Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #10,171 of 46,554
Quote:
It took me several days to adjust to the sound of the HD650 as well, but I do believe you are the first person I've ever heard call the HD650 aggressive! It is one of the most laid back, chilled out headphones I've ever heard...unless you are just cranking the volume up to unsafe levels..
blink.gif

Seconded! The more common complain on HD650 is that it's a boring headphone because of that laidback sound
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #10,173 of 46,554
Quote:
Random note: I just wanted to say I take back everything I said before about the HD650 being "laid back". Before my biggest complaint with the HD650 (and reason I had the HD800 for a while) was that since the upper treble (14khz+) was recessed, it made violin, harpsichord and many classical pieces sound rather bland and boring and muffled. 

I've repurchased HD650s since swapping HD800s for speakers, but this time rather than running HD650s out of an NFB12 like I did last time, I'm just using my receiver's headphone out (Harman Kardon HK3490). It sounds way better than before. Overall quality is great from the Harmon Kardon, but most noticeably it's not at all laid back like my NFB12 was. I know for a fact the NFB12 was noticeably laid back because I once A/B'ed with direct output from my laptop, and while the laptop wasn't powerful enough to get good quality, the treble was noticeably more forward than with the NFB12.

Right now I'm really re-impressed with the HD650. Honestly this sounds about as neutral as I can imagine, great soundstage (much improved over the NFB12), dynamic feeling, etc. As opposed to the HD800, which has a bit too much treble, I'm finding the HD650 from a neutral dac/amp is remarkably well balanced all the way up to the far upper treble. For what people often call a "laid back" headphone, the HD650 easily reaches up to beyond my 19khz hearing limit without dropping off. The HD800 unquestionably has better sound quality and detail, but I must say the HD650 is really really good, and don't have any weakness I can possibly identify.

TLDR: I'm pretty much certain that these are the last headphones I'll ever need. 

There could also be some slight variations between pairs. Someone has measured two different pairs and one of them had more forward upper mids and some other differences. I know that some don't want to believe such things exist and I'm not talking about the silver/black driver differences.

I had 2 pairs about 2 years ago and they had a lack of treble and bloated mid-bass. This was on any source.

This pair sounds very well balanced. It's very smooth though and does "tame" some harsh music slightly. I do find it slightly colored, but in a good way. This one is not boring or laid back. It really seems to excel with vocals just like my other favorite headphone. I don't even consider this pair dark. The bass is actually better controlled than my HD-600 for whatever reason.

I always thought my Q701 was my perfect open headphone, but the HD-650 I just bought a few months ago I haven't been able to take of my head.

I'm using it with the Headroom Micro Amp to ODAC. It's also good with the Magni. Previously I was using my old HD-650's with the Asgard, but upgraded to the Micro and found that it sounded better.

BTW this HD-650 certainly has no lack of detail, pretty impressive in this area with the ODAC. Crazy as it sounds, I prefer the soundstage of the 650 vs the HD-600.

NOTE: This pair seems to have a very slight peak or forwardness in the upper mids. This doesn't seem to show up in graphs, just like with my DJ100. It's just a tiny one and not like that of the K702! I know that almost nobody could agree with this. A few have mentioned this. It's not coming from my amp or dac. 100% sure of this.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #10,174 of 46,554
Quote:

There could also be some slight variations between pairs. Someone has measured two different pairs and one of them had more forward upper mids and some other differences. I know that some don't want to believe such things exist and I'm not talking about the silver/black driver differences.

I had 2 pairs about 2 years ago and they had a lack of treble and bloated mid-bass. This was on any source.

This pair sounds very well balanced. It's very smooth though and does "tame" some harsh music slightly. I do find it slightly colored, but in a good way. This one is not boring or laid back. It really seems to excel with vocals just like my other favorite headphone. I don't even consider this pair dark. The bass is actually better controlled than my HD-600 for whatever reason.

I always thought my Q701 was my perfect open headphone, but the HD-650 I just bought a few months ago I haven't been able to take of my head.

