Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #7,621 of 46,499
Quote:
It's not the bass (not all of it) that's lacking, it's just the sub-bass, the really deep frequencies. And I'm the one who noticed it, sadly, I can't blame anyone else :wink:

But you are right, maybe I'll get over it. I won't be making any impulse buys, don't worry.

Unless someone knows a really good "replacement" (basically a HD650 with added sub-bass), I'll probably just keep saving for a LCD-2. If only I could stop robbing that piggy bank ;D

I returned my DT990's recently because of the sub-bass and lack of impact, but this is also somewhat a open-headphone trait. They did have a lot of well-rounded bass, but having owned D2000's a few years before that I know exactly what i'm missing. My guess is the same would apply with the 650's if they were my ONLY headphones. 650 and 990 are amazing headphones in their own right, I just need a better all-rounder since I only have funds for one nice one at a time.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #7,622 of 46,499
looks like i'm going to have to download one of those test CDs for audio systems

buy the end of the week, it'll probably be an essential post-music album. either way i guess i can find out if i need some more headphones

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #7,623 of 46,499
Quote:
looks like i'm going to have to download one of those test CDs for audio systems

buy the end of the week, it'll probably be an essential post-music album. either way i guess i can find out if i need some more headphones

So would it be safe to say that CD is....the Allan Parsons project?

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #7,624 of 46,499
Quote:
It's not the bass (not all of it) that's lacking, it's just the sub-bass, the really deep frequencies. And I'm the one who noticed it, sadly, I can't blame anyone else :wink:

But you are right, maybe I'll get over it. I won't be making any impulse buys, don't worry.

Unless someone knows a really good "replacement" (basically a HD650 with added sub-bass), I'll probably just keep saving for a LCD-2. If only I could stop robbing that piggy bank ;D

I enjoyed the LCD-2's when I had a chance to try them out for a while at a quiet meet, but I just didn't really like the comfort factor. Though, you may not be bothered by it at all. Another option is if you're looking for just some sub-bass cans for every once in a while, you could grab some XB500s for like $55 USD, they not bad for Rap/EDM stuff. Little bit easier on the bank account to test than a lot of other stuff out there, and it might just could quench that thirst for sub-bass.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #7,625 of 46,499
Hiho!

I've had my HD650s for over a year now and I'm very happy with them.

Recently a friend asked me to recommend new headphones for <$100 to him and he went and bought one of my recommendations, the Creative Aurvana Lives. Of course I insisted on auditioning them. I found them to be rather congested on complex tracks but they have a beautiful sub-bass, which since then I have found lacking in my HD 650s...

Anyone in a similar position? Have you found any remedies?

I was thinking of buying a DT 990 Pro soon for movies and games. Maybe I should save up a little and buy... what? Ideally something that can wholly replace the HD 650, but how realisti is that?

I guess this isn't quite "appreciation" I'm doing here, but I didn't want to open yet another thread :wink:

This is a good example of why people have more than 1set of headphones.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #7,626 of 46,499
Quote:
Hiho!

I've had my HD650s for over a year now and I'm very happy with them.

Recently a friend asked me to recommend new headphones for <$100 to him and he went and bought one of my recommendations, the Creative Aurvana Lives. Of course I insisted on auditioning them. I found them to be rather congested on complex tracks but they have a beautiful sub-bass, which since then I have found lacking in my HD 650s...

Anyone in a similar position? Have you found any remedies?

I was thinking of buying a DT 990 Pro soon for movies and games. Maybe I should save up a little and buy... what? Ideally something that can wholly replace the HD 650, but how realisti is that?

I guess this isn't quite "appreciation" I'm doing here, but I didn't want to open yet another thread :wink:

I'm surprised that the HD650 do not have good sub bass performance. I was so impressed with their small, portable consumer cans (PX200ii) that I had my eyes on one of the high end phones. Perhaps it's the sound signature that I like, too.  However, if it doesn't have the sub-bass, can it be tweaked through EQ? I often use EQ especially for movies. Basically, which open back cans have the nice sound sig of the Sennheiser with good bass performance? Are the HE-500 worth looking into?

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #7,627 of 46,499
Quote:
I'm surprised that the HD650 do not have good sub bass performance. I was so impressed with their small, portable consumer cans (PX200ii) that I had my eyes on one of the high end phones. Perhaps it's the sound signature that I like, too.  However, if it doesn't have the sub-bass, can it be tweaked through EQ? I often use EQ especially for movies. Basically, which open back cans have the nice sound sig of the Sennheiser with good bass performance? Are the HE-500 worth looking into?

Even with an eq, the hd650s won't have that much sub-bass. They just aren't meant to be a bassy phone. The he-500 actually doesn't have an much bass as the he-400, and although they are more detailed, if you want more bass, the he-400 would be a good option to consider. Also, the d2k/5k supposedly have a lot of sub-bass.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #7,630 of 46,499
Quote:
I've never found the bass lacking at all. Maybe all the people who've suddenly started claiming it's lacking are making you think it is. Likewise I suspect people vaunting the 600s are contrarians, since the 650s' drivers are just the best and most closely matched from the same stock as the 600s.

