Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #8,686 of 46,499
Quote:
I use my 650 straight line out from a 2008 macbook.. the sound is neutral/tonal with just a slight roll off on the lows but nevertheless the highs have great resolution, energy and extension

my 650s are 118hrs burned in so far..

I prefer the M-Stage and ODAC+O2 to my laptop's audio which has some Realtek chipset.

At work, we have "professional" workstations with some Realtek chipset (possibly different from the laptop, but I don't know for sure.). Based on brief, informal, and inconclusive testing, it seems to me to be closer to the M-Stage.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #8,687 of 46,499
i am really eager to try new DACs but the highs on my macbook's have become my standard in terms of energy, resolution and extension.. and tonal balance..

one gripe though is I find the vocals especially Taylor Swift's highly pitched (?) could be because of the treble .. i find the vocals transparent on the hdp r10-dx100

and a little bit more depthness on the lows....

i got poisoned by the hd800's very good resolution and extension on the lows
basshead.gif

i've just tried the NU Force's HDP..

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #8,688 of 46,499
I've read that the HD650's need some amping to even work right, which is why I was looking into amps. I prefer a slightly colored tone that takes off the sharp edge of trouble, hence the HD650 choice; if I preferred a more neutral tone, I'd probably just stick to my K550s 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #8,689 of 46,499
Quote:
I've read that the HD650's need some amping to even work right, which is why I was looking into amps. I prefer a slightly colored tone that takes off the sharp edge of trouble, hence the HD650 choice; if I preferred a more neutral tone, I'd probably just stick to my K550s 
biggrin.gif

It's nonsense. The statement is parroted over and over, but it's still nonsense. The truth is that with a poorly designed amp, or one with excessively high output impedance, it can't reach anywhere near its capabilities. With a fair-quality amp, it sounds good. With a good amp, it sounds great. With a better amp, it sounds even better. At least it does for me. Not everyone likes them.

I haven't paid any attention to amps with colored sound, because I don't want one. But in the amplifier forums, you can find people specifically requesting information about "warm" sounding amps. You could try checking out a few of those threads.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8,690 of 46,499
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I find the Asgard is a warm amp. Lots of people love it. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #8,691 of 46,499
Got a pair of these today. I was looking forward to them and my UPS guy decided to not leave them. I'm actually not too worried about this, but I wanted them TODAY!
Due to working until 8am I wasn't able to get to the door. Turns out they had come back.

No chance to really listen to them on my main setup yet because I had to work and had a early deadline.

I used them with my Total Airhead (portable) amp from Sansa Clip+ using FLAC files. I made a tiny Double Helix interconnect cable from some scrap wire someone sent me.
Really, really impressed with them in comparison to my HD-600/580 (have both..yeah i'm weird).

No bloated bass or massive mid-bass hump. There's some bass in songs that I feel like wasn't as present on the HD-600..or almost absent (maybe not). I don't mean it's making it worse or anything. Still accurate. These are songs i've heard millions of times. Biggest difference seems to be the soundstaging. It seems that some instruments sound like they're placed almost to my right and left and almost behind my ears! Like do you ever hear something in a recording with a good headphone and you're almost wanting to look behind you. The soundstage wasn't huge due to it being the HD-650 and used with a portable amp/source. Never got this effect with the HD-600/580 ever. I do with my Q701.

Female vocals with this setup so far are definitely better than the HD-580/600. The mids are much fuller sounding. I thought that if the HD-600 had any "thicker" mids it'd be ruined, but I guess not. You know...those upper mids don't really seem "laid back" or recessed or whatever. I'll know if my amp is adding any coloration in this area, but if any, it's probably mild. The Airhead's impedance output is around 1.7-2ohm or something like that. My Micro is a bit better at .5 ohm. The Airhead is pretty powerful and can drive the 650 (and Q701) with ease. Not saying it's as good as a desktop amp, but zero complaints.

I had the HD-650 about 2 years ago but no good computer DAC. I was mostly using various very good full size CD players to my Asgard or Micro Amp. I actually bought the Micro for the 650 and K702 last time and it was my upgrade. I bet the ODAC will be amazing with the HD-650. I should have time off on Sunday to waste half a day listening to music!

So far these don't sound bloated in the bass or muffled at all (yet). Just early impressions. Maybe the pair I had was a lemon. Doubt it. I do know that very warm recordings were kind of muffled and had lots of bass bleed. I didn't realize this until I EQed down the bass. Maybe something else was going on with my setup. I do clearly remember returning the first pair that sounded good and exchanging it for another (first had a paint defect). The replacement sounded a bit worse and it felt like something was missing.

