Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #10,186 of 46,565
Quote:
Only you can decide if you like them. Try them out.

Indeed, but if I don't have access to them, some advice would be nice.  I've heard that the hd580/600/650 all share a similar sound signature with hd580/600 being the most neutral and 650 being a little more warm but having more transparency and air. Is this true.  If so, they sound awesome.  Anyone have the Soloist with HD650?  

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #10,187 of 46,565
I don't have the solist and have not heard it. Previously, I had the 650 on the Asgard and now the lyr. I think that the 650 sounds considerably better on a tube amp than with solid state. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #10,188 of 46,565

Quote:

There could also be some slight variations between pairs. Someone has measured two different pairs and one of them had more forward upper mids and some other differences. I know that some don't want to believe such things exist and I'm not talking about the silver/black driver differences.

I had 2 pairs about 2 years ago and they had a lack of treble and bloated mid-bass. This was on any source.

I agree with you. Mine had a lack of treble as well. I thought it was the sound signature. I'm glad I got rid of them.
Bought a new pair and got nice one this time :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #10,189 of 46,565
Quote:
Indeed, but if I don't have access to them, some advice would be nice.  I've heard that the hd580/600/650 all share a similar sound signature with hd580/600 being the most neutral and 650 being a little more warm but having more transparency and air. Is this true.  If so, they sound awesome.  Anyone have the Soloist with HD650?  

Hi. I have HD650 (don't have Soloist) and listen to lots of classical music. I like these headphones with big orchestras and operetic pieces. They have this smooth and lush sound that is very addictive. They also have the weight sufficient for Bruckner or Wagner for example. I also have a pair of AKG k701 which I received yesterday and those seem to be a great companion to HD650 for classical music, especially for solo instruments, chamber orchestras, small vocal pieces. I listened to Mahler with k701 and they are fully capable for painting the orchestral volume and scale. AKG is airier than the Sennheisers but the latter have more weight. HD650 and HD600 are very similar, same signature, HD650 being a tad warmer. The chance is if you like HD580 you will also like HD600 or HD650. 
smile.gif
 Remember, different headphones give the largest differences in sound. Difference between amplifiers is mostly a lot smaller.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #10,190 of 46,565
I hear some people who knock the hd650 for classical, but I listen to a fair amount of classical and think that it sounds great on the 650. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #10,192 of 46,565
Quote:

Ultimately, it seems that the HD 800 (from reviews and opinions of others in this community) with a setup to reduce the treble sibilance may possibly suit your classical needs more.  I LOVE the HD 650... but I can agree that sometimes certain classical pieces may not be presented with the same soundstage and imaging that one could want (it's fine for me... i'm not as picky).  I feel the HD 650 are very intimate cans... whereas it seems the general consensus for the HD 800 is incredible imaging, detail and soundstage.

However, budget-wise... if you're looking to save over 1000... go with the HD 650 =D

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #10,193 of 46,565
BTW no lies MattTCG... I swear you're like the #1 Lyr advocate for the HD 650s =)  Each time I read you raving about the combo it pushes my upgraditis a bit further...
biggrin.gif
but for now I must resist and continue to enjoy the e17/e09k combo... would seem unfair to them as I've only had them for about 5 months.  perhaps in a year or so......
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #10,194 of 46,565
Quote:

I agree with you. Mine had a lack of treble as well. I thought it was the sound signature. I'm glad I got rid of them.
Bought a new pair and got nice one this time :)

Maybe this explains my disdain for them..... bloated mid-bass and missing highs ---- that's why I sold them.  Though the mid-bass was bloated, my HD600 actually reached down to handle lower frequency bass then the 650s. I had bought them used but in mint condition with presumably very few hours on them.  They had the white (vs. black) wachamacallit, but I really don't know how old they were.  Perhaps I should audition another pair.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #10,195 of 46,565
Personally, I found the HD600 to be a little better for classical music. Pianos and string instruments are just fantastic. I like the sound better because it's not as warm. So I'd go with an HD600 for classical, but they're so close to the HD580 that it's probably not worth the money. Not that the HD650 isn't good with classical -- it is, but I think the HD600 is better.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #10,196 of 46,565
Quote:

I have the Soloist and the HD650... as well as a Bottlehead Crack (self-built).  I haven't heard the HD580 or HD600, let alone on the Soloist... but I'm happy with the HD650 on the Soloist.  Both the Soloist and the Crack have their moments to shine depending on what I'm listening to, but overall I'm favoring the Soloist because of it's precise, clean and transparent sound.  If I could only choose one, it'd be the Soloist.  That said, I'm not the greatest at the DIY thing and my Crack build is probably mediocre at best, and I haven't invested much time and effort into tubes... so it's not the most fair of comparisons.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #10,197 of 46,565
Quote:
BTW no lies MattTCG... I swear you're like the #1 Lyr advocate for the HD 650s =)  Each time I read you raving about the combo it pushes my upgraditis a bit further...
biggrin.gif
but for now I must resist and continue to enjoy the e17/e09k combo... would seem unfair to them as I've only had them for about 5 months.  perhaps in a year or so......
rolleyes.gif

Well, it's true. I love the lyr and every time that I listen to it with the 650's I'm completely blown away. Makes me want to tell people about just how good it is. 

You should come to CAnlantat 2013!! I will bring the lyr. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back