I use Amperior and ER4P for outside use, and basically the improvement with 650s is massive; they're the closet thing I've heard to speakers, and the strings in classic and jazz really have depth and subtlety.

The driver stock is indeed more or less the same.  Technically speaking, so is HD700.  However all three are cut rather differently, which is to say, voiced rather differently.   HD600 is pretty much linear as a "neutral" (read: analaytical) type headphone voice.  HD650 is very much a "warm" colored presentation that could be argued as more "natural."  So preference of one of the other tends to rest on if you want flat/neutral or warm/natural voicing and how the rest of your signal chain is voiced.  Performance wise the two are extremely close otherwise though the slight technical accuracy nod goes to HD650, it's almost too little to mention.  It's mostly two flavors of the thing.  The big price difference between them is humorous.

Quote:

+1, absolutely true.  Like I said it's virtually the only true flaw of the 650, and is simply a limitation of a dynamic driver with that particular diaphragm size.  HD700 probably squeezes a little more out of the nearly identical driver, presumably with stronger magnets and a thinner/lighter version of the diaphragm.  But there's only so low it can really go. However getting "perfect" performance across all frequencies  is an impossibility.  Getting the sub-bass performance with the refinement of HD650 will involve giving up something somewhere else (recessed mids, peaky treble, etc), or involves spending a lot more money to get something somewhat closer to perfection in all areas.  And that, still not perfect and with compromises.  If you listen to music that requires sub-bass performance, best bet is pick another headphone that you're willing to accept the areas it compromises on more than a lack of sub-bass.  LCD-2 would certainly be the next stop.  HE-400/500 is are options as well.  Denons may have good sub-bass performance, but they're a long way from LCD-2 still, and they have a wildly different (virtually opposite) sound signature of HD650.  HD650 is a warm frown curve, Denons are various forms of V-curves. A "fun" but less "natural" sound. 

HE-400 is a good equal with HD650, I see it as a good compliment, with a lot more sub-bass performance, but without the smoothness and refinement of HD650.  The two sound very different, but in good ways.

Quote:

PX200ii is not a very good sounding headphone overall.  The bass performance is there, but it lacks detail and texture...the typical bloom and "one note bass."  The bass HD650 has is more detailed and refined, but it clearly decides to not attempt that which it can't do well at: sub-bass.  The trouble is the diaphragm size requires a certain amount of throw to produce a certain amount of low frequency sound.  Enough that if you start pushing too much low frequency, you'll start distorting and blooming into the mids. It doesn't EQ very well on the sub-bass side.

Quote:
Even with an eq, the hd650s won't have that much sub-bass. They just aren't meant to be a bassy phone. The he-500 actually doesn't have an much bass as the he-400, and although they are more detailed, if you want more bass, the he-400 would be a good option to consider. Also, the d2k/5k supposedly have a lot of sub-bass.

+1 as well.  HE-400 may be the bassier HE, but the HE-500 is the warmer voiced one like HD650 but with more extension and bass detail.  But yes, if you're looking for bassy, HE-400 is a great pick that I'd consider equal with HD650....different in sound, and opposite in strengths/weaknesses.  Denons are a whole different animal entirely in a Grado sort of way (they don't sound like Grado, I mean they're unique as Grado is unique), so that's a route to go if you want something extremely different.

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #7,631 of 46,499
I made a post a couple pages back, and didn't entirely specify what I needed, so I apologize. But here is my situation:

I live at my University for most of the week. Back at home, I have a really nice audio set up, but it's too big to carry back and forth. At my Uni, I only have my Macbook Pro and a Fiio e10. Lol and as you can imagine, this is just not anywhere close enough to power the HD-650. 

Basically, I'm looking for a DAC/AMP desktop combo that will go straight to my laptop, and will do a decent job amping them. Compact and easy. And I would like to keep it $400 range. I know, HD-650 needs much better amps to fully get the best out of them. And at some point I will invest in a much better set up. But I'm going to wait until I graduate and am living permanently in one area vs. bouncing around between two places. 

Right now I'm looking between two DAC/AMPs. The HiFiman EF2A, it looks really well built for only $169. I've even seen some people suggest it with the 650. But then as it always the case, I've seen some people say it's crap with the 650. (I have a newer HD-650 btw). Then I'm also looking at the NuForce Icon HDP which is $469. But I've also heard mixed things about that.

My expectations are pretty realistic. I understand given my price range, I'm not going to tap into the headphones full potential. But I also want it better than the E10 that I have now, which well lol is barely driving them at all. I just don't want to waste money, and get no improvement over my current set up, which I think is awful. I would really appreciate the help. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #7,632 of 46,499
O2/ODAC combo or Dragonfly. Both said to be well worth the price given the performance and can drive many high impedance and planar cans out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back