Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #5,822 of 46,552
Well yeh you could probably just get away with using onboard SP/DIF sound card or a USB>SPDIF adaptor but I have a Xonar D2 and use the SPDIF out on that... Maybe it is pointless and overkill or maybe it effects the sound.. It does *seem* to sound better then the onboard SP/DIF but maybe I am imagining it tbh.... there are some arguement for a high quality transport such as jitter reduction etc. But I am not sure it makes that much / perceptable differences...

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #5,823 of 46,552

Quote:
You want a decent soundcard > external DAC > amp > headphones for best sound

Quote:
Doesn't an external DAC replace the sound card? 

I was thinking the same thing. I have an external sound card now. I was assuming that if I got an amp/dac like the e17 that it would replace the usb sound card, rather than adding onto it.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5,825 of 46,552
Hi, I'm new to my HD650's (three days old) and my iBasso D7 (4 hours) and I have an equalization question:

I find the HD650's lack slam (listening to Sleigh Bells Treats/Reign Of Terror) and I've found myself adjusting 60hz slider to add more bass in VLC, is this usual?

Or have I bought the wrong headphones for this type of music (indie)?

Its ok I can send them back :)

Cheers

Rod

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #5,826 of 46,552
I just ordered my HD650's, soon I shall be in sonic bliss!

Can't wait to see how they sound on my little dot amp.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #5,827 of 46,552

Quote:
Hi, I'm new to my HD650's (three days old) and my iBasso D7 (4 hours) and I have an equalization question:

I find the HD650's lack slam (listening to Sleigh Bells Treats/Reign Of Terror) and I've found myself adjusting 60hz slider to add more bass in VLC, is this usual?

Cheers

Rod

I'd definitely not say the HD650's lack slam.  They may be laid back, but they have slam when the source material calls for it.  They're just unlikely to add to it when the source doesn't call for it. The HD650 actually already has a colored bottom end via a bumped bass range.  That's one of the main differences between it and HD600.  It's no bass monster, but it has plenty of extension and quantity to spare.

One thing about them is they're very (very) picky about the amp.  The love their high voltage.  If the bass is muddy or lacking impact, you may either need different cans for your amp, or a different amp for your cans.  Or commit the H-F cardinal sin and continue EQ-ing.  We won't tell anyone....

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5,829 of 46,552

Quote:
I'm sneering, because I can't afford the 650's. Maybe someday soon, I will have enough to spend on the HD25's, but I'll be dreaming of the 650's. Should have looked up the price before reading the thread.

Look for a used pair on the forums or ebay. also check craigslist.

if you're lucky you can probably score an older pair for $250

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #5,830 of 46,552

Quote:

Cheers

Rod

If by "slam" you mean sub-bass impact, then you are correct, at least in comparison to some other phones.  As shown on the graph below, the HD650's do roll off a bit at the bottom end of the scale, and this perception will be further emphasized by the 650's midbass hump, which makes its sub-bass sound somewhat recessed by comparison.  

For this reason, I find that both my HD800's and DT880's do a better job of bringing out sub-bass than my HD650's.  However, from a big picture standpoint, I firmly believe the HD650's are better headphones than the 880's (250 ohm), at least to my ears, because: (i) the sound is more coherent; and (ii) they do not have the 880's dreaded small peak at 4khz (which is more problematic than peaks > ~5khz, because it is actually within the fundamental frequency range of several natural instruments). 

Your amp may or may not be a factor.  I haven't heard the D7.  As a portable, it may or may not have the voltage swing necessary to drive high impedance headphones without shortcomings.  Per my recollection, this was one of the reasons the O2 was designed to run off 2 9-volts, rather than the smaller rechargeable batteries commonly employed in a number of other portables.  

Then again, I don't really buy into the whole the "HD650's are super picky" mythology.  I've enjoyed mine with many different amps (albeit, all desktops).  Some certainly are better matches than others though.  In any event, what you are describing does seem consistent with how these headphones measure.  Hope this helps some!

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #5,831 of 46,552

Quote:

If by "slam" you mean sub-bass impact, then you are correct, at least in comparison to some other phones.  As shown on the graph below, the HD650's do roll off a bit at the bottom end of the scale, and this perception will be further emphasized by the 650's midbass hump, which makes its sub-bass sound somewhat recessed by comparison.  

For this reason, I find that both my HD800's and DT880's do a better job of bringing out sub-bass than my HD650's.  However, from a big picture standpoint, I firmly believe the HD650's are better headphones than the 880's (250 ohm), at least to my ears, because: (i) the sound is more coherent; and (ii) they do not have the 880's dreaded small peak at 4khz (which is more problematic than peaks > ~5khz, because it is actually within the fundamental frequency range of several natural instruments). 

Your amp may or may not be a factor.  I haven't heard the D7.  As a portable, it may or may not have the voltage swing necessary to drive high impedance headphones without shortcomings.  Per my recollection, this was one of the reasons the O2 was designed to run off 2 9-volts, rather than the smaller rechargeable batteries commonly employed in a number of other portables.  

Then again, I don't really buy into the whole the "HD650's are super picky" mythology.  I've enjoyed mine with many different amps (albeit, all desktops).  Some certainly are better matches than others though.  In any event, what you are describing does seem consistent with how these headphones measure.  Hope this helps some!

Skeptic, they sound excellent with a bit of boost for acts like Sleigh bells and they are amazing 'flat' with some 70's Bowie like 'the belay brothers', heard detail that I've never heard before on the track but I was wondering what other users do or are using to get their bass fix from these cans?

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #5,832 of 46,552
I finally jumped into the full-size can game with a pair of these merely a week before the apparent price increase. I paired them with a Valhalla and have been really pleased with the results so far. Currently I'm researching DACs to add to my rig.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5,833 of 46,552

Quote:

Looking at that chart, I never realized just HOW sharp the 880's spikes were in the treble.  HD800 gets enough criticism for its bright nature, but DT880 really takes the cake...ouch.  Do the 600ohm versions have that same evil spike? I think that answered the question as to if I ever got something to compliment the 650's other than orthos or HD800s, it would be K702s not DT880s!

The HD800 definitely has more sub-bass, and generally more everything....but comparing $1500 cans to $500 cans probably doesn't help Rod's concerns over buying the wrong cans
wink.gif

And regarding HD650 being terribly picky, it may not be HD800 picky, but it's picky enough.   A few months ago I'd have agreed with you.  Having heard the difference after getting an amp they really like, I can no longer agree.  They sounded great before.  They sound really great now. I imagine most tube/hybrid amps will be suitable though due to the usually inherent higher voltages than equally priced SS (where the SS tends to shine on current and favor lower impedences.) Previously I'd used SS only.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #5,834 of 46,552
I've had my 650's over a year now, and used then with an Audio-gd Fun the entire time without any dissatisfaction.  I've been wanting to build the Bottlehead Crack, and finally was able to get the kit over the holiday's, there was a long delay in them shipping it out.  I've got the basic kit built, with the speedball to go in next.  But, WOW!  Not that the Fun sounds bad, but even the basic crack kit in completely stock form really elevates the 650.  I know a DIY amp is not for everyone, but if you are even a little inclined to build this, you'll likely be very satisfied.  I'm going to try some tube rolling, but these stock tubes a GE 12AU7 and a Westinghouse 6080 sound great. Great soundstage, fuller, the Fun sounds thin now by comparison.  I'm still using the DAC out on the Fun, and will likely use this combo for the foreseeable future.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back