Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #8,521 of 46,499
Well since you did your research on the HD650s then you know that it takes a very good amp to unleash its potential. As a first leap into hifi I would have suggested other than the HD 650. I'd have told you to go with the pro 2900s until you're ready for a higher end amp/DAC/source

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #8,523 of 46,499
FWIW, until yesterday, I would say I was getting the best sound out of my H650 and HD600 direct out of my Dragonfly Dac/amp.  This is compared to my other options including an E09K/E17 and a JDS O2.

I just acquired a Schiit Asgard yesterday and I would say this now produces my best desktop listening experience, especially with the Senns (HD650 AND HD600)

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #8,525 of 46,499
I was going to purchase an O2, but now I am concerned and think I should go back to consideration of the LYR or Asgard. 

I haven't really got a definitive answer yet, but if my STX has a DAC, should I just buy an Amp?

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #8,526 of 46,499
After reading these last few pages on this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if I've made a wrong choice choosing the Violectric V100. The curious little hamster in me wants to now try the schiit amps which were second on my list. Any particular reason why violectric doesn't get mentioned more often?

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #8,527 of 46,499
Quote:
After reading these last few pages on this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if I've made a wrong choice choosing the Violectric V100. The curious little hamster in me wants to now try the schiit amps which were second on my list. Any particular reason why violectric doesn't get mentioned more often?

I think it down to price nearly £500 in the UK for the v100.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #8,529 of 46,499
IMO the Schitt amps just deliver great bang for the buck. The build quality is outstanding and they just sound incredible. I've owned the Asgard and now the lyr. Once I got the lyr with the right tubes I knew that I was finished looking for amps. 
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #8,530 of 46,499
Quote:
^^You should get a chance to audition the hd650 on the lyr with the right tubes. But yes, the AG is nice also. 

I thought about this, but besides having a theoretical aversion to tubes vs solid state (The theoretician in me believes tubes offer more distortion than solid state amplifiers.  Of course, from experience, I know this means nothing because the theoretician in me believed that cable upgrades were absolutely, theoretically useless, until I heard (albeit, subtle) the difference for myself),

I also just don't want to deal with the hassle of "rolling tubes" and needing to buy new tubes as they age.  (How's that for a run-on sentence with multi-level embedded parentheses?)

So, in summary, I'm sure there's a tube amp in my future  :)

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #8,531 of 46,499
Quote:
Thanks fuzzy, I suspected as much, would I get the same performance if i was to buy something cheaper? I had a feeling it might have been an overkill buying the v100

I couldn't honestly say I have to go by reviews which is time consuming, I wish there was somewhere where I could get to hear all this lovely gear.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #8,532 of 46,499
I concur with BobJS, so much to learn from this. Right now I don't think I can handle rolling tubes and/or accidentally breaking tubes in amps.
Soon enough though when I have more stable income

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #8,533 of 46,499
Technically the lyr is a hybrid amp, not a true tube amp. There's not much to go wrong when tube rolling. You just have to exercise a little caution and common sense. Of course one of the great attributes of the lyr is that you can roll the tubes to match what sound signature YOU like best to your amp and hp. Once you're satisfied with your choice, there is no reason that you couldn't just leave them in for a for years. Of course the life expectancy will vary somewhat. But even the stock GE's from Schitt that come with the amp are quite good. 

Not trying to sell you the lyr, just wanted to share my experience. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #8,534 of 46,499
yeah it'll be lovely to audition the headset with pair of many combination since i see many recommendation i really hope we could just waltz into some store and get a honest professional advice without them bugging me to buy the most expensive one.  
Quote:
Well since you did your research on the HD650s then you know that it takes a very good amp to unleash its potential. As a first leap into hifi I would have suggested other than the HD 650. I'd have told you to go with the pro 2900s until you're ready for a higher end amp/DAC/source

and don't throw me stone for this question, but is the source mean the format of the song? speaking of format i've tried 192 khz lossless format and compared it with 44.1 khz, not much difference. but saying that without an amp might not mean much. Seen many articles about amp and impedance of a headphone. what exactly amp does? if i'm not mistaken it open up the dynamic range of the signal across the spectrum? how can i choose an amp suited to my needs or its purely subjective and not based on technical data? 

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #8,535 of 46,499
Quote:
I was going to purchase an O2, but now I am concerned and think I should go back to consideration of the LYR or Asgard. 

I haven't really got a definitive answer yet, but if my STX has a DAC, should I just buy an Amp?

Use the STX (im presuming its a soundcard) DAC until a external one can be afforded, or if you like what your hearing don't worry about it to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back