Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #5,836 of 46,499
Quote:
Nice!  How difficult was the Bottlehead build?

I agree - the HD650 is excellent with the Crack w/Speedball.

If you're patient, don't mind following detailed instructions, and don't have shaky hands, you should be fine.  I had very minimal soldering experience and what I did do previously I had actually done wrong (with bad technique).  But watch a couple of YouTube videos, practice on a few bits of spare wire, and you should be fine.

The fun part is you can finish the wood base and metal top however you'd like - so each Crack looks a bit different (unless you don't finish them at all, which is an option).  And plenty of aftermarket upgrade options (like upgraded output caps, stepped attenuator, etc), though all I did was the Speedball kit.  And plenty of tube rolling options to change the sound signature and make it look even cooler.

If you don't want to take it on, keep an eye out on the FS forums.  They pop up every once in a while, usually for less than it would cost to have Bottlehead assemble it for you.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #5,837 of 46,499
Excellent.  Thanks for the info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #5,838 of 46,499

Quote:
Looking at that chart, I never realized just HOW sharp the 880's spikes were in the treble.  HD800 gets enough criticism for its bright nature, but DT880 really takes the cake...ouch.  Do the 600ohm versions have that same evil spike? I think that answered the question as to if I ever got something to compliment the 650's other than orthos or HD800s, it would be K702s not DT880s!

The HD800 definitely has more sub-bass, and generally more everything....but comparing $1500 cans to $500 cans probably doesn't help Rod's concerns over buying the wrong cans
wink.gif

And regarding HD650 being terribly picky, it may not be HD800 picky, but it's picky enough.   A few months ago I'd have agreed with you.  Having heard the difference after getting an amp they really like, I can no longer agree.  They sounded great before.  They sound really great now. I imagine most tube/hybrid amps will be suitable though due to the usually inherent higher voltages than equally priced SS (where the SS tends to shine on current and favor lower impedences.) Previously I'd used SS only.

Guys, I just went out and bought some Denon AH-D2000's which have fuller bass and seem faster than my HD650. I'm comparing them with 24/192 rip of The Pixies Doolittle and 24/192 Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold As Love.  With The Pixies 'Tame' the HD650 lose their punch in the 'chorus' and give me a meh feeling. The Denons are not as revealing as hd650's but make me want to listen more. I'd like to hear the AH-D5000's. On Hendrix's 'up from the skies' there is a bit where Jimi moves from speaker to speaker at this the HD650's kill! For this D2000s are a bit muddy.

For me the HD650 love classic rock and are not so good at indie but get the right source and they are amazing. The denon's are good all-rounders.

The big winner is the iBasso D7 which is amazing! 

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #5,840 of 46,499
Quite nice all round headphones imo.... Although if you mainly listen to electronic music or hip hop I would buy something else.... Ideally you want to get 2 sets of headphones.... HD650 for a lot of genres and a pair of closed headphones such as ultrasone or denon for electronic music...

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #5,841 of 46,499

Quote:
Quite nice all round headphones imo.... Although if you mainly listen to electronic music or hip hop I would buy something else.... Ideally you want to get 2 sets of headphones.... HD650 for a lot of genres and a pair of closed headphones such as ultrasone or denon for electronic music...

well, thinking about hd25, the adidas version, so i can use it as portable too.

what u think?

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5,842 of 46,499
I've been using a pari of HD650's with an Audi-gd Fun for about a year now with no complains. I'm looking at modifying the Audio-gd to see what differences there would be, anyone recommend some mods/OP-Amps that fare well with the fun?

Also, what would the next upgrade path be after that above setup?

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5,843 of 46,499
I realized how natural HD650 is after I switched from my dt990. However, IMO, I do believe hd600 delivers a much more clear sound especially with cardas cable. I tried my cardas cable on hd650 but this combo doesn't sound as good as what i expected. Does anyone ever ABed HD600+cardas vs hd650+ Zu cable? 

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #5,844 of 46,499

The ADA4627-1BRZ is the best sounding opamp I've heard (and I've tried LOTS) for the HD650.

A good tube amp would be a nice pairing with the HD650, but YMMV. After having the Crack and the FUN for a while, I realized that the FUN is a little more detailed and I wonder how a better SS amp would sound.

Quote:
I've been using a pari of HD650's with an Audi-gd Fun for about a year now with no complains. I'm looking at modifying the Audio-gd to see what differences there would be, anyone recommend some mods/OP-Amps that fare well with the fun?

Also, what would the next upgrade path be after that above setup?

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #5,845 of 46,499
The ADA4627-1BRZ is actually what I ended up with in my Fun as well.  I tried the Moon and Earth opa's, and preferred the Earth mostly, but at some point I settled on the ADA4627 as the best blend for the 650.

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #5,846 of 46,499
I see that a lot of people use the Valhalla to drive the HD650s. 

I recently grabbed a pair of "used" 650s off Amazon (they were brand new in the box, cable still twist tied) and i'm loving them and am waiting on the second batch of E17s to come so i can use it on the go and drive it harder than my decent sound card can.

I am also looking at desktop amps to buy sometime this summer before i head off to college and Schiit was at the top of my list with a few others.

I was looking at the Valhalla, though the Asgard gets a good rep as well and the Lyr seemed to be overkill, the WA-3/6 seemed a little bit overkill, as well as making me a little nervous, even in an honors dorm, what with it costing so much and having a massive exposed rectifier tube.

As an afterthought, the Little Country III was on there along with one of the Little Dot series.

I was also looking at the Bottlehead Crack. I'm pretty handy with an iron and have done a fair amount of work on guitar amps, building one as well as a few pedals, but that brings me to my problem:

I have no reference point to compare these amps. I figured i'd ask in this thread instead of starting a new one. Do any one of these stick out as a good fit for the 650s, especially for the price/features (sorry, i tend to be a little long-winded)

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #5,847 of 46,499
I had a great experience with the 650 and Crack combo.  Very musical and refine.  I sold the crack and got a Lyr and thats not good.  Not as musical and harsh to my hears.  Maybe the Lyr was not designed to drive high impedance cans but its no where near as enjoyable as the Crack.  Now the Lyr drive my LCD2 and is good.  If you have the time to assemble an Crack do it in the end its going to reward you with excellent sound.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #5,848 of 46,499

Quote:
I had a great experience with the 650 and Crack combo.  Very musical and refine.  I sold the crack and got a Lyr and thats not good.  Not as musical and harsh to my hears.  Maybe the Lyr was not designed to drive high impedance cans but its no where near as enjoyable as the Crack.  Now the Lyr drive my LCD2 and is good.  If you have the time to assemble an Crack do it in the end its going to reward you with excellent sound.

What tubes have you tried in the Lyr? I find the Lyr + LCD-2 synergy to be good, but overstated. The Bifrost + Lyr + HD650 chain on the other hand is awesome. Tube selection is key.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #5,849 of 46,499
Which tubes are you using with your HD650's? 

Quote:
What tubes have you tried in the Lyr? I find the Lyr + LCD-2 synergy to be good, but overstated. The Bifrost + Lyr + HD650 chain on the other hand is awesome. Tube selection is key.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5,850 of 46,499
The fabled Lorenz Stuttgart tubes at the moment, although I really like Amperex A-frames for the HD650. Amperex Bugle Boys don't image as well as the Stuttgarts, probably not as airy, but the overall signature is close. They're easy to come by and are cheaper too (just be wary of fakes ie ebay tubes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back