Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #8,567 of 46,499
Quote:
Hey everyone,
I've just ordered the HD650 and was wondering what amp + dac you would recommend. I would like to keep it under 300$ if possible. I'm considering the Maverick Synaudio D1 + Xonar DX as I've read that they go well together (I'm also going to connect my Bose Companion 20 computer speakers to the DAC). I will use them to listen to music/watch movies/play games. How would this combination be compared with for example a Xonar DX + Asgard or Xonar DX + Valhalla? Appreciate help!
EDIT: Should add that I'm a beginner when it comes to audio, although I want to make an investment as I listen to music >6h/day when I work/study and I love watching movies.

If you haven't already gotten one... the Fiio e17+e09k combo is pretty good buy for the price, and I've gotten pretty nice results with the HD 650s =).  The e17 is nice too cause it gives you a portable option if you have some other more portable phones (for me the SE 425s) and it's versatility + features as a DAC are solid.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #8,568 of 46,499
Oh and yes very nice cable =).  My concern though... would the earring adapters add extra strain to the connector?

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #8,569 of 46,499
Quote:
My cable looks a lot like that one. I had never seen/heard about adapters like that before, they look kinda big but cool.

The picture portrays them bigger than what they really are. They are just mini xlr connectors. And again this is not the finished product. I love the adapters which means I can use this cable easily with the Senn, HFM or Audeze. Three hp's and one nice custom cable. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #8,570 of 46,499
Quote:

The picture portrays them bigger than what they really are. They are just mini xlr connectors. And again this is not the finished product. I love the adapters which means I can use this cable easily with the Senn, HFM or Audeze. Three hp's and one nice custom cable. 
biggrin.gif

The one thing about the earrings though, they always made it apparent that I had something jingling on my face. Haha.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #8,571 of 46,499
Quote:
Just wanted to share a few pics. New Q cable with earring adapters for hd 6xx and HFM hp's...

Oh, although the cable is a finished product the earrings adapters are not. They are somewhat of a prototype and don't have the same sheating that will come with the final product. 

Very nice looking cable MattTCG. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #8,573 of 46,499
How much was all that? I'd be tempted myself... as I may just get an HE-400 as well.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #8,574 of 46,499
Quote:
Thank you much!! Super light, lays flat and never tangles. I couldn't be happier. 
biggrin.gif

Just curious, what was your wait time? I have been in contact with Steve about his cables and really thinking about getting one of his. The adapter is one of the major points for since I could then get it configured to work with my HD650 and HE-500 instead of buying 2 different cables. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #8,575 of 46,499
Quote:
How much was all that? I'd be tempted myself... as I may just get an HE-400 as well.

I can't give an exact price as I got a deal because of some help that I gave to Steve. But it's around two bills. 

Quote:
Just curious, what was your wait time? I have been in contact with Steve about his cables and really thinking about getting one of his. The adapter is one of the major points for since I could then get it configured to work with my HD650 and HE-500 instead of buying 2 different cables. 

I waited longer because my cable was one of the very first ones out with the adapters. I'd guess that you're somewhere between two-four weeks just to be realistic. And of course you could always just retro fit those hifiman connectors to use mini xlr's and bypass the adapters altogether. The HFM connectors are awful anyway. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #8,576 of 46,499
I've been listening to the HD 650s recently through a system composed of my computer -> ASUS Xonar Essence ST -> Cambridge Audio 651a.  This replaced my previous setup of computer to a NuForce Icon HDP.  The Cambridge is a much better amp than the NuForce, and the ASUS is to my ear a better DAC (or at least doesn't have the problem of being non-asynch USB).  I won't say it's a night and day difference, but I was very surprised at just how much of a difference there was.  I've had the 651a for a while, but I never used the headphone jack much because I figured a speaker amp would not have had much attention paid to its headphone out.  I guess this is a case of the 650's legendary "scaling".  One way or another, I find myself once again very pleased with these cans.

This came at a good time.  I was just starting to get restless with my audio setup.  My wallet can breath easy for a while longer.

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #8,578 of 46,499
This is pretty coincidental as I was just wondering yesterday why someone hadn't come up with something like this for the Sennheisers that use this connector. Taking the cable connectors out repeatedly to switch between balanced and SE cables/amps is hard on the capsule insert as they get loose with repeated swapping. It can even dislodge the capsule if you're not careful when inserting the terminations.
Quote:
Just wanted to share a few pics. New Q cable with earring adapters for hd 6xx and HFM hp's...

Oh, although the cable is a finished product the earrings adapters are not. They are somewhat of a prototype and don't have the same sheating that will come with the final product. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back