarcastic? Is it that hard to believe that someone may not be all that impressed with the Lyr?

That has to do with the pot how? Read my post again. I was talking about breaking the HD650
not about the fact that he thinks the Lyr is meh with dynamics. 
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #10,803 of 46,527
Quote:

Still waiting to hear more from you about the crack!! 
size]

I'm still in comparison mode Matt, but I will say that the many testimonials around here concerning the fantastic synergy between the Crack (especially with the Speedball upgrade) and the HD-650 are spot-on. I'm in the process of dealing with some issues right now, but as soon as I get that cleared up I'll be posting my impressions. They'll be short and to the point though, so if you're hoping for eloquent at-length exposition you may be disappointed.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #10,804 of 46,527
Quote:
That has to do with the pot how? Read my post again. I was talking about breaking the HD650
not about the fact that he thinks the Lyr is meh with dynamics. 
tongue.gif

Ah, gotcha
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #10,805 of 46,527
Quote:
Just gotten a silver cable onto my hd650....
and swapped out the thin foam over the drivers, for a thin sheet of old stockings,
the sound is JUST RIGHT for my ears, smooth, bodacious with hints of clarity :p
Late nite listening, a glass of oaky shiraz, and choral music....this v comfy hd650 is perfect 
atsmile.gif

^^^This right here^^^

beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #10,806 of 46,527
This is the second time I've heard someone describe sound as "bodacious"...can someone explain what that even means? Is it similar to being radical, or totally gnarly?

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #10,808 of 46,527
The Lyr's signature is dictated by the tubes. Assumptions about how well it will match with a headphone are useless without addressing the tubes employed.

Also, extra "warmth" does not curtail the HD650 IME. If anything it adds zest and makes it a more energetic headphone. Guitars are projected with extra crunch and bite, percussion with more distinct hits and vocals with extra body and definition. Mids are where the good stuff resides and a strength of the HD650. Highlighting that is not a bad thing IMO.

I admit that this is true. But...it's not a day and night fundamental change in the signature of the amp as some might think. The lyr is damn good on the stock tubes...GE's for me. I was able to really dial in and eventually bulls eye audio ecstasy with the Amperex Orange Globes. 

[...]

Have you heard the difference between the old stock JJ tubes and decent tubes with the Lyr? Or what about the difference between good tubes when you have something as revealing as the HD800 at the end of the chain? In these instances I would say the difference is night and day.

Even with the less resolving HD650, I could easily tell the difference between the JJs, RCA's, cryoed 6N21Ps, Orange Globes, Bugles and Stuttgarts I had on hand.

Lyr impressions are useless without divulging what tubes were installed.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #10,809 of 46,527
How much better are the 650's to the 558's? I'm loving the 558's, i'm not sure if music can sound any better. Is... is... is there more to this? God damnit, take my money sennheiser! TAKE IT!

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #10,811 of 46,527
How much better are the 650's to the 558's? I'm loving the 558's, i'm not sure if music can sound any better. Is... is... is there more to this? God damnit, take my money sennheiser! TAKE IT!

Yes. There is a LOT more, sad to say(for your wallet).... I started with the 558s, and I upgraded to a 650 (now upgraded to a LCD2v2....) and the sound jump, although not outright obvious, was immense. The 650s kinda take everything about the 558s and up them a couple of notches, the mids are more lush(idk how some people find the mids veiled), the bass hits deeper and stronger, with much greater control, and the highs are about the same, just maybe a little more resolved and detailed in comparison. If you want a layman a idea of what switching from the 558s to 650s are like; when I first A/Bed the 2, I found myself more immersed in the music with the 650s, they brought the music to life in a way that the 558 can't. I was full out headbanging and foot stomping when listening to Floyd and Queen on the 650s, something that I am not motivated to do with the 558s. Hope this answers the question :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #10,812 of 46,527
One would figure that statement holds true for tube amps in general. Haha.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #10,813 of 46,527
Quote:

If you're happy with the 558s and can't imagine anything better, my advice to you would be to leave Head-fi forthwith, never to return. Do not look back. Forget this place even exists. Pay no attention to anything that anyone else says to you. Hanging around here is like being a fly meandering around the inside of a Venus Flytrap - sooner or later you'll flick a trigger hair the required number of times and the trap will close. Once that happens you're dooooooooooomed...

L3000.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #10,814 of 46,527
Quote:

If you're happy with the 558s and can't imagine anything better, my advice to you would be to leave Head-fi forthwith, never to return. Do not look back. Forget this place even exists. Pay no attention to anything that anyone else says to you. Hanging around here is like being a fly meandering around the inside of a Venus Flytrap - sooner or later you'll flick a trigger hair the required number of times and the trap will close. Once that happens you're dooooooooooomed...

L3000.gif

This is also a saaaaaad truth, never before Head-fi did I think that $800 for a pair of headphones was A CHEAP DEAL. Scratch my previous post, RUN!!! 

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #10,815 of 46,527
Quote:

L3000.gif

LOL head-fi has caused me to go mad. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back