Hopefully my impression of them doesn't change with the Headroom Micro + ODAC. I also have the E9 around to test out. I also bought a DHC cable for my HD-580 awhile back, but I usually just use the stock cable.

BTW it's kind of cool now having the HD-580, 598, 600, 650. I'm actually not a Sennheiser fan. More of a DJ100 or Q701 fanboy
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #8,692 of 46,499
tdock, that's funny I just got mine today too, I own and love the q701's. If I had to make a quick noticeable difference between the q701's and the hd650's it would be soundstage,imaging,treble is imo better on the q701's. But holy**** female/male voices sound SOOO amazing, I wish there was more energy even if it wouldn't make it practical. I love the overall balance of the hd650's they don't sound boring but I don't listen to boring music so that might make sense <.<. if I wanted to turn up the notch of a song i'd drop the q701's on but I am definitely going to see if I could get a pair of he-500's to finish my hat trick of headphones. btw my dac+amp combo is the dragonyfly>o2 amp. 

if I had to describe the sound difference between the two I feel like someone is singing to me on the hd650's while I feel the q701's give me the on stage feel maybe someone else can kinda agree with that statement LOL. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #8,693 of 46,499
Quote:
[...]

Hopefully my impression of them doesn't change with the Headroom Micro + ODAC. I also have the E9 around to test out. I also bought a DHC cable for my HD-580 awhile back, but I usually just use the stock cable.

BTW it's kind of cool now having the HD-580, 598, 600, 650. I'm actually not a Sennheiser fan. More of a DJ100 or Q701 fanboy
biggrin.gif

If I didn't already own the HD 650, your review would make me want to buy one.

I think you'll be pleased with the ODAC. My impression of the '650 went up when I started using one.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #8,694 of 46,499
Quote:
Contemplating getting these or their brother, the 600, but would you mind weighing in on what's most cost effective?

Now:
Motherboard -> Audio-gd Sparrow A -> K550

Possible:
Motherboard -> Audio-gd Sparrow A -> HD650 (500)
Motherboard -> Matrix M-stage or Lovely Cube -> HD650 (500 + 300/200 - What I can get for a Sparrow on FS)
Motherboard -> HD650 (500 - What I can get for a Sparrow on FS)

I really like Classical and Pop, but the K550s are a bit behind on pop, while phenomenal with classical.

I would try the hd650's with the sparrow, looking at the spec it's quite a beast in terms of power more than a M-stage.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #8,695 of 46,499
Quote:
Got a pair of these today. I was looking forward to them and my UPS guy decided to not leave them. I'm actually not too worried about this, but I wanted them TODAY!
Due to working until 8am I wasn't able to get to the door. Turns out they had come back.

No chance to really listen to them on my main setup yet because I had to work and had a early deadline.

I used them with my Total Airhead (portable) amp from Sansa Clip+ using FLAC files. I made a tiny Double Helix interconnect cable from some scrap wire someone sent me.
Really, really impressed with them in comparison to my HD-600/580 (have both..yeah i'm weird).

No bloated bass or massive mid-bass hump. There's some bass in songs that I feel like wasn't as present on the HD-600..or almost absent (maybe not). I don't mean it's making it worse or anything. Still accurate. These are songs i've heard millions of times. Biggest difference seems to be the soundstaging. It seems that some instruments sound like they're placed almost to my right and left and almost behind my ears! Like do you ever hear something in a recording with a good headphone and you're almost wanting to look behind you. The soundstage wasn't huge due to it being the HD-650 and used with a portable amp/source. Never got this effect with the HD-600/580 ever. I do with my Q701.

Female vocals with this setup so far are definitely better than the HD-580/600. The mids are much fuller sounding. I thought that if the HD-600 had any "thicker" mids it'd be ruined, but I guess not. You know...those upper mids don't really seem "laid back" or recessed or whatever. I'll know if my amp is adding any coloration in this area, but if any, it's probably mild. The Airhead's impedance output is around 1.7-2ohm or something like that. My Micro is a bit better at .5 ohm. The Airhead is pretty powerful and can drive the 650 (and Q701) with ease. Not saying it's as good as a desktop amp, but zero complaints.

I had the HD-650 about 2 years ago but no good computer DAC. I was mostly using various very good full size CD players to my Asgard or Micro Amp. I actually bought the Micro for the 650 and K702 last time and it was my upgrade. I bet the ODAC will be amazing with the HD-650. I should have time off on Sunday to waste half a day listening to music!