I'm using it with the Headroom Micro Amp to ODAC. It's also good with the Magni. Previously I was using my old HD-650's with the Asgard, but upgraded to the Micro and found that it sounded better.

BTW this HD-650 certainly has no lack of detail, pretty impressive in this area with the ODAC. Crazy as it sounds, I prefer the soundstage of the 650 vs the HD-600.

NOTE: This pair seems to have a very slight peak or forwardness in the upper mids. This doesn't seem to show up in graphs, just like with my DJ100. It's just a tiny one and not like that of the K702! I know that almost nobody could agree with this. A few have mentioned this. It's not coming from my amp or dac. 100% sure of this.

We hear the 650 exactly the same. Possibly there was some sneaky revision, but mine are just wonderful and sound nothing like veiled, laid back or boring. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #10,176 of 46,554
Quote:
Got Magni amp a couple of days ago. Listening to music at high volume with no distortion is... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I wonder how much better this will sound with Lyr.

Don't wonder... find out for yourself 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #10,178 of 46,554
Quote:
Got Magni amp a couple of days ago. Listening to music at high volume with no distortion is... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I wonder how much better this will sound with Lyr.

The more I listen to the HD650 with the Magni, the more I like this combination.  I don't think you need to be in a hurry to upgrade.  The Lyr is a very sweet amp, and brings some more warmth and air to the HD650, but damn, the Magni is a very solid match.  In other news, I ordered a spare HD650 cable from Sennheiser to re-terminate in a balanced 4 pin Neutrik XLR.  I'm very interested in how the HD650 sounds out of the Mjolnir+Gungnir.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #10,179 of 46,554
Quote:
The more I listen to the HD650 with the Magni, the more I like this combination.  I don't think you need to be in a hurry to upgrade.  The Lyr is a very sweet amp, and brings some more warmth and air to the HD650, but damn, the Magni is a very solid match.  In other news, I ordered a spare HD650 cable from Sennheiser to re-terminate in a balanced 4 pin Neutrik XLR.  I'm very interested in how the HD650 sounds out of the Mjolnir+Gungnir.

I'm currently re-terminating two of these cable for other members here on the site.  Maybe I'll have to make one for myself.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #10,181 of 46,554

Quote:

No doubt you're right about this.  There are significant differences in the FR graphs Senn provides to HD800 owners (http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived/345 ), so I think its pretty safe to assume that no two pairs truly sound the same.  Bear in mind that this is their flagship.  Tolerances are likely lower in the manufacturing of the 600/650's and so on, down the ladder.    

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #10,182 of 46,554
Quote:
Cool.  Have you got a balanced amp to try out the HD650?

I don't actually have any balanced amps, but my Liquid Glass does have a 4-pin XLR output, so I'm at least able to test it.  I can also use the Hifiman speaker adapter to power them straight off my 6w Decware Taboo's speaker taps (not truly balanced, but it is another option to test the cable/headphone performance).

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #10,183 of 46,554
Quote:

Having had both, I find the Lyr to be a solid and noticeable upgrade from the Magni, and from the Asgard for that matter. With the right tubes the Lyr and the HD650 are a supremely enjoyable combo.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #10,184 of 46,554
I currently have a Burson Soloist with HD580.  Do you think it would be a good upgrade to get HD650?  I like my hd580 but have heard that hd650 scales well with upgrades.  FYI, I listen primarily to classical music (orchestral, chamber, lots of piano music, violin concertos, etc) and a little jazz and blue grass.  Any thoughts?

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #10,185 of 46,554
Quote:
I currently have a Burson Soloist with HD580.  Do you think it would be a good upgrade to get HD650?  I like my hd580 but have heard that hd650 scales well with upgrades.  FYI, I listen primarily to classical music (orchestral, chamber, lots of piano music, violin concertos, etc) and a little jazz and blue grass.  Any thoughts?

Only you can decide if you like them. Try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back