Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #8,716 of 46,533
Quote:
Sorry for all these mini updates, but I feel like talking about the HD-650 I just got in.
From my main (best) setup the sub-bass is MUCH more present and more extended than my 598, 600, 580 and Q701. No doubt. I actually expected it to be the same as the HD-600, but it's not. The sub-bass is as present as my DJ100 (I won't go there!), which makes me very, very happy.

Sennheiser's press release make it seem like the HD 650 is a re-engineered HD 600.

Warning: Marketeering-speak ahead.

Even more so than the HD 600, the emphasis is on expressiveness and emotion. Therefore, with the HD 650, the demanding high-end fan can now enjoy the ultimate in dynamic headphones [...]

This intensive research revealed an interesting fact: that listening habits have changed. Today, people prefer to "feel" the music rather than to analyze it. The result was the HD 650 – headphones that captivate the listener with the ultimate in lifelike reproduction, while still maintaining absolute precision.

The FR graphs make the two look similar, with an added "mid-bass hump" on the HD 650. I haven't heard the '580 or '600, but I'd like to.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #8,718 of 46,533
Nov 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #8,719 of 46,533
New owner of these wonderful HP's...Subscribed

Waiting for Little Dot Mklll

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #8,720 of 46,533
Welcome to the club Mp0wer!

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #8,721 of 46,533
Congrats! Welcome!!!  LOVE THESE CANS!!! The amp will definitely bring them alive if you're not already in love with the sound.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #8,722 of 46,533
You will hear it a lot around here...The better the amp, the better the sound from the 650's. Nothing scales up like these HP's!

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #8,724 of 46,533
I actually like the DF by itself form the MBPro with the 650's....A good amp is better, but the DF is pretty amazing for its size to do both jobs.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #8,725 of 46,533
Hello there,

Does anybody use these with a Fiio E9 and Titanium Hd?

Which speaker mode do you prefer to use in Audio creation mode console? Heaphone or 2/2.1 ?

Also do any of you use the headphone crossfeed effect in Jriver media center?

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #8,727 of 46,533
I am now seriously considering amplification after visiting a friend who has a number of AMP's and headphones. The one I liked most was his "intruder" where I could hear the most detail, however it wasn't as good as the $1500 Lehmann amp the HD650's were connected to when I auditioned them and I am trying to find something similar. 

I am wondering if some kind souls might be prepared to help me with an experiment. In the Audition I used Celine Dion - River Deep Mountain High from "Falling Into You", which was on CD. In the first 30 seconds of that track, there are sections where there are backup singers, and using my STX and 2 of the lower end (relatively speaking) amps I tried today, I can barely hear them, but on the Lehmann Amp they were crystal clear. I would be interested in anyone who had that track and an AMP to tell me if they can hear it (really clearly) from their amp and which amp they are using. 

It's the only track I have such a clear reproducible experience with. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #8,728 of 46,533
Quote:
I am now seriously considering amplification after visiting a friend who has a number of AMP's and headphones. The one I liked most was his "intruder" where I could hear the most detail, however it wasn't as good as the $1500 Lehmann amp the HD650's were connected to when I auditioned them and I am trying to find something similar. 

I am wondering if some kind souls might be prepared to help me with an experiment. In the Audition I used Celine Dion - River Deep Mountain High from "Falling Into You", which was on CD. In the first 30 seconds of that track, there are sections where there are backup singers, and using my STX and 2 of the lower end (relatively speaking) amps I tried today, I can barely hear them, but on the Lehmann Amp they were crystal clear. I would be interested in anyone who had that track and an AMP to tell me if they can hear it (really clearly) from their amp and which amp they are using. 

It's the only track I have such a clear reproducible experience with. 

I can hear them clearly on my little dot IV. I can also hear them clearly on my STX as well as on my marantz integrated. HD650.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #8,730 of 46,533
I've been using the HD650 with the Rega Ear...and you guys know the Rega Ear? It looks like a ludicrously bad amp from way back. I once took it apart and the inside was horrific. But somehow...the synergy. It's there. If you have one rolling around, try the HD650 with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back