So far these don't sound bloated in the bass or muffled at all (yet). Just early impressions. Maybe the pair I had was a lemon. Doubt it. I do know that very warm recordings were kind of muffled and had lots of bass bleed. I didn't realize this until I EQed down the bass. Maybe something else was going on with my setup. I do clearly remember returning the first pair that sounded good and exchanging it for another (first had a paint defect). The replacement sounded a bit worse and it felt like something was missing.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, I didn't understand those references either when I got mine, although I had read about them often and was prepared to hear them. It's just a great hp with incredible mids. I liked the odac + e09 on the 650 when I had that setup.

Enjoy!!

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #8,696 of 46,499
Has anyone noticed the ad banners floating around from Sennheiser with a picture of HD650 and a promotion advertising that a purchase of one of their premium headphones yields a $50 iTunes gift card.  Are they seriously promoting the HD650 in conjunction with 256k AAC?
confused_face_2.gif

I mean, not that there's anything wrong with 256k AAC, not that it doesn't sound great on HD650 and even HD800, many folks can't really tell the difference between lossless and AAC, and even the most golden eared among us can tell only in certain tracks and others we can't.  But it just strikes me as a strange promotion for headphones of this caliber or above to be actively promoting lossy audio with them....it kind of feels opposite of the stated "perfection" they're aiming for.  A dealer promotion, sure...but straight from Senn...why not just run a $50 rebate or something?

It's not a bad thing, but it's just something I noticed that was unexpected in the land of HD650!

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #8,697 of 46,499
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Quote:

It's nonsense. The statement is parroted over and over, but it's still nonsense. The truth is that with a poorly designed amp, or one with excessively high output impedance, it can't reach anywhere near its capabilities. With a fair-quality amp, it sounds good. With a good amp, it sounds great. With a better amp, it sounds even better. At least it does for me. Not everyone likes them.

I haven't paid any attention to amps with colored sound, because I don't want one. But in the amplifier forums, you can find people specifically requesting information about "warm" sounding amps. You could try checking out a few of those threads.

Both your posts are a little confusing to read....at first it sounds like you're advocating the point of view that amps are irrelevant...and then you seem to advocate the scalability with better amps
biggrin.gif
  I'm pretty sure your real point of view s that you value the performance and scalability with well performing amps...I just wanted to point out that that point of view might not be clear to everyone skimming your posts!

The one addendem I'd add to your point of view is that you stated that you prefer dead-neutral chains with HD650, while Nanago is explicitly looking to warm up the sound.  So your preferences might not be the right ones.  I personally couldn't stand the O2 with HD650...it was just too analytical and boring to my preferences.  However I was using it with the similarly neutral Bifrost, while you're using the ODAC which is known to be warm on its own....so you might light warmth more than you think you do!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Yeah, I didn't understand those references either when I got mine, although I had read about them often and was prepared to hear them. It's just a great hp with incredible mids. I liked the odac + e09 on the 650 when I had that setup.

Enjoy!!

There's a lot of odd mythos on HD650...probably because it's one of the eldest cans that remain popular and high performance and in the dark ages of when they began, most people were simply not using good sources with them.  The midbass hump is real, but happens to be in a frequency range that many modern headphone amps do not accentuate.  Amps that were more likely to be used in the dark ages, usually stereo speaker amps with a real HP out, tend to accentuate that midbass hump because they have their own midbass hump in many cases (Marantz PM6004 for example.)  On the other hand...it still sounds great there in its own way.

The "recessed upper mids"....I have no idea where that one came from.  First time I heard that was TMRaven disagreeing with it.  Until then I didn't even know that myth existed.  The treble is sharply rolled off.  The mids are still elevated, not recessed!

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #8,698 of 46,499
It is about volume of sales and not the ,01% of us that are into audio as a hi end hobby...

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #8,699 of 46,499
Quote:
It is about volume of sales and not the ,01% of us that are into audio as a hi end hobby...

The only people buying HD650 are the .01% of us into audio as a hi-end hobby.  They're $500.  Outside our little niche where $2k is a "reasonable price for a very high end headphone" people would laugh, then cry, at a $500 headphone
eek.gif

And I don't think the pro-audio studio set buying 650's is interested in the iTunes card
wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #8,700 of 46,499
Not interested??!! You know how many songs I can cram on my iPod at 128? LOTS!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back