Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #9,751 of 46,499
Quote:
I don't find the need for EQ at all with the 650. I'm not a big believer in the much talked about veil and feel no need to change the sound signature of the fine hp's. 

I thought I might have heard it (veil) fresh spankin' new out of the box...the HD650 actually sounded congested for a time but over a few days/weeks they sound very open and I don't hear any of the described "veil" at all right now. I don't know if my brain needed time to get used to them, or if there is actually something to this "burn in" business!

It's quite possible that this is something they fixed on the new version too, I've never listened to the old driver version of HD650.

Edit: all this talk about numbers, I just realized this is post 420 for me....just sayin'.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #9,755 of 46,499
I'm at work today, experimenting with the HD-650s driven by the Magni and Modi.  I'm trying to see if I can use open headphones without bugging people and if I like the M&M with the Senns.  So far, so good!  Maybe I'm warming up to this combo, but everything is sounding great today--Diana Krall-Live in Paris (one of my references), and the 2012 albums from Hot Chip, Grimes, and Beach House.  I had the Hot Chip cranked up a bit too much and you could hear it leaking out of my office, but otherwise--no problems.
beyersmile.png
  The M&M sound very good to me today.  No A/B-ing, just enjoying the music.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9,756 of 46,499
At this point....i am already quite content with my D2000 and HD 650 (and some $<200 headphones and IEMs).  However, what I am really putting into consideration is between the Magni/Modi and the O2/ODAC.  I was leaning towards the Magni Modi since they look nice and are 2/3 the price, but people seem to say that O2/ODAC is a solid option for the HD 650.  I would love it if someone (or multiple people) can do an A/B comparison between the two setups as it appears that a few others aside from myself are also debating between the two.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #9,757 of 46,499
I'm at work today, experimenting with the HD-650s driven by the Magni and Modi.  I'm trying to see if I can use open headphones without bugging people and if I like the M&M with the Senns.  So far, so good!  Maybe I'm warming up to this combo, but everything is sounding great today--Diana Krall-Live in Paris (one of my references), and the 2012 albums from Hot Chip, Grimes, and Beach House.  I had the Hot Chip cranked up a bit too much and you could hear it leaking out of my office, but otherwise--no problems. :beyersmile:   The M&M sound very good to me today.  No A/B-ing, just enjoying the music.

That sounds promising, seeing as I have just ordered the Modi / Magni combo for my office, to be used with HD650 and maybe occasionally my 4.Ai

Should arrive here in the UK in the New Year......can't wait :D

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #9,758 of 46,499
That sounds promising, seeing as I have just ordered the Modi / Magni combo for my office, to be used with HD650 and maybe occasionally my 4.Ai
Should arrive here in the UK in the New Year......can't wait :D
Too bad we're all dying tomorrow. :wink:

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #9,760 of 46,499
Argh you just had to go and ruin it all didn't you?:D
So do I want to go wearing my HD650 or my 4.Ai??? :D
4.Ai, you don't want to hear all the demonic cries do you? :veryevil:

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #9,764 of 46,499
We need a 650 meet on the other side of the international date line.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back